Community Forum

Same Color genetics?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
GrimCamel
Visit My Farm

Same Color genetics?

Post by GrimCamel »

So I have these two horses. The first one is a Silver Smoky Cream tobiano and is from my own line. The second one however comes from an outcross and the result was much paler. I'm wondering if he also is a Silver Smoky Cream Tobiano just a brighter shade?
This color project is all very new to me.

Own line

Outcross
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Same Color genetics?

Post by BlackOak2 »

GrimCamel wrote:So I have these two horses. The first one is a Silver Smoky Cream tobiano and is from my own line. The second one however comes from an outcross and the result was much paler. I'm wondering if he also is a Silver Smoky Cream Tobiano just a brighter shade?
They are the same color. This is what Pangare (mealy) does to colors at times.
Both of these horse have pangare and the pangare on your 'outcross' is much more evenly distributed over the entire horse.

As an example of what extreme pangare can do to a horse, this is a wild bay horse (no dun, but carries silver):

I do not believe anything else is affecting the coloration of your horse.
GrimCamel
Visit My Farm

Post by GrimCamel »

BlackOak2 wrote:
GrimCamel wrote:So I have these two horses. The first one is a Silver Smoky Cream tobiano and is from my own line. The second one however comes from an outcross and the result was much paler. I'm wondering if he also is a Silver Smoky Cream Tobiano just a brighter shade?
Both of these horse have pangare and the pangare on your 'outcross' is much more evenly distributed over the entire horse.

As an example of what extreme pangare can do to a horse, this is a wild bay horse (no dun, but carries silver):

Thank you, that explains it! I havent been working alot with mealy either and don't know the genetics behind it but Ill be sure to write it down in as their coat color from now on :)
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:

Pangare is not the cause of the lightening on these horses. Pangare only affects red-based pigment, and the base pigment for both of these horses is black. The lightening in this case is the effect of the silver gene, which is also what is causing the horses to be more yellow in color rather than the brown of a non-silver, double-diluted black.

Also, the sire of your first horse (GC Shameless Sham) is incorrectly labelled. He is brown cream roan (brown + 2xcream + roan), not sable cream (brown + 1xcream + champagne). If he was champagne he would have freckling on his muzzle, which he does not.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
Pangare is not the cause of the lightening on these horses. Pangare only affects red-based pigment, and the base pigment for both of these horses is black. The lightening in this case is the effect of the silver gene, which is also what is causing the horses to be more yellow in color rather than the brown of a non-silver, double-diluted black.

Also, the sire of your first horse (GC Shameless Sham) is incorrectly labelled. He is brown cream roan (brown + 2xcream + roan), not sable cream (brown + 1xcream + champagne). If he was champagne he would have freckling on his muzzle, which he does not.
Dang it! Black.
Every time...

Sorry, Silverine's correct.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Dang it! Black.
Every time...

Lol. It happens. The double dilutes can be tricky because they can look red-based even though they're not.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: Dang it! Black.
Every time...

Lol. It happens. The double dilutes can be tricky because they can look red-based even though they're not.
Yeah, but I should've already learned my lesson, especially when those darn silver dapples were staring right at me. That's gotta be like the 20-umpteenth time I've made that same mistake.

:D Sometimes, one (I) just feels like an idiot! Hah! In this case, it's pretty deserved. :roll:
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Yeah, but I should've already learned my lesson, especially when those darn silver dapples were staring right at me. That's gotta be like the 20-umpteenth time I've made that same mistake.

:D Sometimes, one (I) just feels like an idiot! Hah! In this case, it's pretty deserved. :roll:
Eh, I think you just like having me pick on you every now and then. :lol:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
Eh, I think you just like having me pick on you every now and then. :lol:
Hah! :lol:
That may be true! We haven't chatted for awhile, I may feel a bit neglected! :twisted: Of course I haven't really had much to chat about.
But I do like it when you come behind my color posts and correct me. Though I don't always say it, I do appreciate the corrections when I'm wrong. The last thing our community needs is being taught wrong.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Hah! :lol:
That may be true! We haven't chatted for awhile, I may feel a bit neglected! :twisted: Of course I haven't really had much to chat about.
But I do like it when you come behind my color posts and correct me. Though I don't always say it, I do appreciate the corrections when I'm wrong. The last thing our community needs is being taught wrong.
Yeah, I've been really ghost-y lately anyway. I got a job offer from my summer internship, so I've been trying to actually pass my last year of classes so that I can take them up on it. :lol: Plus I bought a new horse and I've been working on her - I love her to death but she knew almost nothing when I brought her home. She couldn't even bend. :shock: But now she's working on being a dressage pony. :D We have our second show coming up on Sunday.

I'm glad you don't mind! Some people get really angry at corrections. But how are we supposed to learn without them?
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 11:40 am

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:40 am