Community Forum

Killaroo's Norman Cob & Percheron Program

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Killeroo
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Killaroo's Norman Cob & Percheron Program

Post by Killeroo »

Hi guys :)

Welcome to my breeding program diary! I hope you don't have too much trouble understanding my posts as I know it'll end up a bit choppy and changey once I have bred a few horses, so I apologise in advance.

Hopefully I don't have too much trouble editing links and stuff as I'm usuing my iPad until my laptop gets back from the repair shop.

GOALS
At this early stage, I'm not set on any specific discipline. My main concern is to breed for Norman Cob foals and to try to breed for 'green' while avoiding fixing any 'red' traits.

I will also be keeping an eye out for anything that will contribute towards creating my Percherons.

I believe that the most common colours for the Norman Cob are bay and chestnut with grey being an uncommon colour also, so I will add those colours to my preferences as well. As for the Percheron, black and grey are the two main colours while chestnut is uncommon but acceptable.

Since there will be another reset in the future, colour preference isn't going to be a major concern for me. Instead, getting a good breeding program worked out will be my primary goal.

INBREEDING & LINEBREEDING
I will be including both methods as these are a faster and surer way to fix specific traits and it also allows a better chance of knowing what the foals will be like.

OTHER
Along the way, I will also breed my ancient/foundation breed horses together to strengthen those lines, rather than just hoping for good horses from the adoption centre.

I will also post any horses that I'm selling and any studs that I have available in another post for anyone who would like them
Killeroo
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Meet The Ancients!

Post by Killeroo »

These guys will hopefully be the start of my future Cobs :) I will update this as I get more horses.

MALLEE Belgian mare - She has been evaluated as being a bit too much of a pony type for breeding Cobs and also she is Heavy built. I have produced nice Norman Cobs that were great for breeding Percherons so I'm not too worried just yet.

REDGUM Belgian mare - She is quite tall at17.3hh. She has produced a FH X Belgian colt Firey Redgum who looks to be too tall for Producing Percherons. I'll hang onto him though as I may use him to breed to any Norman Cob mares that are too short for Percheron

FIRESTORM Forest Horse stallion - This boy is also quite tall at 17hh. Honestly, I picked him purely for his colour :) He is the sire to Fiery Redgum (out of Redgum), the colt I linked to above

MAPLE Forest Horse mare - I adopted her on a whim. I am breeding her with Firestorm to see if I can get a nice foal or two with nice colouring.

BILLABONG Tarpan stallion - Urgh! Tarpan X Belgians are a bit of a pain as the Tarpan breed is so small. This little fella has nice stats though so hopefully it works out.

SHEOAK Tarpan mare - Her stats are ok. I will also breed her to Billabong and see what happens

I may have to look at getting another smaller Belgian mare and a Belgian stallion once I can get more horses

GHOSTGUM Belgian Stallion I just adopted this big guy. He's 19hh but his stats aren't too bad so I'll keep him to cross with my Forest Horses for creating my Percherons.

COOLABAH Belgian mare - So I spent a heap of Pony Tokens then had to farm for more in the Local Shows but I finally found a nice short mare :)
Last edited by Killeroo on Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Killeroo
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

A Nice Tarpan Belgian Cross

Post by Killeroo »

RED LAKE - Tarpan Belgian cross (Billabong X Redgum)
A nice colt! He has average stats with nice Stamina and Intelligence. Also, he is rated 3 stars for Norman Cob :)
I will rebreed his parents soon but for now I am waiting for a Forest Horse Belgian Cross so I don't max out my horse limit
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Killaroo's Norman Cob & Percheron Program

Post by larissar »

I really like reading your posts :)
I'm getting close to a Norman Cob myself. I've got two perfect 3 star cob potential parents. But they are still young so I've got to wait to breed them. Good luck with yours!
Killeroo
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Killeroo »

Thanks Larissa! Good luck also :)
Killeroo
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Nice FH Belgian Cross filly

Post by Killeroo »

CHARRED COOLABAH Forest Horse Belgian Cross mare - She is from Firestorm, out of Coolabah. I like her colour :) She is 2* for both Norman Cob and Percheron, and is very similar to what my old horses were like.
I will breed her to Red Lake as soon as she is of age :)
Killeroo
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Forest Horse Foundation Breeding

Post by Killeroo »

I decided last night to breed my two Forest Horses together (Firestorm & Maple) and I ended up getting a nice filly which I named FOREST FIRE.
She is looking very good for producing Cobs but I will have to try to get a shorter Belgian stallion, Ghostgum is just too tall :(
I have rebred her parents as I'd like a couple more so I can have them to breed their progeny back to at a later date.
SageFeather145
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by SageFeather145 »

So this is a dumb question , but I am trying to breed a blue roan percheon. Will it never turn out to be a percheon because the coat color isn't an accepted one?
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

SageFeather145 wrote:So this is a dumb question , but I am trying to breed a blue roan percheon. Will it never turn out to be a percheon because the coat color isn't an accepted one?
Breed is only determined based on parentage, type, build and height. Colour isn't part of the equation so you'll have no problem creating a blue roan Percheron.
Killeroo
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Killeroo »

Actually Sage, I'm glad you asked that because I was also wondering if colour had any kind of impact. Thanks Larissa for explaining that.

I think blue roan Percherons would be cool :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed May 08, 2024 9:17 pm

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:17 pm