Community Forum

Dun or not dun, that is the question :)

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Dun or not dun, that is the question :)

Post by Tjigra »

So after reading everything about barely there "NAB dun", I've looked again at my slightly off coloured single creams and I want another opinion (even though none of them are NABs) :)
Nanowired C

She is here for comparison :) To my eye - plain ole palomino, right?
Pictor C

Now Pictor, on the other hand, looks a bit like he's been left in the sun for a little too long - slightly bleached on the topside. His sire, now that I look at him, looks a bit too pale too, before he went all sooty.
Belladonna C

Bella looks just like Pictor, slightly bleached on top, slightly more golden on the underside, but I can't see anything resembling dun on her sire. Dam is plain ole rich dark bay and can't hide it.
Gone Astray C

Another slightly off coloured palomino. I am really not sure what colour her sire is, but sire's dam is one of those slightly off coloured single creams (buckskin).
Serella

An off coloured buckskin I bought and I am rather sure this one actually is dun.
Wild Memory C

On top, a non-cream bleached chestnut. He should be dun, even though his dam is a richly coloured true palomino, and sire looks slightly off dark bay?

So what would you say? Any of them look dun to you?
UniqueSteeds
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Dun or not dun, that is the question :)

Post by UniqueSteeds »

The Buckskin (Serella) is for sure a Dun. The Chetnut foal, I recommend you to wait. Take a look at my horses if it's any help, I have about 5 duns
vallers
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by vallers »

the last one is definately a dun
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Tjigra wrote: So what would you say? Any of them look dun to you?
All of these are dun, just very light expressions. Here's a breakdown:

Nanowired C
He has a dorsal stripe, though it's quite hard to see. The better indicator is his ankles, which are paler than the rest of his legs. Here's a pic, though the legs are hard to see on it:

All of the others have the lightened ankles. Belladonna C and Pictor also have very prominent dorsal stripes. Serella also has very faint striping on her legs. Her dun comes from sire, who also has the leg stripes. The foal is definitely dun, as is his sire. His dam is not. Considering how light his foal coat is, he should have some pretty stunning dun marked legs when he's older.

This is one of my non-dun Palominos (though he does have roan :lol:). His lower legs are uniformly gold, no pale ankles:

Here's one of my super faint duns, just for reference purposes:

Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Silverine wrote:
Tjigra wrote: So what would you say? Any of them look dun to you?
All of these are dun, just very light expressions.
I was so trying to steer clear from dun in my Arabians, and now you say they are all dun? :D Even Nanowired? But her sire is a nice rich gold palomino :(
Wild Night C

What about her? She didn't make the original list, because I was sure she is plain palomino, but then I was sure Nanowired is too. And Wild Night's sire is a recognisable dun.
At least Wild Night's dam is a palomino? :D
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Tjigra wrote: I was so trying to steer clear from dun in my Arabians, and now you say they are all dun? :D Even Nanowired? But her sire is a nice rich gold palomino :(
Wild Night C

What about her? She didn't make the original list, because I was sure she is plain palomino, but then I was sure Nanowired is too. And Wild Night's sire is a recognisable dun.
At least Wild Night's dam is a palomino? :D
It can be a tricky one to weed out. :lol:

Nanowired's sire is actually dun as well. It is SUPER faint, but he has the characteristic lightened ankles and a very faint bit of striping on his hind leg. He got it from his dam, Starlit Glory.

Yes, Wild Night is also dun. She has the light ankles, her legs are much darker than her body, and she's developing striping on her upper forelimbs and thighs.

I would feel pretty safe in saying that Wild Donna is not dun.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Silverine wrote:
It can be a tricky one to weed out. :lol:
Indeed it is tricky to weed out something I can't even see :D Thank you for your input, it looks I should be more careful choosing studs :D
Little_Cookie771
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Little_Cookie771 »

Here are examples or duns:

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 18, 2024 4:27 am

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 4:27 am