Community Forum

Buckskin or not?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Lavender Stables
Visit My Farm

Buckskin or not?

Post by Lavender Stables »

This stallion is super pretty, and it looks like he is a buckskin... but his mane is a lot lighter than his legs. So I'm just wondering is this a buckskin or something else?

Woodstock
Visit My Farm

Re: Buckskin or not?

Post by Woodstock »

Lavender Stables wrote:This stallion is super pretty, and it looks like he is a buckskin... but his mane is a lot lighter than his legs. So I'm just wondering is this a buckskin or something else?

He is what is known as a silver buckskin! So he has buckskin, with the silver gene which is what is making his mane and tail appear lighter than his legs. In addition he also has the tobiano gene which is seen with his leg, currently all white markings (face, body, legs) are linked to the tobiano gene. So, long story short he is a Silver Buckskin Tobiano!
Lavender Stables
Visit My Farm

Re: Buckskin or not?

Post by Lavender Stables »

Woodstock wrote:
Lavender Stables wrote:This stallion is super pretty, and it looks like he is a buckskin... but his mane is a lot lighter than his legs. So I'm just wondering is this a buckskin or something else?

He is what is known as a silver buckskin! So he has buckskin, with the silver gene which is what is making his mane and tail appear lighter than his legs. In addition he also has the tobiano gene which is seen with his leg, currently all white markings (face, body, legs) are linked to the tobiano gene. So, long story short he is a Silver Buckskin Tobiano!
Cool! I did not know silver was a thing, but that makes a lot of sense. Also did not realize that he had tobiano! Thank you!!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:18 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:18 pm