Community Forum

Quick Przewalski question

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Redpyre
Visit My Farm

Quick Przewalski question

Post by Redpyre »

I've just got a quick question about Przewalski genetics, now that I'm getting into more than one generation of them.

From what I understand, all AC Przewalskis are mealy Bay Dun, am I correct in that? Are there any other genes that can show up in there?

For instance, the ultra-pale ones like this guy here (especially with how weird his foal pictures look). Do they just happen to be very pale Bay Duns, or is there anything else going on in there to make them look like that? Also, is the big color/tone shift between his upper and lower legs because of something like sooty, or is it just an effect of the Pangare?

Thanks, and sorry if this is a dumb question. I just had to ask in case I was missing something here, or if there were any other factors about their genetics that I could learn.

Snowstorm
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Re: Quick Przewalski question

Post by Tjigra »

Redpyre wrote: From what I understand, all AC Przewalskis are mealy Bay Dun, am I correct in that? Are there any other genes that can show up in there?

For instance, the ultra-pale ones like this guy here (especially with how weird his foal pictures look). Do they just happen to be very pale Bay Duns, or is there anything else going on in there to make them look like that? Also, is the big color/tone shift between his upper and lower legs because of something like sooty, or is it just an effect of the Pangare?
I'd say your guy is just an extreme case of pangare on wild bay dun. Pangare in his case has lightened everything but the dorsal stripe and the low black points of wild bay.
Redpyre
Visit My Farm

Post by Redpyre »

Tjigra wrote:I'd say your guy is just an extreme case of pangare on wild bay dun. Pangare in his case has lightened everything but the dorsal stripe and the low black points of wild bay.
Dang, yeah, that's some extreme pangare, haha. And the weird way that his lower legs are more pale than his upper legs is just part of that?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Redpyre wrote:
Tjigra wrote:...
Dang, yeah, that's some extreme pangare, haha. And the weird way that his lower legs are more pale than his upper legs is just part of that?
I agree, and yes, because this horse is a wild bay and not just a bay, the pangare can make this distinctly bright legged effect.

Check out our color guide entitled:
What Color is My Horse? Quick Guide by Ancient Breed
This guide will give you what each AC horse breed can have. Make note that even though the horses can have them, it doesn't mean they will. But if the genes aren't listed (such as cream for the Przewalski), this means that the AC horses cannot be carries of it.
Redpyre
Visit My Farm

Post by Redpyre »

BlackOak2 wrote:I agree, and yes, because this horse is a wild bay and not just a bay, the pangare can make this distinctly bright legged effect.

Check out our color guide entitled:
What Color is My Horse? Quick Guide by Ancient Breed
This guide will give you what each AC horse breed can have. Make note that even though the horses can have them, it doesn't mean they will. But if the genes aren't listed (such as cream for the Przewalski), this means that the AC horses cannot be carries of it.
Ah, got it. And yes! I have checked out that guide before, but didn't know if it was 100% accurate and updated, so I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks for the help to both of you!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Redpyre wrote:
Ah, got it. And yes! I have checked out that guide before, but didn't know if it was 100% accurate and updated, so I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks for the help to both of you!
It's accurate as far as I've found, with the singular exception that there are also chestnut forest horses. There are a couple typos for the actual 'gene' descriptors (Zz for silver, in one case, the no silver is typed as ff instead of zz), so I don't recommend copy and pasting, but the genes they can have are all listed there.

It hasn't been updated for awhile, but no new color genes have been added since it was last edited. Leopard and Tobiano are not included, any of the AC horses can have these genes.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 4:34 pm

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 4:34 pm