Community Forum

colour charts remade

Malakai10
Visit My Farm

colour charts remade

Post by Malakai10 »

Some of you may remember when, two years ago, I made and posted some horse colour charts. Those were rather ugly and, shortly after, I decided that I wanted to remake them in a prettier format

I finally started the first remake on the 18th of June. After finishing that, I left this project alone until the 15th of July at 22h19. And now, finally, on the 17th, at 20h40, I completed it.

288 horses, 42 hours and 16 minutes of drawing

Of course, there is space to add in additional colours if need be but I am Not doing that now.

(Open in new tab for better quality)

Behold:

New, edited images, more accurate to real life:

. .
Now that you've made tour way through the charts, please enjoy a bonus image of my horse:

So, to add onto the images:

Genes in HWO may work slightly differently than in real life and to what I've written in the charts. One thing to note is that, in the game, agouti has three different genes it can be: the seal brown gene (At), the bay gene (A) and the wild bay gene (A+)

Agouti works via restricting how much black hair shows. In the game, wild bay restricts black the most while seal restricts black the least. The agouti genes that shows is the one that restricts the least - so, a horse that is At/A will look bay, because A doesn't allow black to spread beyond the points but an A/A+ will look wild bay, because A+ doesn't allow black to spread beyond the fetlocks

While we do not know exactly how these genes work in real life, in the game, **flaxen** is recessive, **sooty** is dominant (however, the gene that causes **sooty dapple** is recessive). Pangaré is dominant in the game. All white markings are currently caused by tobiano. Metallic (either dominant or incomplete dominant)

In the game, dilutes also work differently to real life. In real life, it is impossible to tell the difference 100% of the time between perlino, cremello and smokey cream. However, in the game, the difference is obvious. Perlino and brown cream will appear in the bay and seal pattern, respectively, cremello is more, well, creamy in colour and smokey cream is more of a taupe colour. In the game, it only becomes impossible to tell the difference between bases (via pure phenotype) once you get to triple dilutes. The game also does NOT have patched double cream foals

The game also does not have all of the colours. Colour genes we know are present in the game:
Extension (ONLY e and E, **not** e^e)
Agouti (A^t, A, A^+)
Grey
Dun (ONLY nd2 and D, **not** nd1)
Cream
Pearl
Champagne
Flaxen
Sooty
Tiger eye
Silver
Pangaré
Leopard complex
PATN1
Tobiano (note: requires a tobiano pattern gene to be visible)
Roan
Metallic

Some other genes known to be present in the game, but without 100% certainty as to what they are:

Plume, possibly recessive
Modifiers for the exact shade of coat
Modifiers for number, size and density of sooty dapple spots, snowflakes, PATN1 spots
Modifier for greying pattern - whether its dappled or not, how quickly the horse greys, what age the horse gets fleabitten, what areas grey first
Flaxen colour modifiers
Dun markings contrast
Primitive markings (note: lacing and cobwebbing NOT present in game)
Heart gene (how well horses do in competitions - whether they tend to get more firsts than seconds and more seconds than thirds)
Pangaré contrast and how much pangaré there is
Modifiers for how fast and where a horse gets sooty
Modifiers for where a horse gets tobiano patterns
Tobiano suppression genes
Last edited by Malakai10 on Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Re: colour charts remade

Post by EclipticEnd »

Congratz on the remakes! They look amazing and they're super informative. I appreciate the examples of the different KIT genes!

That's a lot of work and a lot of time put into them. They turned out really great!
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

EclipticEnd wrote:Congratz on the remakes! They look amazing and they're super informative. I appreciate the examples of the different KIT genes!

That's a lot of work and a lot of time put into them. They turned out really great!
Thank you!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I agree! Great remake. :D

Very nice.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Mega
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Mega »

very impressive
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

BlackOak2 wrote:I agree! Great remake. :D

Very nice.
Mega wrote:very impressive
Thank you both!
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

EDITED 21/12/23
h a z e l 3
Visit My Farm

Post by h a z e l 3 »

These are great! Thank you for doing such incredible work and sharing with the HW community!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:13 pm