Community Forum

Dun Confusion

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Shadow Scar
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Dun Confusion

Post by Shadow Scar »

Was just messing around with some of my old retired breeders and had this beauty pop up. I know she has the Silver, Dun and Champagne gene on I assume a Bay base, however I can't tell if she has only one or two Cream genes.
Temp Filly

Sire:Comp Stallion

Dam:(Tiger 69%)
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Dun Confusion

Post by Silverine »

Shadow Scar wrote:
Two creams. She is Silver Perlino Champagne Dun (alternatively called line-backed silver perlino champagne). Bay + 2x cream + champagne + dun + silver.

Just a note on her sire: he's black at base. So aa. In case you were wondering. ;)

Edit: Out of curiosity, what allele notations are you using? Specifically M, P1/P2, and SF. I haven't seen those used before.
Shadow Scar
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Shadow Scar »

Silverine wrote:
Shadow Scar wrote:
Thanks so much for the help with her and her Sire! I tend to try and keep track of what genes are where. I use M to mark the presence of Metallic Sheen on my untrained horses (this is from the Turkmene far back in their ancestry).
Metallic Carrier: Temp Colt

I attempt to keep track of the Leopard Gene using P2 for the presence of horses with a Blanket/Snowcap (usually called PATN2 gene). Horses that are Leopards/Few Spots should have the PATN1 gene (P1) that unlocks those huge amounts of white on the body (the article below hints at this as well). The Leopard gene is WAY to complex to really keep track of so I only watch for what I consider is the on/off of these genes.
PATN1 (P1) Carrier: Persefona

As for SF I us that to show that the horses displays the Snowflake gene. From this article viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4135 it shows that this is actually controlled by more than one gene what I consider a on/off gene and a density gene (from what I've seen so far), however I only mark the presence of the snowflake gene itself right now.
Low Expression: H 70%

High Expression: Snowflake 0%
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Shadow Scar wrote:
Ah, okay. That makes sense.

And yes, I understand PATN, having been part of the Lp project myself. ;) So far, though, we haven't been able to find a specific PATN1/PATN2. Yes, some horses have the large white patterns and some don't. But there have been variations of large throwing small and two small throwing large that make it difficult to ascertain the exact mechanism involved. The project is here, just in case you hadn't seen it.
Shadow Scar
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Shadow Scar »

Silverine wrote:
Shadow Scar wrote:
Awesome thanks! Yep the leopard gene is way to complex that's why I just mark the presence. :lol:
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Shadow Scar wrote: Awesome thanks! Yep the leopard gene is way to complex that's why I just mark the presence. :lol:
Yeah, most of just mark it with Lp/lp ;)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:22 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:22 pm