Community Forum

Another Color Question

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Stick
Visit My Farm

Another Color Question

Post by Stick »

I've got another question regarding genes that I don't quite understand. This one is trying to figure out the not-quite-blackness of this horse. I know he's got some LP varnishing going on, but it looks like he was always kind of gray/silvery even as a foal, so understanding what genes are at play now and how they have changed his color so many times already (he's still quite a young horse) would be great.

Duo

Thanks in advance!
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm

Re: Another Color Question

Post by AltNazarach »

Stick wrote:I've got another question regarding genes that I don't quite understand. This one is trying to figure out the not-quite-blackness of this horse. I know he's got some LP varnishing going on, but it looks like he was always kind of gray/silvery even as a foal, so understanding what genes are at play now and how they have changed his color so many times already (he's still quite a young horse) would be great.

Duo

Thanks in advance!
The greyish color as a foal is because he has a cream gene as well - which makes him a Smoky Grullo/ Black Dun with Lp and Tobiano ^^ The Dun markings are most visible in his 1 year photo (three stripes on his neck and the slighly of-color sparing his legs and fading to black near his nose). His sire was a double cream so he gave your boy one of his cream-genes :)
Hope that helped a bit :3
Last edited by AltNazarach on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stick
Visit My Farm

Re: Another Color Question

Post by Stick »

AltNazarach wrote:The greyish color as a foal is because he has a cream gene as well - which makes him a Smoky Grullo/ Black Dun with Lp and Tobiano ^^ The Dun markings are most visible in his 1 year photo (three stripes on his neck and the slighly of-color sparing his legs and fading to black near his nose). His sire was a double cream so he gave your bay one of his cream-genes :)
Hope that helped a bit :3
Yes! Thank you so much. That is exactly what I was looking for. It really helps a lot. :'D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 11:16 am

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:16 am