Community Forum

Need a little help with some older babies

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Abbih
Visit My Farm

Need a little help with some older babies

Post by Abbih »

OK, I think I might know what color they are, but I'm not 100% sure.

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1624753
I think he's a silver buckskin and may be a roan. His dam is a roan with white legs, so from what I've read about coloring, she will only pass the roan or white legs, and she obviously didn't pass the white. I know it's fairly early to be seeing roaning, but I think I'm seeing it on his coat.

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1624754
I'm pretty sure she's a perlino, but I'm not a 100%, so some input would be great
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Need a little help with some older babies

Post by BlackOak2 »

Abbih wrote:OK, I think I might know what color they are, but I'm not 100% sure.

I think he's a silver buckskin and may be a roan. His dam is a roan with white legs, so from what I've read about coloring, she will only pass the roan or white legs, and she obviously didn't pass the white. I know it's fairly early to be seeing roaning, but I think I'm seeing it on his coat.

I'm pretty sure she's a perlino, but I'm not a 100%, so some input would be great
First horse appears to be silver buckskin with roan. She could pass either roan or white legs or both, depending on how many genes she has. Roaning can be seen the day they're born, as can Tobiano, Lp, the graying gen, Dun, silver... a couple others. What can't be determined when they're newborn and only be determined when they blow their coat at a year are such things like pangare and varnish quickness and bronzing, much of these are sub-genes that affect colors. There are others that only show up as the horse ages older as well.

Second horse appears to be a pearl/cream on brown, but since pearl can't hide when paired with cream, she can't have pearl because her mother is a cream on brown and both of her grandparents on her father's side are buckskin and palomino respectively, which makes her father a double cream, not some sort of cream/pearl combination. So she is a brown cream and has inherited her mother's dun and possibly may have also inherited her mother's pangare as well.
Abbih
Visit My Farm

Post by Abbih »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Abbih wrote:OK, I think I might know what color they are, but I'm not 100% sure.

First horse appears to be silver buckskin with roan. She could pass either roan or white legs or both, depending on how many genes she has. Roaning can be seen the day they're born, as can Tobiano, Lp, the graying gen, Dun, silver... a couple others. What can't be determined when they're newborn and only be determined when they blow their coat at a year are such things like pangare and varnish quickness and bronzing, much of these are sub-genes that affect colors. There are others that only show up as the horse ages older as well.

Second horse appears to be a pearl/cream on brown, but since pearl can't hide when paired with cream, she can't have pearl because her mother is a cream on brown and both of her grandparents on her father's side are buckskin and palomino respectively, which makes her father a double cream, not some sort of cream/pearl combination. So she is a brown cream and has inherited her mother's dun and possibly may have also inherited her mother's pangare as well.
Thank you, I'm used to identifying horse colors in "the real world," and newborns don't always show their true color. My family also tends to try to avoid the dilution genes, we've had some buckskins and palominos, but we avoid any crosses that could result in colors like cremello. So, I don't recognize the difference between the double dilution colors easily.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Abbih wrote:
Thank you, I'm used to identifying horse colors in "the real world," and newborns don't always show their true color. My family also tends to try to avoid the dilution genes, we've had some buckskins and palominos, but we avoid any crosses that could result in colors like cremello. So, I don't recognize the difference between the double dilution colors easily.
No problem.
Dilutions on this game are quite hard to distinguish at times, even for those players who work with them. A lot of us combat this problem by gene-mapping what they are. For instance, if you know your horse has pearl, which is a hidden gene when just one exists, then and 'double dilute' that is born from this horse must have one pearl gene.
Mapping the color genes really goes a long way when working with dilutes of any sort. It helps with flat colors as well, for instance a black horse can't throw a bay or brown, but will if crossed with a chestnut. In this case, the chestnut horse has that bay or brown gene hidden underneath the red color.

For the most part, the colors offered here are generally realistically colored, with only a little artist addition. So if you breed or work with horses in real life, you may have a better hand on color-coding the horses than you realize.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 6:36 am

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:36 am