Community Forum

Silver Black Pearl?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Silver Black Pearl?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
Same for me! That's the whole reason I'm experimenting with these pearls is so that I can become better acquainted with them. If you look through this horse's offspring (and their's as well) you can see what sort of things I've had so far.
I've been doing my best to try and stay away from dilutes. For obvious reasons! Ha!
Besides, I have too many other projects going right now to further confuse me on colors. I'm pretty much good on the solids, grays, silvers... and the occasional dun makes me ask questions: if, and, or..., but nominally my color work is okay.
And it brought to light that almost my entire herd of appy tarpans is nominally chestnut. That is NOT what I started with! Why is it I'm getting all the recessive genes easy when I'm after the dominants? <--rhetorical... but still.

Anyway... I'm leaving the color dilutes to those who are better at it than me for now.

By the way, Barbie really threw some nicely colored offspring offering a good selection (at least visually! :D )

I do like those pearls. Shame I didn't choose pearl for a color in my projects.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:I've been doing my best to try and stay away from dilutes. For obvious reasons! Ha!
Besides, I have too many other projects going right now to further confuse me on colors. I'm pretty much good on the solids, grays, silvers... and the occasional dun makes me ask questions: if, and, or..., but nominally my color work is okay.
And it brought to light that almost my entire herd of appy tarpans is nominally chestnut. That is NOT what I started with! Why is it I'm getting all the recessive genes easy when I'm after the dominants? <--rhetorical... but still.

Anyway... I'm leaving the color dilutes to those who are better at it than me for now.

By the way, Barbie really threw some nicely colored offspring offering a good selection (at least visually! :D )

I do like those pearls. Shame I didn't choose pearl for a color in my projects.
I stayed away for a while, but not by choice. My breed projects are going well, so I decided to work with a little color on the side - pearls with no focus on breed, and then grey Andalusians.

I worked with Appys before (I think we talked back when I was trying to get more white on my black bases) and found that chestnut it really stubborn when it comes to weeding it out of the lp horses. I think part of this is because chestnut allows more white to be expressed (it's that way in real life, too) so people see a lot of white and automatically pick that one. I showed my sister this game and she was interested in taking up my black appy project - you can see her work here.

Thanks! I was thinking of starting work with pearls and when I saw her - a clearly double pearl - up for sale I decide to give it a shot. I'm trying to get an apricot (double pearl on chestnut) but there's only the one stallion up for stud that is visibly chestnut with at least one pearl (my filly's sire - the palomino pearl) so it's being quite difficult at the moment. I have a feeling that either Barbie was EE or at least one of the sires I used for her babies was EE because so far I haven't even had a glimpse of a chestnut-based foal.

And you can always get into them later. :) If you ever decide to try them out let me know and I'll see what I can set you up with.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
I stayed away for a while, but not by choice. My breed projects are going well, so I decided to work with a little color on the side - pearls with no focus on breed, and then grey Andalusians.

I worked with Appys before (I think we talked back when I was trying to get more white on my black bases) and found that chestnut it really stubborn when it comes to weeding it out of the lp horses. I think part of this is because chestnut allows more white to be expressed (it's that way in real life, too) so people see a lot of white and automatically pick that one. I showed my sister this game and she was interested in taking up my black appy project - you can see her work here.

Thanks! I was thinking of starting work with pearls and when I saw her - a clearly double pearl - up for sale I decide to give it a shot. I'm trying to get an apricot (double pearl on chestnut) but there's only the one stallion up for stud that is visibly chestnut with at least one pearl (my filly's sire - the palomino pearl) so it's being quite difficult at the moment. I have a feeling that either Barbie was EE or at least one of the sires I used for her babies was EE because so far I haven't even had a glimpse of a chestnut-based foal.

And you can always get into them later. :) If you ever decide to try them out let me know and I'll see what I can set you up with.
I think I remember too... I'm also chatting with Totina on the low GP's and short discussions on the appys as well.
But that might definitely explain why all the chestnuts popped up. I did start with nothing but bay and wild bay. Either the caspian or probably those danged shetlands brought the chestnut in. I had a horrible time trying to get by that snowcap expression and the blanket. Then it was the extended blanket. Then suddenly leopard patterns started popping up and... that was probably the instant that the chestnut started taking over.

And you have an early low GP mare you liked...
Of Bluebell Royalty

That girl.

I'm still working hard at that 11,000 HGP line. Still haven't broken it, along with others.

I'll keep the pearl in mind, if I want to take one of my project show horse lines and go pearl.Thank you. Right now, color for them is waiting for white of some manner. I haven't decided which one yet... but I have marked down dominant white. Except... that still could mean a bunch of different white types.

I had been thinking of adding pearl to the low GP project... in the future when it's complete. It'd look really neat to have a bunch of silver black dappled and silver dappled grullos and then also have a couple dappled pearl coats thrown in the mix.
But I really don't know how long it'll be. I keep hoping... and failing to produce the proper low GP... so I am having to introduce new blood to get the weak genes I'm still lacking.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote: I think I remember too... I'm also chatting with Totina on the low GP's and short discussions on the appys as well.
But that might definitely explain why all the chestnuts popped up. I did start with nothing but bay and wild bay. Either the caspian or probably those danged shetlands brought the chestnut in. I had a horrible time trying to get by that snowcap expression and the blanket. Then it was the extended blanket. Then suddenly leopard patterns started popping up and... that was probably the instant that the chestnut started taking over.

And you have an early low GP mare you liked...
Of Bluebell Royalty

That girl.

I'm still working hard at that 11,000 HGP line. Still haven't broken it, along with others.

I'll keep the pearl in mind, if I want to take one of my project show horse lines and go pearl.Thank you. Right now, color for them is waiting for white of some manner. I haven't decided which one yet... but I have marked down dominant white. Except... that still could mean a bunch of different white types.

I had been thinking of adding pearl to the low GP project... in the future when it's complete. It'd look really neat to have a bunch of silver black dappled and silver dappled grullos and then also have a couple dappled pearl coats thrown in the mix.
But I really don't know how long it'll be. I keep hoping... and failing to produce the proper low GP... so I am having to introduce new blood to get the weak genes I'm still lacking.
Yes! I love her! She's so pretty. :)

And ugh, I know the feeling - even if I'm trying to go the other way. XD It took FOREVER to breach 50K with my Vlads - the fillies especially. I've gotten several above that line now, but not quite enough that I can look for the next goal yet. It's frustrating.

And speaking of low GP - it's not something I'm working on but through breeding pearls I actually got my lowest GP ever. She's still 27K so not anywhere near as low as anyone that's working on the project but still lower than any of my others.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
Yes! I love her! She's so pretty. :)

And ugh, I know the feeling - even if I'm trying to go the other way. XD It took FOREVER to breach 50K with my Vlads - the fillies especially. I've gotten several above that line now, but not quite enough that I can look for the next goal yet. It's frustrating.

And speaking of low GP - it's not something I'm working on but through breeding pearls I actually got my lowest GP ever. She's still 27K so not anywhere near as low as anyone that's working on the project but still lower than any of my others.
It sucks... a bit. I think we all have had disappointing outcomes with brilliant colors and vice-versa.

I once bred a 23k from a 27k and a 35k... not for the low GP project either.
And just recently, I received a breeders report that read this:

Fairly weak filly here, not sure she'll hold up for you. Seems to have decent natural speed. I wouldn't count on this filly to win any lengthy races. Bloody filly keeps stepping on her own feet, doesn't move nice at all. This filly's pace needs a lot of work, but it's definitely not the worst I've seen lately. This filly looks like it could be pushed over by a breeze. Seems fairly agile, but hard to say for sure. I'm not sure this filly could find her way out of a paper bag.
Strength Stamina Movement Intelligence
Horse Genetic Potential: 12,930

I didn't keep the foal, but it's odd that even with such a low HGP, positive comments can still pop up. Granted they weren't green, but they're not too far off green either.

All the frustrations this game can have... I still enjoy the way it's been set up. I even like the way our admin is hush-hush on some things. I do wonder what's next on the list to be worked on? I'm hoping it's twins (it'll get rid of my ghost horse problem), or white colors, or white additions (socks and blazes). But I'm thinking it'll probably be tack and wearables.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

The snowflakes and varnish roan is just another addition to the colour that you had already figured out, so I didn't mention it since that part was pretty clear already.

I think I eventually will update the colour guide with more combinations and to include the different types of leopard effects whenever I have figured them out a bit more.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote: All the frustrations this game can have... I still enjoy the way it's been set up. I even like the way our admin is hush-hush on some things. I do wonder what's next on the list to be worked on? I'm hoping it's twins (it'll get rid of my ghost horse problem), or white colors, or white additions (socks and blazes). But I'm thinking it'll probably be tack and wearables.
I think the frustrations are part of what makes it fun. It wouldn't be as enjoyable if everything was handed to us. And personally I hope for more white patterns.
Totina wrote: I think I eventually will update the colour guide with more combinations and to include the different types of leopard effects whenever I have figured them out a bit more.
I'm working on a foal coat color guide. That's part of the reason I needed to work with the pearls since I can't find correctly labeled pearls with baby pictures.

And my sister's herd can be helpful with Lp effects. She's just as obsessive about baby pictures as I am. This horse in particular has tons of pictures showing how his snowflakes developed as he grew.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:The snowflakes and varnish roan is just another addition to the colour that you had already figured out, so I didn't mention it since that part was pretty clear already.

I think I eventually will update the colour guide with more combinations and to include the different types of leopard effects whenever I have figured them out a bit more.
Speaking of that, I think those belgians carry a distinction for patterning on the stomach. I didn't keep either foal, because their coverage was... less than par. But both had the same distinct stomach patch from a pair that had that black belgian stallion as a grandsire through the mare and that earlier belgian mare as the granddam through the stallion. So I'm thinking that since I haven't had this particular type of patch pop up yet, there's a good chance it came from the belgians.
It appears like her stomach patch.
Rising Grace

Raikit wrote: I think the frustrations are part of what makes it fun. It wouldn't be as enjoyable if everything was handed to us. And personally I hope for more white patterns.

I'm working on a foal coat color guide. That's part of the reason I needed to work with the pearls since I can't find correctly labeled pearls with baby pictures.

And my sister's herd can be helpful with Lp effects. She's just as obsessive about baby pictures as I am. This horse in particular has tons of pictures showing how his snowflakes developed as he grew.
I agree on the fun frustrations part; it makes it even better that we have liquidity with the passage of time.
I was looking at your sister's farm and I was seeing a lot of similar patterns (i.e. from my herd) so I think we could potentially pin down which AC breeds may carry what.

And, I was writing up a 'A Study In', since I decided to focus on silver black for my low GP herd, I have been keeping track of what the foals appear as during birth and what they shed out to. I am just about finished with it and was debating which forum to post it in. Really, I made it for me, but since I did, why not offer it to the rest of the community. But I'm still tossing up which forum to post it into.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote: I agree on the fun frustrations part; it makes it even better that we have liquidity with the passage of time.
I was looking at your sister's farm and I was seeing a lot of similar patterns (i.e. from my herd) so I think we could potentially pin down which AC breeds may carry what.

And, I was writing up a 'A Study In', since I decided to focus on silver black for my low GP herd, I have been keeping track of what the foals appear as during birth and what they shed out to. I am just about finished with it and was debating which forum to post it in. Really, I made it for me, but since I did, why not offer it to the rest of the community. But I'm still tossing up which forum to post it into.
You should message/ping her! I don't exactly what she's doing/keeping track of beyond black horses with lots of white, but I'm sure she'd love to help.

And personally I would post it here. This is where people come for color help so here is where it would be easiest for the people that need it to find it. (And I personally am quite interested in reading it.)
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Totina wrote:Ping
BlackOak2 wrote:Pint
I thought you guys would be interested - I just bred an actual silver black pearl:

⇒ɱρξ⇐ Diva
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 9:40 am

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:40 am