Community Forum

THOROUGHBRED!!

Corvus
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: ANDALUSIAN!!

Post by Corvus »

At least it's not just me getting only colts! I don't know how many times I've attempted to get a female Norwegian Fjord and the only fillies I get are part Przewalskis. The Fjords are all colts.
Valkyriea
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Valkyriea »

I was trying to get Akhal-Teke Fillies and I ended up with 8 Colts and all the females came out crosses haah
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

Maybe it's your breeding stock. Mares are smaller than stallions from the same parents (on average) and maybe your potential successful fillies simply aren't tall enough to become the new breed you're shooting for. Are your successful stallions near the bottom of the height range?
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature! Everybody knows who I am already!
Alaina
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Alaina »

Nate wrote:Maybe it's your breeding stock. Mares are smaller than stallions from the same parents (on average) and maybe your potential successful fillies simply aren't tall enough to become the new breed you're shooting for. Are your successful stallions near the bottom of the height range?
This was my theory as well. So for my Kabardas I need foals between 14.3hh and 15.3hh at maturity. I bred for taller Mongolian/Arabian mares and got a mare that's 14.1hh. My Persian Arabian/Turkmene stud is 16.0hh. However together they still only ever produce Kabarda colts. I have yet to throw in the towel and thought maybe that pair was throwing too tall of offspring so I also have bred her with my 15.1hh stud with no success as of yet. My next step is to open a spreadsheet and start gauging the average height and type of the fillies of each mare/stud pairing so I can work out which pairings give me the best chance of success. This will be more time consuming as I will have to grow out the grade offspring which will take up valuable space but it may prove worth my while in the end.

Specializing in Kaimanawa

Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

Ooooor you could grab some breed books and use them purely to evaluate height. If your horse is too tall for a good mark on Quarter Pony or too short for a good mark on Trakheners, then it's right in your target range for Kabardas. You could easily find breed books to evaluate foals around the more specific parameters you need.
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature! Everybody knows who I am already!
Alaina
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Alaina »

I do have the Kabarda breed book and evaluate both parents and grade offspring to see where it's going wrong. The spot where the fillies always lose out is the height. Everything else meets breed requirements.

Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

The too-short filly issue is definitely one I've been experiencing.

Also, a Galloway! I just need to cross her to my Teke stud, and cross that foal to my Arab-Barb, and I should get a Thoroughbred :)
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: THOROUGHBRED!!

Post by Argent »

Got the TB, so phase 1 is complete :) Just in time for reset, I'm sure
Alaina
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Alaina »

Yay! Thoroughbreds! I will eventually need those for Anglo-Kabardas and American Saddlebreds.

Also, to Nate, I will apologize because I reread what you wrote and just now understood what you were actually meaning. Thank you for the excellent suggestion.

Deslumbrar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Deslumbrar »

Nice! Congrats... with some luck, you'll be just as quick after the reset. *crosses fingers*
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 20, 2024 7:33 am

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 7:33 am