Community Forum

Cutting comp with Shettie NAB cross

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
meaghanne2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Cutting comp with Shettie NAB cross

Post by meaghanne2 »

I’ve sort of jumped all over the place with my projects without being able to settle on one, so now that I’m currently bored with my leopard cross country Andalusian line, I’ve decided to do something a little different. While I love western events, I’ve been really cut up that I let my previous quarter horses go rather than storing them, and since I was so hung up on not wanting to bother with breeding into a new generation of quarters, I’ve decided to let my normal standards go.

So! Shetland/NAB crosses it is to get the colors I like and going on from there. So far, I’ve spent some time getting a full pasture of stallions and 4 full barns of mares to cut down until I have a solid group and then move on from there. Should be fun and will hopefully carry my interest for a while.
Cypress Creek Test
Visit My Farm

Re: Cutting comp with Shettie NAB cross

Post by Cypress Creek Test »

This sounds like a fun project! Let me know if you'd like some higher GP/highlighted speed shetlands. I have a few ~40K GP ones for sale currently, but I can also send a message your way in the future if you've got certain criteria you're looking for.
meaghanne2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by meaghanne2 »

Cypress Creek Test wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:58 pm
Thanks! If you ever get anything uphill with forward stifles I’d be happy to take them off your hands! Just let me know :)
Cypress Creek Test
Visit My Farm

Post by Cypress Creek Test »

meaghanne2 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:41 pm
Cypress Creek Test wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:58 pm
Thanks! If you ever get anything uphill with forward stifles I’d be happy to take them off your hands! Just let me know :)
it's a bit hard to tell on this account because *cough* no upgrade *cough* but if you see anything in my pastures lmk :')
meaghanne2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by meaghanne2 »

Cypress Creek Test wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:48 am
meaghanne2 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:41 pm

it's a bit hard to tell on this account because *cough* no upgrade *cough* but if you see anything in my pastures lmk :')
Ha xD sorry! I didn’t even realize lol. Will do!
meaghanne2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by meaghanne2 »

Alright, so I’ve gotten my first couple crosses up to breeding age and so far I’m really happy with what they’re producing. I’d really like to maintain roans, but it is what it is. I’ve also been sidetracked- I’ve always wanted to breed a cool line of endurance horses, so I’m going ahead with that as well by starting with akhal- teke’s. I wish the adoption center had produced a dilute, but I do like greys from the Arabians so hopefully I get really shiny grey babies out of this. I’m not impressed with the stamina Confo on them, but I suppose that’s why it’s a project, just another thing to work on. Besides that, it’s been thankfully simple to get the akhal’s. On to gen 2!
meaghanne2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by meaghanne2 »

I have very quickly realized that I don't want to do two projects at once, so the endurance stuff has been completely transferred over to my holding account until further notice.

This morning I've spent a lot of time sifting through the farm log forum, specifically Aubergine's log. To say that I'm inspired is an understatement. I've got several tabs open with of course BlackOak2's Heart Gene, and overall feeling very foolish right now, but also very excited to see what I can make of these guys. Below is my first gen in a poorly organized fashion so anyone who is interested can see what I'm working with. I'm not great with computers, so this is as good as it gets right now :lol:

Cypress Creek Elites
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Cypress Creek Elites »

Are you using google sheets? if so, I think I may be able to help you out a bit.
meaghanne2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by meaghanne2 »

Annnnd here is Gen2!
I was really surprised to see the difference already, although it was difficult to get foals that weren't medium heavy or heavier. My goal conformationally is to have very forwards stifles and long hips with a Body size between medium light and medium. Their temperaments also range wide, so hopefully I can bring them all into the middle for that 'even' temperament that is needed for cutting.

In my experience, strength and speed matter much less than a high agility value in conformation and BR, which is what I'm focusing on the most. Ultimately, I'll want green/golds in agility, strength, speed, and intelligence with the above conformation aspects as that's what I prefer. I am a quarter-horse person, after all, so large behinds on a horse is what I'm about.

That's all for now, folks!

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:06 am