Community Forum

RSÆ project

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Re: RSÆ project

Post by Malakai10 »

It's been a while, I think, since I've gotten a plain seal brown. It's rather pretty
1150 RSÆ Glaze's Dribble Heat
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Started a registry
Malakai20
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai20 »

Claim: silver causes flaxen in chestnut horses.

Aim: to prove that silver has no effect on chestnut

Notes for self on silver and flaxen

We know that silver is dominant and thus only requires one gene to express. Thus, any black- or bay-based horse with silver will express it. One would assume that the silver would still act as a dominant gene when combined with chestnut (if it did cause flaxen.) However, perhaps like tiger eye and champagne, it is dominant when combined with E and recessive when combined with e/e.

A potential argument might arise that perhaps whether silver causes flaxen chestnut might be due to multiple genes (like Lp and PATN1. or the tobiano pattern genes and To switch) To which I would argue: is it not a simpler explanation that the horses have the flaxen (fl) gene and that a line that carries silver co-incidentally carries recessive flaxen - which is independent of silver - than that there are mysterious silver related genes causing chestnut flaxens when we know that silver has no affect on red hairs in real life and that this game attempts realism wherever possible?

I did not encounter any flaxen chestnuts in my lines until after I added flaxen to my lines. I had had silver in my lines for several generations prior to flaxen chestnut.

How would one prove that this is NOT caused by silver?
Breed the 'silver' flaxen chestnuts with bay or black horses. Select the resulting foals that are black or bay WITHOUT silver. Breed these non-silver black/bay foals together. If any of the resulting foals are flaxen chestnut, then it is proven that the flaxen is NOT caused by silver.

F1: e/e flaxen x E/E z/z - horse to use as e/e flaxen colt that is flaxen chestnut (BETTER OPTION), need to produce an E/E z/z

F2: E/e z/z

F3: select all e/e foals

How to prove that it is silver:

Breed together two E/e z/z horses. Select any resulting foals that are e/e. Breed these foals together and ensure that no foals resulting are flaxen (this is to eliminate the possibility of fl being carried.) Select foals that are e/e z/z Fl/Fl. Have a horse that is E/e and Z/Z. Breed to the e/e z/z Fl/Fl. Observe any resulting e/e foals, if silver does cause flaxen, then all resulting foals should be flaxen.

F1: E/e z/z

F2: e/e Fl/Fl

F3: e/e Fl/Fl z/z x E/e Z/Z

F4: e/e Z/z

Example 1, Bad Cruiser

Parents are sire: wild bay (confirmed no silver), dam: chestnut (no flaxen)
This individual is potentially heterozygous silver through her damsire.
Part of her lineage does involve a long line of chestnuts. However, none of these chestnuts have ever produced a silver excepting one case where a non-flaxen, chestnut male was bred to a known silver.
There is no possible way that this flaxen was caused by silver.
If a flaxen chestnut were caused by silver and required only one silver to express, then the dam would also have been chestnut flaxen.
If a flaxen chestnut could be caused by silver but required two copies of silver, then the offspring would NOT be flaxen, as it is only possible for her to have, at most, one copy of silver, as her sire is not silver.

This flaxen stallion has been bred to my Boerperd mares. Results:

This grey on chestnut filly, out of a bay

Palomino colt, out of a palomino (deleted due to being inadequate for my overall breeding project.) Image

Palomino colt, out of a buckskin: Image

Flaxen chestnut colt, out of a wild bay (may be deleted later due to possessing tiger eye as I do not want that in my overall project): NB, if this flaxen is caused by silver, this foal disproves that homozygous silver is necessary Image

A grey on silver bay pearl colt, out of a grey on seal dam - this indicates to me that the chestnut stallion carries silver in addition to being fl/fl (this horse will be culled at a later date as he is unsuitable for my breeding project): Image

I don't feel like getting the images of the other foals so I shall simply type it out - note that some foals may be deleted at some point due to their unsuitability to my actual breeding project.

Grey palomino filly
Grey bay colt
Grey chestnut colt
Flaxen chestnut filly
Red Dun colt
Chestnut filly
Flaxen chestnut filly
Silver buckskin pearl filly
Palomino colt
Chestnut filly
Grey bay filly
Flaxen chestnut colt
Grey palomino pearl colt
Grey flaxen chestnut filly
Wild bay colt
Silver wild bay colt
Chestnut filly
Silver dunskin pearl colt
Palomino pearl filly
Chestnut colt
Grey silver bay filly
Flaxen chestnut colt
Malakai20
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai20 »

NB to self, thing to look at later:

Hypothesis: shade and desaturation are incomplete dominant genes and you get dark shade (DS/DS), mid shade (DS/ds), light shade (ds/ds), saturated tone (ST/ST), mid tone (ST/st) and desaturated tone (st/st)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:42 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:42 am