Community Forum

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Totina »

BlackOak2 wrote:
It is very interesting, and no problem, sometimes when I type something out, I don't use appropriate wording, so I understand as well, I should've been a little more specific.
I do wonder of it's like a mistake or something on those two genes sharing the same layer of the color process that's interfering with it? Like you can't have one if you have the other. Rather, however I think it's an overlook in the graying gene write-up. As in - 'take over everything', but not writing in the 'but don't take over 'this and this'. I think that might require a lot more programming.

His newborn picture looked a little odd as well. I didn't realize he was graying until he was 6 months with the goggles.

He's just a little odd, pretty, but odd.
It might have been a bit difficult to make the varnish and the greying processes to mix, especially since there are many genes/variations of both. Like the genes that make the horses varnish faster and the different ways a horse will grey out (with or without dapples for example). Since the greying gene supposedly should override the coat to some extent (the white areas should probably not be included) it was probably the easiest way to just remove the varnish effect and replace it for the greying process instead. I just wonder if it wouldn't be better to switch the two layers and let the LP pattern override the grey instead. This would allow for varnished "fleabites" on greys and the white areas would be more white than the rest of the coat.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Totina wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
It is very interesting, and no problem, sometimes when I type something out, I don't use appropriate wording, so I understand as well, I should've been a little more specific.
I do wonder of it's like a mistake or something on those two genes sharing the same layer of the color process that's interfering with it? Like you can't have one if you have the other. Rather, however I think it's an overlook in the graying gene write-up. As in - 'take over everything', but not writing in the 'but don't take over 'this and this'. I think that might require a lot more programming.

His newborn picture looked a little odd as well. I didn't realize he was graying until he was 6 months with the goggles.

He's just a little odd, pretty, but odd.
It might have been a bit difficult to make the varnish and the greying processes to mix, especially since there are many genes/variations of both. Like the genes that make the horses varnish faster and the different ways a horse will grey out (with or without dapples for example). Since the greying gene supposedly should override the coat to some extent (the white areas should probably not be included) it was probably the easiest way to just remove the varnish effect and replace it for the greying process instead. I just wonder if it wouldn't be better to switch the two layers and let the LP pattern override the grey. This would allow for varnished "fleabites" on greys and the white areas would be more white than the rest of the coat.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Totina wrote:
Totina wrote:
It might have been a bit difficult to make the varnish and the greying processes to mix, especially since there are many genes/variations of both. Like the genes that make the horses varnish faster and the different ways a horse will grey out (with or without dapples for example). Since the greying gene supposedly should override the coat to some extent (the white areas should probably not be included) it was probably the easiest way to just remove the varnish effect and replace it for the greying process instead. I just wonder if it wouldn't be better to switch the two layers and let the LP pattern override the grey. This would allow for varnished "fleabites" on greys and the white areas would be more white than the rest of the coat.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:
Yes, I agree. I certainly wouldn't want the task of sitting down and writing that programming command code, that's for sure.
I also agree that switching the two might have been a better way to approach it. That would have certainly made for some flashy horses!
Stick
Visit My Farm

Post by Stick »

Hello LP friends! I've recently returned from a roughly-two-year long hiatus from the game, and before I'd left, I was also doing my own LP-related experiments. (I was apparently even pinged in the second post in this thread, but I obviously never saw it :cry:)

I ended up dismantling most of my original breeding projects when I finally returned, but I still have some records, saved images, and descendants lying around. So, I'm slowly reading my way through this thread, catching up on what has been discovered since I left, and trying to see if there is anything that I'd figured out that isn't already mentioned here.

It'll take me a while to get through all of it, but so far I have two comments to add:

One, is that a lot of what I'd been figuring out myself has been supported by evidence here! So, it's not exactly groundbreaking or super useful to you guys, but it's at least some confirmation on theories that you've been working on. If it would be helpful for me to share specifics, I can do my best.

And two, is that I'd been noticing "ribbons" of snowflakes in one of my lines, and I was wondering if anyone else has already documented/discussed this. I'd told Silverine that I'd share if I found an example of it in the remaining dregs of my bloodlines, so here you go:

Zest

Unless this is some other gene that I don't understand (which is honestly very possible), this mare shows a great example of snowflakes that appear to form "ribbons" instead of looking more like random freckles. Has anyone else noticed this or figured out what is going on there? I think she inherited it from her Tarpan parent, but I need to do some digging to make sure.

Anyway, I'd love to hear any thoughts on this, and I'm eager to join in the LP discussion again, even if I'm mostly just catching up and appreciating your hard work now. ♥
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Stick wrote:
I have some of that in my herd. It goes along with my snowflake crown. I put a bunch of them here.

This is one of my current girls:

The expression originated from this horse:

And her first filly for me:

Though I have no idea what her base breed was.
Stick
Visit My Farm

Post by Stick »

Silverine wrote:.
Oh! Interesting! And yeah, now that you mention it, I can see the sprinkles of white on my girl's ears, so there's apparently a crown under all that mane. And goodness, what beautiful Knabstruppers they make...

If you don't know what breed it comes from or how it works yet, I guess there is still a bit to be learned for this version of snowflakes. It gives me something LP-related to still play with.

My current guess of it coming from her Tarpan mother is because her father is one of the LP Shetlands that I was systematically breeding to other AC breeds, looking for PATN genes. Those particular snowflakes only showed up when bred to that Tarpan. I think both parents are still alive, so maybe I'll see if I can get a few foals from them before they get too old.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Check out the face on my latest black filly:

Still missing the middle part of the bottom, but much closer than before. :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:Check out the face on my latest black

Still missing the middle part of the bottom, but much closer than before. :D
Seriously starting to look like the knab breed that they should. At least, I assume this is what this filly is heading toward?

And I'm catching up to you as well! I've had a couple nice facial coverages, even a couple with the no-around the eye like your's have (but they weren't keepers). Here is one of my better toward my project to date:

Still not bay, but brown, but I'm getting there.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
She's actually just one of my leopards. My Knabs have lp in their lines, but I haven't worked on extended coverage yet. I'm focusing more on their stats right now. :D

Pretty boy! I like he has a sort of 'border-line' around the left edges of his body/legs and the mix of medium and tiny spots is cool.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 02, 2024 2:40 pm

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:40 pm