Community Forum

Training a Racehorse

Join us today and Sunday for a questions and answers weekend. Anyone can submit a question and we'll answer quickly.
Argent
Visit My Farm

Training a Racehorse

Post by Argent »

I just read the "Training a Racehorse" post and, based on the fact that beginning training for racing (or any sport in general) prior to about four is technically training prematurely even though it is the norm in the current industry, I'm curious what sort of adverse side effects the horse would suffer over its career. Would we see injuries and decreased performance in these early-started horses? I'm also curious if there will be the historical type of horse racing, with multiple heats over several miles.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Re: Training a Racehorse

Post by larissar »

You're right training from birth is not realistic at all. There will be consequences to working young horses including injuries which could be career ending. Race horses are treated differently from other sport horses (for better or for worse) and are expected to begin racing as early as 2 1/2 years of age. It was for this reason that I picked race training for my test because I wanted to see how quickly I could raise the specific stats. I had to start right from birth because currently there is no other way to raise basic conditioning. Eventually pastures will have an effect of adding some condition to a horse while they are out and playing around, whereas being in a stall would not offer this extra conditioning value. I'm rambling a bit now but yes there will be consequences to starting out too early and pushing too hard.

There aren't any plans right now for races with multiple heats, but there is endurance racing which takes place of many miles. The competition system is very modular so assuming there is enough demand for a particular event there isn't much trouble adding new ones in over time.
Argent
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

Ramble all you like; I appreciate the detailed replies. :)
And endurance racing would suffice.
Deslumbrar
Visit My Farm

Post by Deslumbrar »

I knew this would be a game right up your alley, Glad to see you finally got on the bandwagon of HWO.

-assuming you're the Argent Nox I told forever ago! (If not, my apologies, but you "talk" like her!)
Argent
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

I'm not who you think I am, but glad to "meet" you, Deslumbrar :)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:11 am.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:54 am

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:54 am