Community Forum

Black Oak Farms

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Black Oak Farms

Post by BlackOak2 »

mora098 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Looks like I missed the both of you! :roll:

I went berry-picking.
Awe noo :( , I'm sure we'll link up again! Hope you don't mind us using your forum to talk (it's vallers fault)
Don't care at all!

It's all good. 8-)
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Dauntless Project

I have come to an irritating conclusion.
I usually just shelve projects if I find myself miserably stuck somewhere, but this point, after a number of additional generations, I can't seem to get these mares up to where they should be.
Again.
There appears to be two things that come to mind. First, that there IS supposed to be a hard maximum these horses are supposed to be able to eat. This is kind of obvious, if one thinks about the progression of this game. After all, the other aspects work out similarly.
And two, that the bug I find popping up (the 10% energy one) is, in fact, the thing that appears to be also the reason that the stallions can be pushed to eat so much.
Maybe the mare's have since been fixed. But the stallion problem has not yet been found.

Anyway, to conclude.
I'm scrapping this project.
In the future, I may again revisit it, by using ONLY fully inbreeding means, to see if it's even possible anymore with the mares, while still culling out any bugged horses that pop up. But for now, this project is ended.

--END--
I know this is from forever ago but I wanted to chime in. (And please forgive me if you've mentioned any of this somewhere and I missed it.)

Did you ever take into account that mares naturally fluctuate their intake levels during gestation? An open mare on 100% grass pasture will be able to intake a higher percentage of her needs than the same mare at 6 months gestation. And at 6 months gestation that mare will be able to intake a higher percentage than at 11 months gestation.

(I just flipped a day to pull a quick example. This mare, 9 years old, very late gestation (~11-12 months), on 100% grass pasture; 19.2h, 1583lbs (Poor). First day she could get 74% just grazing. Next day, same weight, same pasture, only change was age and gestation, she could only get 73% from grazing. Not a huge jump but definitely something.)

So it would seem to me that there is a fundamental difference in the way feeding is calculated between mares and stallions. I would personally suspect completely different formulas between the genders. I would guess that there is an error of some sort in the stallion formula that leads to the buggy edge cases.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Dauntless Project

I have come to an irritating conclusion.
I usually just shelve projects if I find myself miserably stuck somewhere, but this point, after a number of additional generations, I can't seem to get these mares up to where they should be.
Again.
There appears to be two things that come to mind. First, that there IS supposed to be a hard maximum these horses are supposed to be able to eat. This is kind of obvious, if one thinks about the progression of this game. After all, the other aspects work out similarly.
And two, that the bug I find popping up (the 10% energy one) is, in fact, the thing that appears to be also the reason that the stallions can be pushed to eat so much.
Maybe the mare's have since been fixed. But the stallion problem has not yet been found.

Anyway, to conclude.
I'm scrapping this project.
In the future, I may again revisit it, by using ONLY fully inbreeding means, to see if it's even possible anymore with the mares, while still culling out any bugged horses that pop up. But for now, this project is ended.

--END--
I know this is from forever ago but I wanted to chime in. (And please forgive me if you've mentioned any of this somewhere and I missed it.)

Did you ever take into account that mares naturally fluctuate their intake levels during gestation? An open mare on 100% grass pasture will be able to intake a higher percentage of her needs than the same mare at 6 months gestation. And at 6 months gestation that mare will be able to intake a higher percentage than at 11 months gestation.

(I just flipped a day to pull a quick example. This mare, 9 years old, very late gestation (~11-12 months), on 100% grass pasture; 19.2h, 1583lbs (Poor). First day she could get 74% just grazing. Next day, same weight, same pasture, only change was age and gestation, she could only get 73% from grazing. Not a huge jump but definitely something.)

So it would seem to me that there is a fundamental difference in the way feeding is calculated between mares and stallions. I would personally suspect completely different formulas between the genders. I would guess that there is an error of some sort in the stallion formula that leads to the buggy edge cases.
All of the info was gathered on or after they turned 5 years, so that growth-factors were accounted for. Also, none of the mares were bred until after the info was gathered.

I think.

I can't see me using their yearling information when they fluctuate so much until at least 3 years. And they don't really settle into adult-stability until 5 years anyway.

Let me pull up some of my information... I'm pretty sure I jotted down exactly how I gathered information, because I shelved the project at least once at that point.

Well, it wasn't in my notes, but there was a note in the posts here.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7307&p=314377&hili ... 2A#p314377

So, pregger-mares are evaluated before being bred and all are evaluated at or after 5 years. I even probably tried to get them as close to their fifth birthday as possible, although with this most recent roll, I was likely getting irritated and as long as they were over 5, their information was collected and appropriate use or cull happened.

I did get mares over that threshold before... and I think I had error-mares before as well. However, I couldn't get them to where the stallions were and I couldn't pin down where that error was likely originating from. Although I did find some interesting correlations... I linked them in the error post...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10128&start=60
The last couple of entries highlight what links I found.

I suspected there might've been two separate codes written for feeding mares and stallions. But we have errors that will pop up on both males and females. And the first go-around (maybe the second as well?) I had both males and females popping up with an alternate error that I still think is connected to the feeding error we all see on occasion.
This last time, I used some different breeding techniques and although I arrived at the same result, I didn't reach the same result with both males and females. Only the males. I likely scrapped the project a little earlier than that, but only because my males had started to travel down that path, even while culling out all of those (and the branches of them, the sires, etc.) that produced them.

It was a disappointing run, even when I tried it again, intent on finding the same error. -_- I was hoping I could find a way to around it. *shrugs*

But I'm fine with discussing it more. :mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Alyssa Davis wrote:...
I sent you a reply. In case your mail is full. :D
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Cat_girl wrote:...
You appear to still be having some issues around the site, notably, getting horses trained.

I'll give you a hand, if you want. Post what you need trained and I'll get them done in a day or two. No charge.

Also, I think Horzelover101 is currently on hiatus. Haven't been on since the last day of august, but I could be wrong about that.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Cat_girl
Visit My Farm

Post by Cat_girl »

BlackOak2 wrote:
You appear to still be having some issues around the site, notably, getting horses trained.

I'll give you a hand, if you want. Post what you need trained and I'll get them done in a day or two. No charge.

Also, I think Horzelover101 is currently on hiatus. Haven't been on since the last day of august, but I could be wrong about that.
Thank you so much I just put him up. I would feel terrible with no charge tho so please let me pay at least a little
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Cat_girl wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

Thank you so much I just put him up. I would feel terrible with no charge tho so please let me pay at least a little
How about 10k per?

Always easiest to find them if you link. ;)
But I found it this time.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3832836 <--this one, right? But it's a filly. You'll need to link if there's another or any more. Will be either a couple hours turnover or nightly turnover for full training.

I'll move them over to a board account for holding and pickup if and where necessary. But I'm hoping that you'll see it between one horse getting done and the next horse starting and you'll apply the pickup so I can send it right over as soon as I'm finished. :mrgreen:
If you remember how I like to do it. :lol: If not, we'll still get it done.

Please stay on my farm log for these interactions between you and me, though.

Edited to add...
You are welcome to, and I'm expecting you, to back-charge your own clients for any training I'm doing for you. Whatever your deal is, anyway.
It's a bit of a mess, but you've handled it as well as can be expected. Although, next time, the free money, offer less. That was an exceedingly huge amount, in my opinion, and others as well, it was a bit too much, as an apology.
A number of free trainings and free horses usually suffices. But, because these were your choices, I didn't step in, to change anything. I just kept watch.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Cat_girl
Visit My Farm

Post by Cat_girl »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Cat_girl wrote:
How about 10k per?

Always easiest to find them if you link. ;)
But I found it this time.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3832836 <--this one, right? But it's a filly. You'll need to link if there's another or any more. Will be either a couple hours turnover or nightly turnover for full training.

I'll move them over to a board account for holding and pickup if and where necessary. But I'm hoping that you'll see it between one horse getting done and the next horse starting and you'll apply the pickup so I can send it right over as soon as I'm finished. :mrgreen:
If you remember how I like to do it. :lol: If not, we'll still get it done.

Please stay on my farm log for these interactions between you and me, though.

Edited to add...
You are welcome to, and I'm expecting you, to back-charge your own clients for any training I'm doing for you. Whatever your deal is, anyway.
It's a bit of a mess, but you've handled it as well as can be expected. Although, next time, the free money, offer less. That was an exceedingly huge amount, in my opinion, and others as well, it was a bit too much, as an apology.
A number of free trainings and free horses usually suffices. But, because these were your choices, I didn't step in, to change anything. I just kept watch.
50k per maybe?
I am so sorry I thought u already had a link.. if ur not busy do u mind taking like 1-2 more? ill give another one to offer when ur ready https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3828865 heres the link offer when ur done with the next one. I get everyones like u did not need to offer money at all thats what they want.. but that is not how I feel I was fine offering money because I wanted to. I am only here to chat and help out the community/ maybe train as I am not sure if u heard I kinda quit playing it. so money was something I would not use and horses felt not that important. okay im emotionally attached to a few :cry: . I am so sorry that sounded rude :oops:

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Cat_girl wrote:
50k per maybe?
I am so sorry I thought u already had a link.. if ur not busy do u mind taking like 1-2 more? ill give another one to offer when ur ready https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3828865 heres the link offer when ur done with the next one. I get everyones like u did not need to offer money at all thats what they want.. but that is not how I feel I was fine offering money because I wanted to. I am only here to chat and help out the community/ maybe train as I am not sure if u heard I kinda quit playing it. so money was something I would not use and horses felt not that important. okay im emotionally attached to a few :cry: . I am so sorry that sounded rude :oops:

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
It doesn't really come down to if your account can afford it or not, but if, by giving a large influx of monies, the receiving account is ready to handle so much. This game is relatively easy to earn and keep money... well... once the bulk of the player skills are complete and there's enough pasture to go around. :lol: :roll: But even on this game, we can get ourselves into a bit of a bind by blowing too much of our income.

This is one of the reasons we push Grinders as much as we do.

A grinder will set us up to not only understanding the influx and outflow of monies, but also give us an out, toward self-sustaining money management.

Once a player has been around for awhile and has a regular purchase of grinders or sales of grinders, then it's not so big a deal. They're not going to blow through all of their free money and then go asking for more.

It's also why some of us like to limit the free money to newbie accounts to somewhere under the 200k mark.

But, it was your decision and you're not going to harm anybody in doing so, after all, it is a game. :mrgreen:

On a personal note, or more personal note, you do still sound like you're a little all over the place. But you also sound like you're doing a little better. Keep going in whatever way you're going and well... you know how all those phrases go 'it'll get better'.
You're free to send me as many as you want. I have a pair of boarding accounts I can still take advantage of... as long as there's no drama. :lol:
There are times a player, even like me, can be kicked temporarily from a boarding account when drama starts to affect those outside of the drama players. :lol: :roll:

My basic training fees start at 25k, but I'm not fond of training overall, so I don't generally offer that service. That said, I don't like holding onto other people's horses. Too much risk of one day somebody simply never showing back up again. So keeping the horse's moving and turning over quickly is my primary concern.
If you want to pay-per-horse-turnover, fine. I'm not going to argue the point of money for services.
I'd prefer to not charge at all, but so be it. But keep it under 100k per, please.

Link all the horses you have that need training and I'll apply pickups and move them were I need them as I need to.
I will link horses that are in line for training here again. All you need to do, is apply pickup when you see they're linked and I'll send them right over as soon as they're done. However, I'll be sending them back to you, alone, and not to other people.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3828865 <--This one is not up for pickup.

https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3832836 <--This one is currently in training and up.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Currently in chat. If you want to transfer horses there, I'll be in there for about half an hour of this post.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 pm