Community Forum

Crummy foal quest. Anyone else working on it?

Alana
Visit My Farm

Re: Crummy foal quest. Anyone else working on it?

Post by Alana »

Totina wrote:
I got one of them, he will be perfect for that red speed I am looking for.
Glad they can be of use to someone :D
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

BlackOak2 wrote:...
While I was trying a new stallion for one of my mares I accidentally found something pretty interesting. This filly has a mix of small and medium sized spots on her white areas. I think I might try to keep this effect to make my leopards look a bit more interesting.

ℬℳ Mixed Mess
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:...
While I was trying a new stallion for one of my mares I accidentally found something pretty interesting. This filly has a mix of small and medium sized spots on her white areas. I think I might try to keep this effect to make my leopards look a bit more interesting.
I got a couple of those myself. I've been breeding for the effect for awhile. I have been wondering if we can get just two sizes of spots, or if we can manage all four (my goal is less density largest spots and more density regular or smallest spots).
A little like these:
Fiery Myth

Myths Walking

Days Of Yore

I'm not sure where the gene came from, but it was before the Belgian, arabian and NAB. Which means it could be from any of the tarpans I've used, the Prze, caspians, shetlands... or the single Forest. It has taken some time to show up, so it could be that the single Forest stallion I had, did carry it and the gene was recessive. Which obviously brings the question forward, can we have more than just two size spots showing and if the spots are recessive-dominant to each other, or co-dominant to each other.
I have at least three sizes in my herd right now. Regular, large (from the forest) and tiny (from the prze). But I have only seen two (that I can confirm) size spots appear.
On an interesting side note, fewspots will also offer two sizes to their spotting, although it is much less dramatic and makes you think that: no, they're not two different sizes... are they?

Skies And Wings

I think the other groups who had started work on the appy coats, gave up a little too quickly. There really is some interesting things happening here.
Alana
Visit My Farm

Post by Alana »

in case anyone is interested in more crummy foals

http://www.horseworldonline.net/farm/pasture/4808
monkey299
Visit My Farm

Post by monkey299 »

Totina do you think I could buy Golden Tears
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

monkey299 wrote:Totina do you think I could buy Golden Tears
I don't have a horse with that name as far as I know.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

monkey299 wrote:Totina do you think I could buy Golden Tears
Totina wrote:
I don't have a horse with that name as far as I know.
Golden Tears was a mare I owned and she has passed away I think more than a week ago.
Golden Tears
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:...
I'm starting to get interesting freckles in my lines. Since the last belgian blood, I haven't introduced anything else.

I already know about these on the legs. They've been popping up in my herd for awhile now.

I'm talking about these two pictures.
These single spot freckles on that back leg.

And these...
Small spots that only look like they appear here on the barrel of this filly.

Sullen Star

They're some interesting patterns appearing on her. She does not have the recent belgian blood in her.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Totina wrote:...
I'm starting to get interesting freckles in my lines. Since the last belgian blood, I haven't introduced anything else.

I already know about these on the legs. They've been popping up in my herd for awhile now.

I'm talking about these two pictures.
These single spot freckles on that back leg.

And these...
Small spots that only look like they appear here on the barrel of this filly.

Sullen Star

They're some interesting patterns appearing on her. She does not have the recent belgian blood in her.
I have seen this happen a few times as well. I think it might be parts of the solid coloured coat "shining through" the layers of white that supposedly ends and begins in different layers. Like I have a few examples of small spots and lines that usually end up varnished out with time.

Link to the horse:
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/857855

I have started a bit with my line of varnish roan/no pattern genes and have got some interesting results so far. I am actually thinking about open up a new thread in the Farm logs section to write down things that we know, what we think we are about to figure out and what we want to find out specifically.
This would give other people the option to enter their own results and use some studs/mares from my line of LP carriers without any pattern genes to see what different AC breeds might be hiding if they just get the LP switch gene added without any interfering pattern genes from the horse that carries the LP gene.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:
I have seen this happen a few times as well. I think it might be parts of the solid coloured coat "shining through" the layers of white that supposedly ends and begins in different layers. Like I have a few examples of small spots and lines that usually end up varnished out with time.

I have started a bit with my line of varnish roan/no pattern genes and have got some interesting results so far. I am actually thinking about open up a new thread in the Farm logs section to write down things that we know, what we think we are about to figure out and what we want to find out specifically.
This would give other people the option to enter their own results and use some studs/mares from my line of LP carriers without any pattern genes to see what different AC breeds might be hiding if they just get the LP switch gene added without any interfering pattern genes from the horse that carries the LP gene.
It is funny... well, really expected, but still funny, how we're both ending up with similar things even with both of our lines being completely unrelated. Raikit's sister's farm of black appaloosa's shares similar traits as well.

I need to gather together all my notes that I've offered already. You post the new appy-project post and I'll fill in with my notes... I said I was going to link Raikit's sister so maybe she could also add in what she might have found. I'll also link up any of the other people I've talked to about appys. It won't be many, just one or two (maybe a couple more, I don't recall how many I've answered questions for), but I do remember some of them had wanted to start their own side projects about spots or snowflakes.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 5:48 pm

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:48 pm