Community Forum

Naming My Colors

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Naming My Colors

Post by BlackOak2 »

Mother I have marked as a grullo, father I have marked as a classic champagne. Am I wrong that this cross cannot make a sable champagne dun?
Elegance In Blue
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silver bay dun?
Green Moons
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

So I've been looking at these... I have a lot of dun in my herd (purposeful) and I'm beginning to think that some of the pangare-like marking is actually from dun.
So is it dun, or an unusual passage of pangare from his ancestors?
Wicked Fire
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Both his parents carry dun. I think I see a dishing of color on his neck. So dun or no dun?

Black Ice
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Alright. Let's take a crack at these.
BlackOak2 wrote:Thank You Raikit.

Here's another...
Impressions Of The Blue Crown

Silver brown dun? or an odd expression of wild bay/bay? Perhaps I'm a bit further off base?
Silver brown dun is correct.

BlackOak2 wrote:And another...
Sandy Flecks

An expression of varnish? Or do I have it correct as flaxen chestnut?
Flaxen chestnut is correct, but the varnish is also making her natural light-colored mane and tail even lighter.

The two bays are wild bays. Wild vs regular is based on the length of the black stockings. Below the knee is wild, knee and up is not. (The first is also silver and the second is also dun, but I figured you probably knew that already.)

BlackOak2 wrote:Silver Bay Roan? Is there perhaps another reason why the roan coloration has such a bright color? Could this be an extension or an unusual expression of the silver gene?
Noble Blue Knight
She is metallic along with the silver bay roan.

BlackOak2 wrote:Silver brown roan, but is there a cream there too?
Blue Noble Musician
No cream. If there was the foal coat would have been yellow-ish rather than red-ish.

BlackOak2 wrote:Chestnut, but does she have pangare/mealy? Or is that an expression of something else?
Golden Fields
Pangare on the lower legs plus flaxen.

BlackOak2 wrote:So this one is... different. Best I could fathom, is silver wild bay. There is little indication in her ancestry of pangare or dun and there doesn't seem to be any hidden dilution genes.
Imperial Crown Of Bluebell
Silver bay dun with heavy pangare. The dun and pangare both come from the dam's side. Pangare is hidden on black, which is why she doesn't show it.

BlackOak2 wrote:Both her parents carry dun, but does she have it?
Encounter The Sapphire Princess
Nope. Just silver dapple.

BlackOak2 wrote:Mother I have marked as a grullo, father I have marked as a classic champagne. Am I wrong that this cross cannot make a sable champagne dun?
Elegance In Blue
Sire is sable, not classic. His foal coat would have been blacker if he was classic and he still has faint brown on his muzzle, armpits, and flanks.

Yes to the silver bay dun.

There is pangare, but it starts turning gray with age because of the varnish.
BlackOak2 wrote:Both his parents carry dun. I think I see a dishing of color on his neck. So dun or no dun?

Black Ice
No dun that I can see on his foal coat. The dark spot on his neck looks more like shading to me.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:Alright. Let's take a crack at these.
Thanks so much Raikit. It's good to know I just about seem to have my colors down (save for the unusual pangare that pops up and of course the dilutions). I'm almost done naming all the colors on the farm and I don't think I'll have any more unusual coats.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Dun or no Dun? Dam carries it, but I'm having trouble determining if he has it or not... I say not.

Curios Blue Crown
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:Dun or no Dun? Dam carries it, but I'm having trouble determining if he has it or not... I say not.

Curios Blue Crown
Correct, he does not. :)

With black silvers/silver dapples I've found that the easiest way to tell is usually on the newborn coat. Your boy's color is dark and also nice and even along his body. If you look at this baby, her color is much lighter (only because of the dun, she has no cream), and she also a dorsal stripe up under her mane.

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
Correct, he does not. :)

With black silvers/silver dapples I've found that the easiest way to tell is usually on the newborn coat. Your boy's color is dark and also nice and even along his body. If you look at this baby, her color is much lighter (only because of the dun, she has no cream), and she also a dorsal stripe up under her mane.
Thank you, Raikit. I was just beginning to wonder about those strippings under the mane and if they could mean something. Most of mine carries dun (so I always see those stripes), and I just never made that connection.

I'll remember that for the future.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Unusual expression of silver brown dun? Or rather a silver bay dun?

Scarlet In Blue
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 4:37 am

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:37 am