Community Forum

Any Ideas of What Color This Horse is?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Any Ideas of What Color This Horse is?

Post by Silverine »

texí wrote:
Raikit wrote: Bay and brown are different both phenotypically AND genotypically. Bay is A/A, A/A+, A/at, A/a. Wild bay is A+/A+, A+/at, or A+/a. Brown is at/at or at/a. Black is a/a. Bay is dominant over brown and black. Brown is recessive to bay but dominant to black. Black is recessive to bay and brown.
The "at" tests were fake, there is no difference between bay and brown genetically and if there is, it is unknown.
I would love to see your sources for this if you have them. Not because I doubt you, simply because I'm curious. :)

But as far as HWO is concerned, Raikit is correct. Even if the at is incorrect, that is still how HWO determines bay vs brown.
texí
Visit My Farm

Post by texí »

Silverine wrote:
texí wrote:
The "at" tests were fake, there is no difference between bay and brown genetically and if there is, it is unknown.
I would love to see your sources for this if you have them. Not because I doubt you, simply because I'm curious. :)

But as far as HWO is concerned, Raikit is correct. Even if the at is incorrect, that is still how HWO determines bay vs brown.
I just read it on the "Equine color genetics" group on facebook, a lot of people in there actually work or worked in labs so I trust what they say, maybe if you ask there, they could have some article about it.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

texí wrote:
Silverine wrote:

I just read it on the "Equine color genetics" group on facebook, a lot of people in there actually work or worked in labs so I trust what they say, maybe if you ask there, they could have some article about it.
I'm actually part of that group. Having seen the drama I'm not sure I'd trust what goes on there. Some of it is good information but a lot of people will outright lie. That's not to say there isn't also a lot of correct information.

Having just done a lot of research myself I can't find anything that proves or disproves the At allele. There was one site saying that At had been found and could be tested for but it was only one site and they did not have any source links. So while it looked like a trust-worthy site I'm not going to just take their word for it.

On the other hand, none of the places that offer testing test beyond A and a. They also do not state that there are not other alleles, just that they can tell you if your horse is homozygous black or not.

So from what I've seen Gower's theory (four alleles) has neither been proven nor disproved. And even if it isn't correct, until we figure out what actually causes the difference using Gower's model definitely makes game coding easier. XD
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 1:42 pm

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:42 pm