Community Forum

Writing Contest (This is for you, Kamichi ;)

Want to hold your own contest? Post the details here!
Cypress Creek Elites
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Writing Contest (This is for you, Kamichi ;)

Post by Cypress Creek Elites »

Username: Cypress Creek Elites, Tenacious Equine, Tea's Freezer
Inspiration (if any): birb. (in all honesty, this is something I did for my fiction writing class)
Writing!:
CW: MILD VIOLENCE

Dawn painted the forest gold. The bats and owls and other night creatures had returned to their hiding places- nests, burrows, holes in the trunks of slowly decaying trees. On the edge of a clearing stood a fox, wary, its whiskers twitching. It turned and disappeared back into the brush.

The shadows cast by the low-lying sun faded with the approach of clouds, dark and heavy with rain. There was a promise in them, life-giving water and something more, and the parched forest awaited it eagerly.

She had awakened with the coming of the clouds. Her chains had loosened ever so slightly, and she rediscovered the freedom of movement. Vines wound around her limbs, trailing ivy from her wrists and roots from her ankles. She leeched the brightness of her surroundings, fashioning an armored shadow that followed her like an abandoned puppy.

There was birdsong, and it was cruel. They laughed, pointed dainty little beaks she could crush to powder with her fingertips, watching her, beady-eyed heads * to the side. A mockery of her imprisonment- they had not learned to fear her. Soon they would forget to laugh.

The shadow curled over her and she stopped, turning towards them with dead eyes. Their callous, jarring melody faltered and broke and only when they had all fallen silent did she dare smile, flashing needle-sharp teeth, cruel joy that didn’t touch the darkness surrounding her.

“My spies. You have forgotten your allegiance, have you not? Has your form cost you your edge?” She didn’t expect a reply, and the forest held its breath. “It doesn’t matter. Relearning will be…” another smile, this one promising violence. “Fun. At least, I shall wholly enjoy it.”

●●●

Autumn is the season of death.
Or so the story goes.

With each year’s first rain, she is released from her earthly prison to return her spies to their nearly-human forms and deal in misery. It’s a tale to spook children into behaving; be good or death will take your neck in her cold, hard hands and snap it, like a twig breaking. Just like that.

For a civilization that has all but perfected the pursuit of eternity, death is all the more nightmarish in its unfamiliarity.

I set the book of mythology back on its shelf and dust off my hands. It’s getting late- and the clouds were a little heavier than usual earlier today. The superstitions are just that, but I still don’t want to get caught outside, in the dark, in the rain.

The roads are occupied by commuters more frantic than usual and I match their pace, eager to get home. The keys stick in the lock and I twist the doorknob anxiously, left then right. Something snaps. You have got to be kidding me. A raindrop lands on my nose and I wrench the mangled key free. It’s just a superstition. Could I get in through the window?

It’s raining in earnest now and I hear the cackle of a distant crow, laughing at my predicament. Death or no, I’m stuck outside, in the rain, at night…

Something taps on my shoulder and I whirl, broken key clenched in my fist. He steps back, hands raised in a placating gesture, and it only takes me a second to recognize him.
“Oh, hello there, neighbor,” I say, shoving the key in my pocket and pretending that I didn’t almost just stab him. “You spooked me a little.”
“As a minion of Death herself, it is my sworn duty,” he deadpans. “Having trouble getting in?”
“Yeah, some.”
“Didn’t bring a raincoat?”
“I didn’t think it was going to rain.” I thought if it did, I’d get inside before it actually started. I shift so that I’m standing under the edge of the roof, protected, but he remains where he is, impervious to the water pouring down on him.
“You can crash on my couch,” he offers. Droplets of water catch on his eyelashes, shining in the flickering porchlight.
“That’s okay, I-”
“You don’t want death to get you, do you?” He half smiles, softly masking menace, until a drop of water lands squarely in his eye and he yelps, blinking vigorously. When he beckons again, I find myself following him.
“Sorry, I shouldn't joke about that,” he says. “I know some people can be pretty superstitious.”
“Oh, I’m not. It’s fine…”
His key doesn’t stick and he points to a hook on the wall where I can hang my drenched coat.
“Thank you.”
“No problem, neighbor.” He gives me a full smile this time, and I think maybe I was imagining it before. “If you’re hungry, you can help yourself- I’ll be in the other room.”
“Oh- okay.”
He retreats, holding up his phone with one hand, a trace of the old smile on his face. The door to the room- his room? the office?- closes silently, and the click of the lock is barely any louder, half-masked by the pounding in my ears.

There’s a clock over the mantel, and the empty fireplace is coated with a thin lining of ash. There’s a collection of feathers on the mantle, fanned out, shimmering iridescent. One slips off of the mantle and falls to the ground, mesmerizingly slowly, landing next to the tiny four-toed prints of a songbird.

The door unlocks and I snatch up the feather.

“How are you faring, neighbor?” I didn’t have time to put it back. I didn’t have time. I squeeze my hands into tighter fists, forcing what I hope is a smile.
“Better,” I manage.
“That’s good,” he says. “I notice you’ve found my collection.”
I slip the feather back onto the mantle as I turn. “They’re… pretty.”
“Death’s entourage.” I can’t tell if he’s joking. “Did you eat anything?”
“No, not yet.”
He glances at the clock. “Well, you have plenty of time.”

●●●

I wake face-to-face with a girl with dead eyes. Flat and sharp, a storm’s grey devoid of emotion. She smiles sweetly, bringing a finger to her lips. The roots around her wrist tremble towards me and I can’t move. I can’t speak.
Her touch is feather-light, something cold and hard snaking across my neck.

I can’t move. I can’t breathe.

There’s a dull detachment to the whole situation, my body screaming for air, numb, the pounding louder, then feeble, faltering. Feathers, black and flickering, unfurl as I slow, fanned as the collection on the mantle.

For a heartbeat he stands silhouetted in the doorway.

Hands in his pockets. That cold little half smile.

Eyes bright and dark as a bird’s.
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Writing Contest CLOSED WINNER OUT NOW

Post by KingstonDressage »

KingstonDressage wrote:
islandhill wrote:..
KingstonDressage wrote:
In first place we have _Americanaa_! Their story had just a hint of love in it, which was the perfect amount for me. It was suspensful and fun to read! Congrats, link a horse for 10,000!

In second we have honeybunny! Their entry was fun and had good writing in it! Link a horse for 5,000

All of the entries were AMAZING! I loved all of the stories! Everyone's entries showed hard work and incredible writing! Link a horse to recieve a 2,000 dollar consoltation! :D
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

KingstonDressage wrote:
islandhill wrote:..
KingstonDressage wrote:

In first place we have _Americanaa_! Their story had just a hint of love in it, which was the perfect amount for me. It was suspensful and fun to read! Congrats, link a horse for 10,000!

In second we have honeybunny! Their entry was fun and had good writing in it! Link a horse for 5,000

All of the entries were AMAZING! I loved all of the stories! Everyone's entries showed hard work and incredible writing! Link a horse to recieve a 2,000 dollar consoltation! :D
KingstonDressage wrote:
_Americanaa_ wrote:..
KingstonDressage wrote:
Last edited by KingstonDressage on Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
islandhill
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by islandhill »

KingstonDressage wrote:
KingstonDressage wrote:

So kind of you to do this! I have to agree, they're stories were absolutely amazing! Congrats everyone, I loved all the stories as well! Here is my horse: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3280860

“The starting point of all achievement is desire.”
-Napoleon Hill
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

islandhill wrote:
KingstonDressage wrote:

So kind of you to do this! I have to agree, they're stories were absolutely amazing! Congrats everyone, I loved all the stories as well! Here is my horse: https://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/3280860
He's back up. Please offer 1 dollar.
islandhill
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by islandhill »

KingstonDressage wrote:
islandhill wrote:

He's back up. Please offer 1 dollar.
Thank you!

“The starting point of all achievement is desire.”
-Napoleon Hill
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

islandhill wrote:
KingstonDressage wrote: He's back up. Please offer 1 dollar.
Thank you!
No problem! :D
_Americanaa_
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by _Americanaa_ »

KingstonDressage wrote:
KingstonDressage wrote:

Oh thanks! :D I don't need the reward though, I did this more for fun :D I am working on a part 2, and probably up to a part 5. I am also working on a place for everyone to write stories (creds to Kam). :D
_Americanaa_
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by _Americanaa_ »

_Americanaa_ wrote:
KingstonDressage wrote:

Oh thanks! :D I don't need the reward though, I did this more for fun :D I am working on a part 2, and probably up to a part 5. I am also working on a place for everyone to write stories (creds to Kam). :D
But I will probably edit part 1 so it runs smoother, so keep an eye out for it! :D
KingstonDressage
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

_Americanaa_ wrote:
_Americanaa_ wrote:
But I will probably edit part 1 so it runs smoother, so keep an eye out for it! :D
I will! Im so excited!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 17, 2024 8:07 am

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:07 am