Community Forum

Killaroo's Norman Cob & Percheron Program

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
SageFeather145
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Killaroo's Norman Cob & Percheron Program

Post by SageFeather145 »

Thanks for answering my question. :)
CalicoJenn
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by CalicoJenn »

Blue roan is an actual Percheron color, there aren't very many of them though. There is a breeder in Michigan I think working to preserve them. I have quite a few Percherons and some Normans at this point, they are all inbred but if i have anything you could use let me know. I sold one of my stallions last night as I had quite a few direct siblings. I need to get a new line started to throw in but i am afraid of the stock I have ageing out while I am working on that so I will keep crossing them in on each other while I get a new line worked out to freshen things up.
Deslumbrar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Deslumbrar »

You'll have plenty to out cross with when public breeding is working too

I was making a habit of taking a different breed and interbreeding it back with the one I wanted new blood in... And crossing the offspring (half breed) back to a full blood until I got a full blood again.
Killeroo
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Killeroo »

CalicoJenn
I just Googled blue roan Percheron (not sure why I hadn't before?) and you're right. I also found this gorgeous boy Image

In regards to your inbred horses, I had the same problem before the reset. I was able to breed the Percherons easily but I was finding it hard to get the Cobs and starting from scratch with unrelated horses was taking forever. That's why I wasn't too bothered by having to start over.

Deslumbrar
I have no idea why I never thought of that!! * facepalm*
I think I will do that with my Tarpans to get some height and make them a little heavier.
Thank you!
How many generations of crossing back to a pure breed did it take for you to get back a 'pure breed'? I'm thinking it would have to be atleast 4 or 5?
Deslumbrar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Deslumbrar »

I think it was 5... Pretty sure.goes by quickly though lol
Killeroo
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm