Community Forum

Flaxen?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Flaxen?

Post by Nazarach »

Okay, surprise again - from some x-generation blacks a chestnut (I guess?); But if it was just the foal-pangaré then shouldn't it fade at some point? or is it possible that her ancestors somehow all carried flaxen just so she could get it? Did I make an error somewhere with the color?

Please help, because I really don't know anymore...

Dying Embers
Last edited by Nazarach on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Flaxen?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:Okay, surprise again - from some x-generation blacks a chestnut (I guess?); But if it was just the foal-pangaré then shouldn't it fade at some point? or is it possible that her ancestors somehow all carried flaxen just so she could get it? Did I make an error somewhere with the color?

Please help, because I really don't know anymore...
The funny thing about black is that it hides some genes and we can easily forget they're possibly there. Flaxen is hidden on all colors except chestnuts. Pangare is hidden on black. Silver is hidden on chestnuts. Those are the basic hidden genes (not including any recessive genes that always hide when there's just one).

You're filly is definitely a flaxen chestnut pangare.
She could be hiding a silver gene. This means that both of her parents carry one chestnut and one black gene and also they both carry at least one flaxen gene. The pangare could be hidden by either parent or even by both. I don't see immediately obvious pangare in her pedigree, but it can be very gently expressed as well.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

BlackOak2 wrote:
The funny thing about black is that it hides some genes and we can easily forget they're possibly there. Flaxen is hidden on all colors except chestnuts. Pangare is hidden on black. Silver is hidden on chestnuts. Those are the basic hidden genes (not including any recessive genes that always hide when there's just one).

You're filly is definitely a flaxen chestnut pangare.
She could be hiding a silver gene. This means that both of her parents carry one chestnut and one black gene and also they both carry at least one flaxen gene. The pangare could be hidden by either parent or even by both. I don't see immediately obvious pangare in her pedigree, but it can be very gently expressed as well.
Ok, makes sense but I really couldn't imagine it to be the case... and the pangaré threw me off a lot, guess the dams dam could hide it in the smoky areas but ... really? it's such a jack in the box - popping out of nowwhere and scaring me T-T
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:
Ok, makes sense but I really couldn't imagine it to be the case... and the pangaré threw me off a lot, guess the dams dam could hide it in the smoky areas but ... really? it's such a jack in the box - popping out of nowwhere and scaring me T-T
I know how you feel, I was running a VERY long line of brilliantly bright dun & silvers on agouti and blacks and pop out a solid chestnut with sooty so dark it's looking black. :roll:

It does happen, annoyingly so. At least your filly is only a 25% chance of an identical sibling. Plus you now also know your line is hiding some genes.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

BlackOak2 wrote: I know how you feel, I was running a VERY long line of brilliantly bright dun & silvers on agouti and blacks and pop out a solid chestnut with sooty so dark it's looking black. :roll:

It does happen, annoyingly so. At least your filly is only a 25% chance of an identical sibling. Plus you now also know your line is hiding some genes.
True ^^' though I have to admit that the color looks interesting, might just keep her for the fun of it :D
well, getting the chestnut out is really hard, I mean you can always just know when one comes out, if not then there is this tiny little chance that it just hasn't drooped YET x_x (and I dislike chestnuts but I love them when they are really sooty...may be the resemblence to chocolate? xD)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:
True ^^' though I have to admit that the color looks interesting, might just keep her for the fun of it :D
well, getting the chestnut out is really hard, I mean you can always just know when one comes out, if not then there is this tiny little chance that it just hasn't drooped YET x_x (and I dislike chestnuts but I love them when they are really sooty...may be the resemblence to chocolate? xD)
I agree wholeheartedly.
The pseudo-blacks are always interesting. Even more so that you can get flaxen chestnut pseudo-blacks that are even more striking.

Like this one, although it's a shame his picture was only taken once when he was young, so there's no telling what he looked like just before he passed:

I'm sure he was super good looking as an aged gentleman. He does not appear to have passed on the striking quality of his genes however.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

BlackOak2 wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly.
The pseudo-blacks are always interesting. Even more so that you can get flaxen chestnut pseudo-blacks that are even more striking.

Like this one, although it's a shame his picture was only taken once when he was young, so there's no telling what he looked like just before he passed:

I'm sure he was super good looking as an aged gentleman. He does not appear to have passed on the striking quality of his genes however.
That's quite a pity - he does look nice :D and who doesn't like nicely aged gentlemen ;)
Aela
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

BlackOak2 wrote:Like this one, although it's a shame his picture was only taken once when he was young, so there's no telling what he looked like just before he passed
In regards to the flaxen pseudo-blacks, they do get progressively darker (although it gets very slow after they reach adulthood)

I love that colour, and used to breed for them (because breeding for colour is always an excellent idea ;) ). I no longer have any with photos from birth to death, but there are a few examples I've saved on my secondary account.

There's a clear difference between the photos taken for these guys

And here's an untrained one

Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Aela wrote:
In regards to the flaxen pseudo-blacks, they do get progressively darker (although it gets very slow after they reach adulthood)

I love that colour, and used to breed for them (because breeding for colour is always an excellent idea ;) ). I no longer have any with photos from birth to death, but there are a few examples I've saved on my secondary account.

There's a clear difference between the photos taken for these guys

And here's an untrained one
I've accumulated a few pseudo-blacks even without breeding specifically for them, they really are great to look at. Although I do have to admit that the flaxen chestnuts are much more striking than the bays and browns. Of course, some of the silver bays and browns have their own eye-catching characteristics.

I'm sending these over to the favorites post. 8-)
Aela
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

BlackOak2 wrote:I've accumulated a few pseudo-blacks even without breeding specifically for them, they really are great to look at. Although I do have to admit that the flaxen chestnuts are much more striking than the bays and browns. Of course, some of the silver bays and browns have their own eye-catching characteristics.

I'm sending these over to the favorites post. 8-)
Awesome! And yeah, they are really neat. I have a very soft spot for the browns too though - there are soo many pretty shades out there
Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 18, 2024 5:51 am

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 5:51 am