Community Forum

Same Color genetics?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
GrimCamel
Visit My Farm

Re: Same Color genetics?

Post by GrimCamel »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
They are the same color. This is what Pangare (mealy) does to colors at times.
Both of these horse have pangare and the pangare on your 'outcross' is much more evenly distributed over the entire horse.

As an example of what extreme pangare can do to a horse, this is a wild bay horse (no dun, but carries silver):

I do not believe anything else is affecting the coloration of your horse.
Pangare is not the cause of the lightening on these horses. Pangare only affects red-based pigment, and the base pigment for both of these horses is black. The lightening in this case is the effect of the silver gene, which is also what is causing the horses to be more yellow in color rather than the brown of a non-silver, double-diluted black.

Also, the sire of your first horse (GC Shameless Sham) is incorrectly labelled. He is brown cream roan (brown + 2xcream + roan), not sable cream (brown + 1xcream + champagne). If he was champagne he would have freckling on his muzzle, which he does not.
Ah ok, so I'll change the colors back to what they were then lmao XD but Thank you!

And yes I've noticed. He's been retired so I guess I forgot about that lol. I'm usually pretty good with colors but this project have just made me go insane lmao
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
Yeah, I've been really ghost-y lately anyway. I got a job offer from my summer internship, so I've been trying to actually pass my last year of classes so that I can take them up on it. :lol: Plus I bought a new horse and I've been working on her - I love her to death but she knew almost nothing when I brought her home. She couldn't even bend. :shock: But now she's working on being a dressage pony. :D We have our second show coming up on Sunday.

I'm glad you don't mind! Some people get really angry at corrections. But how are we supposed to learn without them?
Congrats on all of those fronts! And good luck on those classes (I'm sure you don't need much luck, however :P )
You're very correct, how can we learn without corrections? It would be better if we can take them without getting upset, but that doesn't always go over well. The nice thing is, that when we see it's 'no harm-no foul' that upset settles quickly and minds begin to open better.

Also, I must apologize, GrimCamel, Silverine and I appear to have hijacked your topic a bit.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Congrats on all of those fronts! And good luck on those classes (I'm sure you don't need much luck, however :P )
You're very correct, how can we learn without corrections? It would be better if we can take them without getting upset, but that doesn't always go over well. The nice thing is, that when we see it's 'no harm-no foul' that upset settles quickly and minds begin to open better.

Also, I must apologize, GrimCamel, Silverine and I appear to have hijacked your topic a bit.
Very true. I think I tend to sound somewhat stand-offish in at least some of my posts mostly because I'm expecting people to get mad at me. If I'd looked and seen that it was you that had posted I wouldn't have worried about it. ;)
GrimCamel
Visit My Farm

Post by GrimCamel »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Silverine wrote:
Yeah, I've been really ghost-y lately anyway. I got a job offer from my summer internship, so I've been trying to actually pass my last year of classes so that I can take them up on it. :lol: Plus I bought a new horse and I've been working on her - I love her to death but she knew almost nothing when I brought her home. She couldn't even bend. :shock: But now she's working on being a dressage pony. :D We have our second show coming up on Sunday.

I'm glad you don't mind! Some people get really angry at corrections. But how are we supposed to learn without them?
Congrats on all of those fronts! And good luck on those classes (I'm sure you don't need much luck, however :P )

It's alright, Ill just unsubscribe my own topic xD You two can keep going :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

GrimCamel wrote:
It's alright, Ill just unsubscribe my own topic xD You two can keep going :)
Thank you! Although I don't think we'll be continuing for too much longer. We usually don't.
Silverine wrote:Very true. I think I tend to sound somewhat stand-offish in at least some of my posts mostly because I'm expecting people to get mad at me. If I'd looked and seen that it was you that had posted I wouldn't have worried about it. ;)
I don't think you do... but then again, I'm one of those that will differentiate between a 'clinical' voice and a 'standoffish' voice. You come across most often as 'clinical'. But you're right, using that type of tone will naturally dissuade arguments.

You know, I worry about the same things. I suppose 'once bitten, twice shy' comes to mind here.
Silverine
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Silverine wrote:Very true. I think I tend to sound somewhat stand-offish in at least some of my posts mostly because I'm expecting people to get mad at me. If I'd looked and seen that it was you that had posted I wouldn't have worried about it. ;)
I don't think you do... but then again, I'm one of those that will differentiate between a 'clinical' voice and a 'standoffish' voice. You come across most often as 'clinical'. But you're right, using that type of tone will naturally dissuade arguments.

You know, I worry about the same things. I suppose 'once bitten, twice shy' comes to mind here.
I appreciate that. I try to be as 'bare bones' as I can be - I guess. This is what it is, this is why it happens. I try to leave emotion out of it. But I think some people take that as too blunt or something.

And yeah, definitely. It's weird - I never would have thought that people would so worked up over some stuff, but once I've seen one person do it I'm afraid everyone will.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
I appreciate that. I try to be as 'bare bones' as I can be - I guess. This is what it is, this is why it happens. I try to leave emotion out of it. But I think some people take that as too blunt or something.

And yeah, definitely. It's weird - I never would have thought that people would so worked up over some stuff, but once I've seen one person do it I'm afraid everyone will.
I've been told I'm too blunt too. In fact, my older sister took offense over it! (Actually, she has for years, since we were both young, but that's enough said over that) However, I'm not going to speak fluff to people. That's way too much work! :lol:

I also feel the same way. At some point, you just need to stop caring, at least that's what I tell myself! I'm still working on it. :D People are going to get upset no matter what we say at times. So is it better to let them fall on their face? or try to prevent their pain? That's what I fight with; sometimes I win that argument, sometimes I loose.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 7:43 pm

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:43 pm