Community Forum

The Rare Breed Repopulation Community (2023 Edition)

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Re: The Rare Breed Repopulation Community (2023 Edition)

Post by EclipticEnd »

Stick wrote:Hey y'all. Don't know if anyone is working on Chinese Ponies or Tibetan Ponies, but I'm trying to work on my stock to get them more in line with maybe achieving a successful Hequ. So, I'm looking for purchases and/or studs that are some combination of tall height ratings, big build ratings, and high pony type ratings. Or, potentially looking for help affording more breedings with a couple very expensive studs on the market that have these ratings. :lol:
You can check in here for anything that may be of use. I'd probably be happy to sell any of these guys at this point and breed more in the future when I need them again. Stud fees would be 1k and I'd like to sell them at 5-10k per.
Stick
Visit My Farm

Post by Stick »

EclipticEnd wrote:You can check in here for anything that may be of use. I'd probably be happy to sell any of these guys at this point and breed more in the future when I need them again. Stud fees would be 1k and I'd like to sell them at 5-10k per.
Aah, you're awesome! I would absolutely love that. If these guys age pretty slowly, I would love to stud from The End (and maybe also Silence Speaks if you're willing to offer two), but if they are aging quickly, then I would buy them.

Thank you so much for the offers! :D
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Stick wrote:Aah, you're awesome! I would absolutely love that. If these guys age pretty slowly, I would love to stud from The End (and maybe also Silence Speaks if you're willing to offer two), but if they are aging quickly, then I would buy them.

Thank you so much for the offers! :D
They're in my freeze farm so they won't be aging at all. Silence is a mare so I'd be selling her if you wanted her? If you're looking to make Hequ then I'd suggest against End as he's a Sumba and not a recipe horse for that breed. I'll put him up regardless and leave him up for a day or two for you.

My best for Hequ are these two mares: 1 2. Unfortunately my colt doesn't eval the best, but I'd be open to selling the mares.
Stick
Visit My Farm

Post by Stick »

EclipticEnd wrote:They're in my freeze farm so they won't be aging at all. Silence is a mare so I'd be selling her if you wanted her? If you're looking to make Hequ then I'd suggest against End as he's a Sumba and not a recipe horse for that breed. I'll put him up regardless and leave him up for a day or two for you.

My best for Hequ are these two mares: 1 2. Unfortunately my colt doesn't eval the best, but I'd be open to selling the mares.
Wow... I know I have my unobservant moments, but this is impressive even for me. I had seen a couple of Tibetans in that stable and gone "ah, they must all be Tibetans!", completely missing that The End was a Sumba. And after that, I also managed to think that Silence was a stallion. And I think I also checked her eval for Tibetan instead of Hequ... I clearly was not awake.

In any case, I am having a very hard time keeping height on my foals when working toward Hequ, so I'm worried that those two mares won't help me get much closer than what I'm already working with--that's why I was hoping to find a tall stud to pair my short girls with. At this point, I'm wondering if I should just go back a step and try to re-breed Tibetans and cross my fingers for taller results. But, on the other hand, I'm also worried that I'd lose my one 5* girl in the process.

So... yeah. If anyone has any advice for this predicament, I'm all ears.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Stick wrote:Wow... I know I have my unobservant moments, but this is impressive even for me. I had seen a couple of Tibetans in that stable and gone "ah, they must all be Tibetans!", completely missing that The End was a Sumba. And after that, I also managed to think that Silence was a stallion. And I think I also checked her eval for Tibetan instead of Hequ... I clearly was not awake.

In any case, I am having a very hard time keeping height on my foals when working toward Hequ, so I'm worried that those two mares won't help me get much closer than what I'm already working with--that's why I was hoping to find a tall stud to pair my short girls with. At this point, I'm wondering if I should just go back a step and try to re-breed Tibetans and cross my fingers for taller results. But, on the other hand, I'm also worried that I'd lose my one 5* girl in the process.

So... yeah. If anyone has any advice for this predicament, I'm all ears.
No worries, I've done that before as well. : )

It looks like the Tibetan Pony eval sits at 10.3-13hh and Hequ are 12.3-14hh. I can see the issue there. It'd certainly be possible to get a taller Tibetan going. You wouldn't necessarily even have to breed a new one, just breed the ones you have and keep the tallest foals, then breed those together and so on. That's a good bit of effort though and a lot of time. If you decide to do that then I'd be willing to hold on to your 5* for you until you need her so that she doesn't age.

My personal suggestion would be ignoring the height requirement for your Tibetans. The Hequ recipe is [ Caspian x Mongolian ] x [ Mongolian x Tibetan Pony ] and Mongolians have an eval for 11.3-14hh. It's very possible that you might find a taller Mongolian to fix that height issue; mixing the Tibetans and Mongolians will force you to have to re-balance everything again anyway, so wait until that section to perfect their evaluations. Same with Caspians since they're even shorter and will be relying on Mongolians to help them out. Get close evaluations in the individuals, then perfect the crosses as well as you can. 4* evaluations are just as good as 5* honestly, so long as they have a partner who can easily make the missing eval balance out.

Hope that helps!
Stick
Visit My Farm

Post by Stick »

EclipticEnd wrote:It looks like the Tibetan Pony eval sits at 10.3-13hh and Hequ are 12.3-14hh. I can see the issue there. It'd certainly be possible to get a taller Tibetan going. You wouldn't necessarily even have to breed a new one, just breed the ones you have and keep the tallest foals, then breed those together and so on. That's a good bit of effort though and a lot of time. If you decide to do that then I'd be willing to hold on to your 5* for you until you need her so that she doesn't age.

My personal suggestion would be ignoring the height requirement for your Tibetans. The Hequ recipe is [ Caspian x Mongolian ] x [ Mongolian x Tibetan Pony ] and Mongolians have an eval for 11.3-14hh. It's very possible that you might find a taller Mongolian to fix that height issue; mixing the Tibetans and Mongolians will force you to have to re-balance everything again anyway, so wait until that section to perfect their evaluations. Same with Caspians since they're even shorter and will be relying on Mongolians to help them out. Get close evaluations in the individuals, then perfect the crosses as well as you can. 4* evaluations are just as good as 5* honestly, so long as they have a partner who can easily make the missing eval balance out.
I think I get what you're saying. Basically, make a line of Mongolian/Tibetan crosses and try to work the height problem out there, instead of fixing it in the Tibetans first? (Same with the Caspian/Mongolians, which... yeah, they are also a problem, haha.)

I'd been wondering if it would help the penchant for height to stick around better if I sorted it out in the earlier breeds first. Or, at least, I'd had the thought of "what if the Tibetans that I currently have just aren't going to work?" So, if you think that's not the case, I will happily try to move forward and try to focus on a line of mixes instead.

I'm about to head out on an out-of-state trip until the middle of the month, so I probably won't be able to play a lot until I'm home again. Might the offer of storing my 5* girl still be good then? I think I'd still like to preserve her if I do get the time to power through a bunch of turns, but it likely wouldn't happen until later in the month.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Stick wrote:I think I get what you're saying. Basically, make a line of Mongolian/Tibetan crosses and try to work the height problem out there, instead of fixing it in the Tibetans first? (Same with the Caspian/Mongolians, which... yeah, they are also a problem, haha.)

I'd been wondering if it would help the penchant for height to stick around better if I sorted it out in the earlier breeds first. Or, at least, I'd had the thought of "what if the Tibetans that I currently have just aren't going to work?" So, if you think that's not the case, I will happily try to move forward and try to focus on a line of mixes instead.

I'm about to head out on an out-of-state trip until the middle of the month, so I probably won't be able to play a lot until I'm home again. Might the offer of storing my 5* girl still be good then? I think I'd still like to preserve her if I do get the time to power through a bunch of turns, but it likely wouldn't happen until later in the month.
Exactly. It's likely you'll still get some shorter ones from the Caspian or Tibetan side of things, but you should also get a few taller ones from the Mongolian side. In my experience, perfecting a horse that you then have to crossbreed for a recipe isn't overly worth it since the crossbred foals are what you'll be using. If you can get pretty close with the pures then the crosses will be pretty close as well; those will be the ones that matter in the end so it's not worth spending too much time on their purebred parents.

Can do, I won't be doing any turns for a while anyway so it's not an issue at all. Sorry for the late reply. I'm down a computer and can't always get online on one each day. I'll check to see if you have that horse up for offers and I'll offer $1 on it if you do. If you don't then you'll have to ping me when it's up.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Hiya all! Sorry I've been a bit MIA. New computer should be in my possession sometime this month and I'll be able to be more active. I'll probably be pretty spotty until then, but I'll still be in the HWO Discord if anyone needs me.

My projects have been delayed so it'll be a bit longer before I can really start on Yili, but I intend to do it when I can. I've been trying to keep an eye on the Market for any useful horses. Hopefully I'll be able to snatch a few so that I'll have stock to start with!
Stick
Visit My Farm

Post by Stick »

EclipticEnd wrote:...
Hey there, sorry I didn't see your last reply before I disappeared (and then I ended up being gone for longer than originally intended). I'll still ping you if I need that 5* girl stored, but I'm going to do a little reevaluating first, once I get back into the swing of things a little bit. Right at the last moment before my trip, I was able to successfully breed a Hequ! :mrgreen: So, I've got to take a second look at everything and see if it changes how I want to proceed with the project.

(Also, happy about a new computer for you! I'm sure that will feel awesome to have.)
Queen of animals
Visit My Farm

Post by Queen of animals »

Hi I'm not quite sure how this works but me and Tree Farms have been Breeding Fells together!
There population in about 250 I believe so If I could join or help or whatever you do to make this happen I would be happy to do it!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:00 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:00 pm