Community Forum

Uniquely Colored Mare

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
horsesfurever1
Visit My Farm

Uniquely Colored Mare

Post by horsesfurever1 »

So, this post is mostly for clarification, since I think I have an idea of what this pretty girl is. I'm thinking Smoky Brown Roan Tobiano + 1 pearl?
Here's the link: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1616252
h a z e l
Visit My Farm

Re: Uniquely Colored Mare

Post by h a z e l »

horsesfurever1 wrote:So, this post is mostly for clarification, since I think I have an idea of what this pretty girl is. I'm thinking Smoky Brown Roan Tobiano + 1 pearl?
I don't think she has pearl... I would guess Smoky Brown Tobiano, perhaps dun also :) But I'm no expert :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

horsesfurever1 wrote:So, this post is mostly for clarification, since I think I have an idea of what this pretty girl is. I'm thinking Smoky Brown Roan Tobiano + 1 pearl?
This is an unusually colored horse. Very light.
I don't see much indication for dun. I see no roaning.
What could be going on? Dark eyes and legs overwritten by tobiano and she's a double cream? I don't think there's a hidden pearl. There also may be silver. There's also a possibility of her inheriting the LP switch but no patterns, which would change her coat color as she ages.
What do I know? Definitely a brown coat. Definitely appears to have at least one cream.

My vote would be smoky brown with Lp varnish and tobiano. But I'm not certain.
horsesfurever1
Visit My Farm

Post by horsesfurever1 »

I know that she is definitely Smoky Brown, because she has the light yellowish coloring that a Smoky Brown would have. I thought that I might've seen some roan, but I could've been mistaken. It would definitely be easier if we could see her face! Maybe Smoky Brown Tobiano with 2 creams?
Aela
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

She's either Silver Smoky Brown Tobiano Varnish or Smoky Brown Tobiano Varnish

Based on how varnished she is at such an early age, I would guess no silver. However, LP is not my strong suit, so I would wait until she's thrown a couple of foals to non-silver sires to determine 100% whether or not she's silver

Definitely not pearl (pearl is an incomplete dominant on the same locus as cream, so she would look almost perlino or brown cream if she had pearl)
Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Unfortunately without foal pictures it's going to be hard to get a definite color on this mare until she throws foals. Next time I would definitely suggest taking a pic when the horse is a newborn - newborn pics make it a lot easier to tell what it going on when the horse is an adult.

Her mother, for example, is a lot easier to determine when being able to compare foal pic to adult coat. She is actually a Silver Blue Roan (or Silver Dapple Roan, whichever name you prefer), not a bay dun as she is labeled. The sire is correctly labeled as a smoky brown. Knowing that, we know that the sire can not have pearl or it would show on his coat. The dam could possibly hide pearl, but I see no evidence of it in her pedigree. Therefore, if your girl is diluted the only possible gene is a single cream. Based on the light yellow of her flanks I'm going to say she does carry cream (and this also rules out pearl because if she had it it would have diluted her further).

I agree with the roan. It's hard to tell without a close-up pic of her coat, though, especially with the varnishing. A lot of what you're seeing on her are effects of the Lp gene - her mane, tail, and barrel are lightening due to varnish. The areas that would normally be almost black on a smoky brown are turning more reddish brown due to bronzing. Now that she's over four years old you should notice her start to darken back to black on the areas affected by bronzing, though they will still be covered with the "cloudiness" of varnish.
horsesfurever1
Visit My Farm

Post by horsesfurever1 »

Silverine wrote:
Unfortunately without foal pictures it's going to be hard to get a definite color on this mare until she throws foals. Next time I would definitely suggest taking a pic when the horse is a newborn - newborn pics make it a lot easier to tell what it going on when the horse is an adult.

Her mother, for example, is a lot easier to determine when being able to compare foal pic to adult coat. She is actually a Silver Blue Roan (or Silver Dapple Roan, whichever name you prefer), not a bay dun as she is labeled. The sire is correctly labeled as a smoky brown. Knowing that, we know that the sire can not have pearl or it would show on his coat. The dam could possibly hide pearl, but I see no evidence of it in her pedigree. Therefore, if your girl is diluted the only possible gene is a single cream. Based on the light yellow of her flanks I'm going to say she does carry cream (and this also rules out pearl because if she had it it would have diluted her further).

I agree with the roan. It's hard to tell without a close-up pic of her coat, though, especially with the varnishing. A lot of what you're seeing on her are effects of the Lp gene - her mane, tail, and barrel are lightening due to varnish. The areas that would normally be almost black on a smoky brown are turning more reddish brown due to bronzing. Now that she's over four years old you should notice her start to darken back to black on the areas affected by bronzing, though they will still be covered with the "cloudiness" of varnish.
Ok, thanks! I was questioning the idea of varnishing at first, but now that you have explained it, it makes much more sense.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 3:58 pm

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:58 pm