Community Forum

Phal's Florida Crackers

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Phalaenopsis
Visit My Farm

Re: Phal's Florida Crackers

Post by Phalaenopsis »

It's been a while. Ended up taking a hiatus for the last few months. Real life got busy, but now that I've settled back into a routine, I'm going to actively breed for FCs again!

Since coming back, I've had to almost look at my program with fresh eyes, and very quickly noticed where I can get rid of some of the horses, as they either weren't performing well in regards to their foals, or I wasn't using them enough to begin with.

West African Barbs:
- I got rid of all the recipe horses (or put them in another pasture as they had living children) and have now started breeding WABs with 40k+ HGP, green/gold stats, and evaluate as 4* or higher for WABs.

Mongolians:
- I also got rid of all but 3 recipe horses, as these 3 were the highest HGP bred. None eval'ed for 5* Mongols, but due to my hiatus, I was able to find another outside stud that upped my mares' body size from mid-30% to breed requirements! Does that mean this new stud will raid my lines? Probably.
Phalaenopsis
Visit My Farm

Post by Phalaenopsis »

As I am now actively breeding nice Mongols and WABs, I've come to the scary realization that I need to set myself up for the next FC recipe breeds! Just as I've done with the WABs & Mongols being done at the same time, I've decided to also do Tarpans & NABs at the same time. It may seem like I'm taking steps back, but FC recipe horses require these 2 breeds to eventually breed Sorraias & Spanish Jennets.

3. Breeding North African Barbs
a. Adopt 1 mare and breed to an outside stud to quickly raise HGP & stats.
i.To be kept, HGP must be 40k+, eval as 4* or higher (if 3* mare, is there an outside stud with that missing criteria that can push it in the next gen?; 3* studs are rehomed right away).
--> As Spanish Jennets have similar breed requirements as NABs, breeding for 5* has become relatively easy. There are enough NAB studs on the market, that it's easy to find a high HGP to boost my own.

4. Breeding Tarpans
a. Adopt 1 mare and do the same as the NAB - breed to outside stud.
i.To be kept, HGP must be 34k+, eval as 4* or higher. Type criteria is preferred to be horse-type over pony-type, as I've found in the past that it's easier to find a horse-type than pony-type.
--> This is where possible trouble starts, as there is only 1 page of public Tarpan studs available, and half are AC failures.
Phalaenopsis
Visit My Farm

Post by Phalaenopsis »

It's taken a while, but my Mongolians have just surpassed 40k HGP! And she got their first green stat!
Let's welcome Candy!

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 11:31 pm

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:31 pm