Community Forum

Ping

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
ThatShowKiddd
Visit My Farm

Re: Ping

Post by ThatShowKiddd »

EclipticEnd wrote:
ThatShowKiddd wrote:I got a promising looking foal. Tell me what you think
I believe you have a Cremello Leopard. Probably ee/aa/CrCr/LP, might be a Tiger eye and Flaxen carrier. The sire's dropped a Flaxen foal which means he has at least one gene. You'll probably get an idea of any Sooty at breeding age. I'm not super sure when Varnish starts to darken, maybe around 10-16 years of age?

If you'd like I can grab a Market mare and breed her to the original stud as well. He might pass down a bit of the Varnish pattern.
So, When he becomes breeding age I can breed him to a chestnut and maybe get a palomino.
Also, That would be amazing if you could do that. :)
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

ThatShowKiddd wrote:
EclipticEnd wrote: I believe you have a Cremello Leopard. Probably ee/aa/CrCr/LP, might be a Tiger eye and Flaxen carrier. The sire's dropped a Flaxen foal which means he has at least one gene. You'll probably get an idea of any Sooty at breeding age. I'm not super sure when Varnish starts to darken, maybe around 10-16 years of age?

If you'd like I can grab a Market mare and breed her to the original stud as well. He might pass down a bit of the Varnish pattern.
So, When he becomes breeding age I can breed him to a chestnut and maybe get a palomino.
Yep! You're guaranteed a Palomino if you breed him to a Chestnut.
I've breed a Palomino to the original stud. We'll see what happens. I tried to pair him with a horse with somewhat similar Varnishing.
ThatShowKiddd
Visit My Farm

Post by ThatShowKiddd »

EclipticEnd wrote:
ThatShowKiddd wrote:
I've breed a Palomino to the original stud. We'll see what happens. I tried to pair him with a horse with somewhat similar Varnishing.
Thank you so much!I'm so excited to see what they produce and I'm also excited to use my little colt when he's breeding age!
ThatShowKiddd
Visit My Farm

Post by ThatShowKiddd »

EclipticEnd wrote:
ThatShowKiddd wrote:
Also, Before I rehome this stud. What color is he? I cant tell and he might have a gene i want in a line.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

ThatShowKiddd wrote:
EclipticEnd wrote: Yep! You're guaranteed a Palomino if you breed him to a Chestnut.
Also, Before I rehome this stud. What color is he? I cant tell and he might have a gene i want in a line.
Varnish Black with a Pearl gene, Tiger Eyes and Blanket.
ThatShowKiddd
Visit My Farm

Post by ThatShowKiddd »

EclipticEnd wrote:
ThatShowKiddd wrote:
Varnish Black with a Pearl gene, Tiger Eyes and Blanket.
What exactly does the pearl gene do? I bred 2 het pearls to get one but im not sure what it does
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

ThatShowKiddd wrote:What exactly does the pearl gene do? I bred 2 het pearls to get one but im not sure what it does
Pearl's a dilution that's partially recessive. You need either two Pearl genes or one Pearl and one Cream gene for it to show. Horses with only one gene won't show any visual differences versus a horse with no Pearl genes.

It's somewhat like Cream where it'll pale out a horse's coat. Unlike Cream it'll leave the eyes brown unless there's Tiger Eye or the horse is Cream/Pearl. It won't go as richly yellow as a single Cream gene will (such as on Palominos or Buckskins) which some people may prefer. I'll add additionally that it can cause a horse to go Silver when they have Champagne (like this Cream/Pearl on Black Champagne).

(Also as an edit, foal from that stud can be found here. Looks promising but we'll tell more with age. I also have another one on the way.)

Here's an example of one of my Apricot Shetlands (Chestnut Pearl/Pearl): (Note the Varnish)

Versus a Palomino Pearl (Chestnut Cream/Pearl):

Versus a Cremello (Chestnut Cream/Cream):

Versus a Palomino (Chestnut Cream/None):

Versus a Pearl Carrier (Chestnut Pearl/None): (Note the Varnish)

Versus a Chestnut (None/None):

ThatShowKiddd
Visit My Farm

Post by ThatShowKiddd »

EclipticEnd wrote:
ThatShowKiddd wrote:What exactly does the pearl gene do? I bred 2 het pearls to get one but im not sure what it does
Pearl's a dilution that's partially recessive. You need either two Pearl genes or one Pearl and one Cream gene for it to show. Horses with only one gene won't show any visual differences versus a horse with no Pearl genes.

It's somewhat like Cream where it'll pale out a horse's coat. Unlike Cream it'll leave the eyes brown unless there's Tiger Eye or the horse is Cream/Pearl. It won't go as richly yellow as a single Cream gene will (such as on Palominos or Buckskins) which some people may prefer. I'll add additionally that it can cause a horse to go Silver when they have Champagne (like this Cream/Pearl on Black Champagne).

(Also as an edit, foal from that stud can be found here. Looks promising but we'll tell more with age. I also have another one on the way.)

Here's an example of one of my Apricot Shetlands (Chestnut Pearl/Pearl): (Note the Varnish)

Versus a Palomino Pearl (Chestnut Cream/Pearl):

Versus a Cremello (Chestnut Cream/Cream):

Versus a Palomino (Chestnut Cream/None):

Versus a Pearl Carrier (Chestnut Pearl/None): (Note the Varnish)

Versus a Chestnut (None/None):

Thank you for explaining! It's a pretty gene that i dont see alot of on the market. I want to produce a line of pearls so i can spread to other people. That filly that they produced is so pretty! I love her pattern. If you want to sell her I'll be more than happy to buy her for 5k. She looks really promising.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

ThatShowKiddd wrote:Thank you for explaining! It's a pretty gene that i dont see alot of on the market. I want to produce a line of pearls so i can spread to other people. That filly that they produced is so pretty! I love her pattern. If you want to sell her I'll be more than happy to buy her for 5k. She looks really promising.
Indeed! I thought the same which is why I did a bunch of Pearl Shetlands. I believe that the Pearl gene comes from Barbs in the AC, though I'm not sure if any other AC breeds happen to carry it.

I'll put her up for offers.
ThatShowKiddd
Visit My Farm

Post by ThatShowKiddd »

EclipticEnd wrote:
ThatShowKiddd wrote:Thank you for explaining! It's a pretty gene that i dont see alot of on the market. I want to produce a line of pearls so i can spread to other people. That filly that they produced is so pretty! I love her pattern. If you want to sell her I'll be more than happy to buy her for 5k. She looks really promising.
Indeed! I thought the same which is why I did a bunch of Pearl Shetlands. I believe that the Pearl gene comes from Barbs in the AC, though I'm not sure if any other AC breeds happen to carry it.

I'll put her up for offers.
I saw your shetlands and they are so pretty! You did such a good job. :) I saw some pearl looking barbs in the AC before i think so that would make sense.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:44 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:44 pm