Community Forum

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Silverine »

Curiouser and curiouser. This colt has a snowflake pattern almost identical to the mare I posted before in how it follows along the neckline pattern. He's missing some flakes near the crest of his neck but is otherwise the same. He comes from the same line so it's something to do with that line. Wonder what will happen if/when I breed them together.

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Well, that is what genetics explain. Eventually, if you breed full siblings together in a long enough descending line, eventually all the children, sometimes even male and female, will look exactly the same. Except in real life we have mutations. We don't have them here. So really it's the best scenario for genetic experiments.

But of course, without new blood, there's only so much for so long that can be gleaned from them.

That colt is another good representation of averaging density between a lighter density parent and a heavier density parent.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

I wasn't talking about spot density - I was speaking of the snowflakes along the neckline. Neither of his parents has snowflakes that even remotely resemble those though they do both have flakes. I have never seen this particular pattern of snowflakes anywhere else. (If another line has it I would love to be pointed to it.) It is an odd pattern - smaller flakes than most and following right along the edge of the big pattern - which is why it catches my attention.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:I wasn't talking about spot density - I was speaking of the snowflakes along the neckline. Neither of his parents has snowflakes that even remotely resemble those though they do both have flakes. I have never seen this particular pattern of snowflakes anywhere else. (If another line has it I would love to be pointed to it.) It is an odd pattern - smaller flakes than most and following right along the edge of the big pattern - which is why it catches my attention.
I know you were talking about those snowflakes. I was making a comment on the spots (nominally because I'm a spot breeder and not a snowflake breeder) and I caught on to the spot pattern.

I agree that the snowflake patterns are very peculiar. I just have nothing to offer beyond that. Snowflakes in my herd pop up at random and in random areas, but then again, I pay them no heed so far. Actually, I would like it better if I could breed out all the snowflake genes, but that would be like separating hay from straw in the same pile. Just a little on the difficult side.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Ah, okay. I don't pay much attention to where the spots are - more just who has a lot and who doesn't.

I'm currently working on breeding more snowflakes in, just to see if it helps with spread. :lol:

What I'd like to do but am not sure I have the patience for is breed a stud that has Lp (preferrably homozygous) but no PATN. He could then be used to more accurately test which breeds offer which PATN. That may be one of my next projects. Unless you happen to know someone that has a stud like that?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:Ah, okay. I don't pay much attention to where the spots are - more just who has a lot and who doesn't.

I'm currently working on breeding more snowflakes in, just to see if it helps with spread. :lol:

What I'd like to do but am not sure I have the patience for is breed a stud that has Lp (preferrably homozygous) but no PATN. He could then be used to more accurately test which breeds offer which PATN. That may be one of my next projects. Unless you happen to know someone that has a stud like that?
Check with Totina. That's part of what this new project was started with. And check our other post, I think that has a bit of information on that as well: http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... f=8&t=9036
Probably near the last pages.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

I like Totina's idea of horses from before Lp, except that then I can't add Lp to AC horses that already don't have it. I've found a shetland stallion that looks promising so I may try him out:

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/203515
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

He looks promising. Good Luck!
Totina
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Silverine wrote:I like Totina's idea of horses from before Lp, except that then I can't add Lp to AC horses that already don't have it. I've found a shetland stallion that looks promising so I may try him out:

If you're looking for a horse with no visible pattern genes and only LP I have a black based varnish roan stallion on my second account that I could put up for stud if you want.

He is confirmed to not have any visible snowflakes but his dam with another stallion has given a snowflake foal with small snowcap so perhaps there is a recessive gene hiding somewhere.
His sire on the other hand is a pre-LP stallion so hopefully he did not get any recessive gene from his dam.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Totina wrote:
Silverine wrote:I like Totina's idea of horses from before Lp, except that then I can't add Lp to AC horses that already don't have it. I've found a shetland stallion that looks promising so I may try him out:

If you're looking for a horse with no visible pattern genes and only LP I have a black based varnish roan stallion on my second account that I could put up for stud if you want.

He is confirmed to not have any visible snowflakes but his dam with another stallion has given a snowflake foal with small snowcap so perhaps there is a recessive gene hiding somewhere.
His sire on the other hand is a pre-LP stallion so hopefully he did not get any recessive gene from his dam.
I would definitely appreciate it, thanks!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 18, 2024 9:18 am

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:18 am