Community Forum

Any Grey gene studies out there? (Note: image-heavy)

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Any Grey gene studies out there? (Note: image-heavy)

Post by BlackOak2 »

ys2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:53 am (Sorry in advance if my post looks like a total mess)

Tom,

Thank you so much! I tried several horse breeding games, but HWO is still my favourite one. I'm afraid I'll be too busy with real life later this year, but I will try to check back from time to time

BlackOak2,

Ah, I see what you meant now. This one is indeed much brighter than the horse I linked.

My problem with grey manes is that you cannot get a fully grey mane with only grey gene.

In my herd, I have seen 2 types of greying tails so far (I don't have good illustrations at the moment, unfortunately, but tails A begin to turn gray at the tips, and tails B begin to turn gray evenly; after which both of them become completely gray.)
And only one type of greying mane (all the manes that I have ever seen begin to turn gray at the ends of the hair and that's all, they remain that way until old age, partially retaining the color.)
*Example of a horse with a Type A tail:
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2893552
**Example of a horse with a Type B tail:
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2896350

I have seen horses with a fully grey mane, but i believe it was caused by other genes (like Lp) rather than greying.

However, it's important to note that I only bred and searched for AC Arabians without crossbreding, and it is possible that other AC breeds carry some hidden genes. (...And it is impossible to explore how Grey works in mohawk, fluffy mane and feathers without cross breading either... Ignore this, I'm just thinking out loud.)

And please share examples you talked about, if you find them. I'm always glad to look at beautiful horses! :)
You may be right, with the gray gene for the mane, being held by another breed.

I dusted off some of my ancient work but found that all of my own gray herd had silver and those that didn't, had Lp (those that had gray manes, at least). But they all came down from certain animals and I did a bit of inbreeding for the low GP project. So... not a surprise there that they all showed the same genes at work. :|

I may not have any in my own records that have the gray mane. Be helpful if we could have a link of all the horses we actually produced, but who's counting those numbers!? :P

I would have to delve into a study on gray genes to answer the question fully, I suppose. But I have a number of other projects that have been shelved for too long to do that. So it'll have to wait for me.

Should you like to investigate some of the other genes in the other breeds... perhaps I could suggest Forests? They seem to be a good all-rounder for hidden genes, at least to start.

Should I ever find a true-gray mane sitting around, I'll be sure to link. 8-)
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Oriole2
Visit My Farm

Post by Oriole2 »

(Got inspired by this new post to finally write this)

BlackOak2,
BlackOak2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:06 pm I would have to delve into a study on gray genes to answer the question fully, I suppose. But I have a number of other projects that have been shelved for too long to do that. So it'll have to wait for me.

Should you like to investigate some of the other genes in the other breeds... perhaps I could suggest Forests? They seem to be a good all-rounder for hidden genes, at least to start.
Forests seem to be a good idea.
Too bad I'm busy with other things. I guess we'll have to wait for someone else to read this and get inspired.

All I can do now is take another look at my herd and bring back some more food for thought.
Firstly, this horse number 1 has more dapples on its neck than horse number 2 (not sure if pictures in their gallery reflect that though):
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3173075
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3169434
(Now I regret not taking more pictures of them when they were younger!)

And secondly, there seems to be a difference in the way some horses start becoming flea-bitten. In some (most) cases, flea-bites begin to appear evenly and relatively fast, while in others they begin to appear slowly on legs, leaving the body 'clear' for longer. (I wish I could word it better... :D)
A couple of horses with unusually pale, slowly appearing fleabites to show what I mean:
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/2896350
https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3173075

Cypress Creek Elites,

Hi! I don't know if I can answer in your farm log, so I'll post it here.

Not sure if you noticed it or not, just wanted to point out that he does have some fleabites, but they are pale and more visible on his legs:
Cypress Creek Elites wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:03 pm

This guy is one of my favorites due to him just... not becoming fleabitten. Like, at all.
Still stunning though. Love seeing new posts about your project!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

ys2 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:13 pm...
I'm sure somebody, sometime will do more research into the gray genes. After all, this is the ONLY game that handles color genes in such a way. It's gorgeous, it really is. 😍

As far as the gray dappling... I'm not sure if there is an 'area' coding for the dappling, or if it's just the way the gray is simply not coming in just yet? It does seem odd that the two you posted both appear to have very similar weights in their gray and display quite obvious differences between the dappling (your pictures are fine). Especially since it seems the dappling weight of both don't seem to be all that different. I'd say the bay is probably heavily dappled or strong dappled and the chestnut is medium.

Hopefully whoever undertakes the gray study, will remember to pull in the information thus far gathered in this topic and in some of the others. :lol:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:21 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:21 am