Community Forum

Casual iso: breeding partner

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Casual iso: breeding partner

Post by Cypress Creek Elites »

My current project (steeple shetlands) is driving me mildly insane- I’m now getting over 50 speed regularly, with infrequent green speeds.
If anyone would like to partake in the madness I have 2 whole pastures of mares I’m not using (plus some older studs)- I’d love to find someone willing to make their own line to help reduce COI.

SMALL UPDATE-
I am now up to ~57K GP studs (on the high end) and 55-56 in mares. I have yet to breed a green speed mare, but I've gotten a handful of green speed studs and I have one set aside, along with a few AC shetlands I've picked up from sales, and between that and a couple of my extra mares from my mare army (I have two whole unused pastures) I've pretty much got the backbone of a secondary line set up for whoever ends up deciding they want to help.

This project is mostly private, besides a handful of rejects I’ve sold to trusted players for other purposes. As such, I ask that potential partners understand that they are not to stud out or sell ANY breeding stock, and only sell rehomable horses and foals to approved players.
Once gelding becomes a thing I will have less issues with selling horses.
Last edited by Cypress Creek Elites on Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Casual iso: breeding partner

Also potentially looking for someone to offload my grinder project onto. They would probably mix well with a racing program :) some of them that I've trained are fairly competitive as well!
Enchanted Equine
Visit My Farm

Post by Enchanted Equine »

Cypress Creek Elites wrote:My current project (steeple shetlands) is driving me mildly insane- I’m now getting over 50 speed regularly, still no greens.
If anyone would like to partake in the madness I have 2 whole pastures of mares I’m not using (plus some older studs)- I’d love to find someone willing to make their own line to help reduce COI.
This project is mostly private, besides a handful of rejects I’ve sold to trusted players for other purposes. As such, I ask that potential partners understand that they are not to stud out or sell ANY breeding stock, and only sell rehomable horses and foals to approved players.
Hi! I’d be interested in helping! I don’t have much experience with breeding projects so I’ll need a bit of help getting started but I’d be happy to give it a go :D
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Cypress Creek Elites wrote:My current project (steeple shetlands) is driving me mildly insane- I’m now getting over 50 speed regularly, still no greens.
Just a thought that has helped in my own lines: what other breeds have you injected into the Shetlands? I was getting green mov in my lines, but it wasn't consistent and I'd definitely hit a road block. So I used a stud from an AC breed that I knew had little to no influence in my lines, kept only mares the first generation, and now am consistently getting greens with the occasional golds. So it may be worthwhile to look back through your stock and see what AC breeds you don't have a lot of influence from (that are good in your chosen area) and use one to try and add some of those missing genes. :)
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Adding my process in case it helps:

I was score-testing my dressage lines and realized that their scores weren't really rising and movement was only sometimes popping green on my colts despite high conformation. I felt that I had gone as far as I could with the genes available within my existing horses. So I looked through the AC breeds to figure out which ones had good movement genes that might not be in my lines yet. (I personally find that horses direct from the AC are more likely to add new things than using studs from lines bred by other players as often times those old-line horses share the same genes that have been passed around over and over again.) The Forest Horse caught my eye as something that didn't have much influence in the start of my lines and had a higher rating for movement, so it was more likely to have more of the good genes that I was missing.

I picked up a single Forest Horse stud from the AC. (He's retired now but I noted the relevant info on his profile.) He had a decent movement comment and conformation so I kept him and bred him to ten of my mares. Out of that crop of ten, I ended up keeping three of the offspring: this mare (who I actually only kept because I didn't have any other offspring from her dam), this other mare, and this stallion.

And that first generation that I kept immediately started throwing green movement. That first green threw another green, and that second green threw gold. That first green also threw an uncolored filly who produced a different gold. It definitely looks like the Forest stud had something that was missing within my lines and adding that allowed my herd to get past the previous roadblock.

The Forest blood has now been distributed widely enough into my lines that the horses no longer show Forest in their breed name, and I am producing green mov colts with enough consistency that I regularly offer them for sale to the public. Golds are still rare, but I had only ever had one pop up in my lines before so "rare" is definitely an improvement over "almost non-existent". :lol:

Anyway, I would highly suggest looking into a high-speed AC breed that you haven't added to your Shetlands yet. That might just give your stock the "push" it needs to get over whatever obstacle they're facing. :)
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Silverine wrote:
Just a thought that has helped in my own lines: what other breeds have you injected into the Shetlands? I was getting green mov in my lines, but it wasn't consistent and I'd definitely hit a road block. So I used a stud from an AC breed that I knew had little to no influence in my lines, kept only mares the first generation, and now am consistently getting greens with the occasional golds. So it may be worthwhile to look back through your stock and see what AC breeds you don't have a lot of influence from (that are good in your chosen area) and use one to try and add some of those missing genes. :)
the point is that I'm not using anything besides AC shetland stock. Adding a different breed would compromise the initial goal of my (admittedly mildly insane) project
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Enchanted Equine wrote:
Hi! I’d be interested in helping! I don’t have much experience with breeding projects so I’ll need a bit of help getting started but I’d be happy to give it a go :D
if you're still interested lmk! I can set you up with some stock at some point this week.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Cypress Creek Elites wrote: the point is that I'm not using anything besides AC shetland stock. Adding a different breed would compromise the initial goal of my (admittedly mildly insane) project
That's fine. But just realize that you'll be limiting what genes are available to you. ;)
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

I mean I brute forced my way to green speed and stamina, I can probably get to gold
Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Still looking!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:54 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:54 am