Community Forum

Raising HGP

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
UnpredictableDragon
Visit My Farm

Raising HGP

Post by UnpredictableDragon »

Hey friends!! This is probably one of the few aspects of the game that I have yet to grasp. I understand that HGP= Horse Genetic Potential, aka the potential a horse has to pass on its either great or poopy genetics to its progeny. That part I understand, or at least I think I do :D . So the question is, how exactly do I raise this? Breeding horses with the highest HGP together?

Thanks guys!
Em
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Raising HGP

Post by BlackOak2 »

UnpredictableDragon wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:52 pm Hey friends!! This is probably one of the few aspects of the game that I have yet to grasp. I understand that HGP= Horse Genetic Potential, aka the potential a horse has to pass on its either great or poopy genetics to its progeny. That part I understand, or at least I think I do :D . So the question is, how exactly do I raise this? Breeding horses with the highest HGP together?

Thanks guys!
Em
It's a little about luck and a lot MORE about culling.

If you start with a pair of AC horses, you can assume they have a decently wide range of both good genetics and bad genetics all mixed together. The trick is, to use the first three generations, to try to cull out the worst of the bad genetics. You do this by favoring foals that don't have red stats and don't have lesser HGP than the lowest HGP parent.
You have to be careful about foals that pop out with really great HGP that just seems to trump both parents. What you're seeing is the absolute best (or close to it) that both of those parents have, but these foals don't ever produce better than themselves (it's a rare foal that can match that outcome, at least). However, these 'best foals' can tell you what the best genetics that the set of parents do carry.

Breeding the highest HGP together will usually get you to the best HGP foals. Sometimes they're not the best pairing, sometimes another pairing does better. Many of the best producers end up being those horses that pop out as merely 'average' in the collection of all of their siblings and are bred to merely 'average' of a partner.

So, basically, cull out the worst genetics that you don't want and the HGP will raise and once those bad genetics are removed, the HGP can raise in leaps, sometimes taking only a generation or two to go 5000 points upward at a time.

One of the better ways to raise HGP in leaps and bounds is breeding together horses that show heart genes. Pairing these horses together do seem to result in more viable foals then horses that show far less heart or even no heart at all. So this could be a solid indication of them carrying a lot of negative or opposite genes (think log pull bred to a racing horse, opposite genes).

You can also try breeding together horses that look very similar to each other but that are not related. Sometimes rather average HGP horses, using this method, results in much higher HGP offspring. But, if you were to use this method, you'll want to use horses that are at least 50k HGP and above. The area that comes after all of the worst genes have already been bred out.

Does this help at all?
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
UnpredictableDragon
Visit My Farm

Post by UnpredictableDragon »

BlackOak2 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:29 pm

Does this help at all?
This absolutely helps me, thank you!! I suspected it would be a lot of culling but to know that its more closely related to the culling I already do makes me feel a MILLION times better lol. Thanks!!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

:D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!