Community Forum

Color confirmation

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Meanwhile
Visit My Farm

Color confirmation

Post by Meanwhile »

Is this guy brown or really sooty bay? I know both of those have a range of how they can appear, so I'm not 100% sure where this guy falls. Also, he's metallic, yes? Any other genes I'm not seeing here?

Thanks!

Bronze Stare
EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Re: Color confirmation

Post by EclipticEnd »

Meanwhile wrote:Is this guy brown or really sooty bay? I know both of those have a range of how they can appear, so I'm not 100% sure where this guy falls. Also, he's metallic, yes? Any other genes I'm not seeing here?

Thanks!

Bronze Stare
That's a Seal Brown / Seal Bay. Looks somewhat Metallic to me; Turkmenes do carry the gene so I wouldn't be surprised. There's a chance of some hidden Sooty as well; it won't show anywhere that there's black and Seals are mostly black. No hidden Agouti there as Seal is at the bottom of the totem pole (not counting Black which is the absence of Agouti).

The socks are technically Tobiano, but they won't impact much. I've been breeding Turkmenes from AC stock and at most I've gotten a few random facial markings. It hasn't spread beyond socks and stars in the 4+ generations that I've gone through so far, so if you're not breeding to a higher expression Tobiano then I wouldn't expect any additional white outside of those.
Meanwhile
Visit My Farm

Post by Meanwhile »

EclipticEnd wrote:That's a Seal Brown / Seal Bay. Looks somewhat Metallic to me; Turkmenes do carry the gene so I wouldn't be surprised. There's a chance of some hidden Sooty as well; it won't show anywhere that there's black and Seals are mostly black. No hidden Agouti there as Seal is at the bottom of the totem pole (not counting Black which is the absence of Agouti).

The socks are technically Tobiano, but they won't impact much. I've been breeding Turkmenes from AC stock and at most I've gotten a few random facial markings. It hasn't spread beyond socks and stars in the 4+ generations that I've gone through so far, so if you're not breeding to a higher expression Tobiano then I wouldn't expect any additional white outside of those.
Great! Thanks so much on this.
I suppose that means that this girl is brown + one cream gene? (also, that's reassuring about the Tobiano! I'd much rather that not run wild in this case. :lol: )

EclipticEnd
Visit My Farm

Post by EclipticEnd »

Meanwhile wrote:Great! Thanks so much on this.
I suppose that means that this girl is brown + one cream gene? (also, that's reassuring about the Tobiano! I'd much rather that not run wild in this case. :lol: )

Yep! Smoky Brown.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:13 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:13 pm