Community Forum

Pastures

An archive of suggestions which are either added to the game or closed as "not possible". You may comment on archived suggestions but you cannot start a new post in this sub-forum.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Pastures

Post by Argent »

I know I'm being nit-picky, but the angles of the fence lines don't quite line up, so I don't get neat, parallel side-by-side pastures.

EDIT: Could the horse info be put into two columns, or more? I really don't think there's a need for the energy bar to fill the entire width of the page.

EDIT AGAIN: Maybe the option to color code your horses in your own way? Currently, there's males and females, but for a breeding farm, I might want to color code foals/yearlings/2yos, in a training stable I might want to sort by green/in-training/retired.
Last edited by Argent on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Re: Pastures

Post by larissar »

Yeah it's a bit off, it will be corrected though. I noticed some of the barns have a bit of the same issue but it should be pretty simple to correct. It may not be done right away but it's on the list.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

Edited original post.
Also: Yay
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

Argent wrote:EDIT: Could the horse info be put into two columns, or more? I really don't think there's a need for the energy bar to fill the entire width of the page.
What resolution are you viewing the horse at? Also, which panel are you looking at, the general info panel, the training panel or the pasture chart? None of them show up with the energy bar spanning the full width of the page for me. Could it be that you need to refresh your cache to the newest css?
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

I'm viewing the pasture page. My screen is 1920x1080, I'm using Windows 8.1 and viewing the website in half-screen. I full screened it and everything got a lot neater, but uncomfortably wide.
Last edited by Argent on Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

Okay, I see what you're seeing. The long thin green energy bar in the chart of horses below the pasture view right?
That's something I'm working on today and I haven't gotten to the layout design yet, I've just been working on the back end. It'll be cleaned up soon.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

Yes, that :)
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

Instead of there being a maximum number of horses per pasture, can there be a grazing pressure meter? Essentially, grazing pressure is a measure of how well the current pasture can support the number of animals on it. So poor pasture with a few horses would be middle-pressure, while a few horses on good pasture would be low-pressure (perhaps too low, even, resulting in fat ponies and under/overgrazed sections), etc. This would be preferable to horse limits because one could devote more land to growing hay and just put horses on dry lot. You would also have more freedom in grouping horses.

Also, I really want giant pastures; I love those stud farms that turn out broodmares and youngstock onto hundreds of acres of pasture to grown naturally.

EDIT: Also, rotational grazing.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

The problem with that is browser performance.
I'm really pushing these web pages to the limits of technology lol. I never thought I'd have to get into forced GPU acceleration on a web page!

There are actually already limits partly in place for pasture capacity outside of the hard limit. For example 10 draft horses could essentially eat the pasture bare very quickly so you couldn't really keep 10 horses there, where as 10 ponies could easily live out all year on a pasture. Bigger horses eat much more than smaller horses.

You might notice a pasture "quality" rating on the farm page (near the bottom). This describes how lush the grass is in a particular pasture. Overgrazing will lower this quality. You've noticed the "forage intake" that appears when you advance the day? Well thats where I've left off on that particular part of the project. Each horse will eat a different quantity of forage from the pasture, and the pasture itself will have limits and will grow back each turn. If the horses are grazing faster than the pasture can regrown you could be left with a dirt patch (and I've got pasture art ready to show this visually too!).

I do have a few ideas on how we could work around the performance limits, such as only showing X horses on lower power devices or something like that. This sort of changes are on my to-do list, but now really near the top right now while I work on the rest of the game.
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

I understand, but you'd have to buy more pastures if you were running ponies instead of drafts to stay under the limits. And those ponies wouldn't stay in good weight unless you purposely kept the pasture low-quality, and those pastures would be perpetually undergrazed, which is poor land use efficiency.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri May 03, 2024 12:19 pm

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:19 pm