Community Forum

Brown? Or something?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Redpyre
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Brown? Or something?

Post by Redpyre »

So, this guy appeared out of nowhere, haha. Is he brown, or are there extreme expressions of sooty that could make him look like this? Also, beyond that, what other genes might be at play, either hidden or just not visible to my inexperienced eyes? He doesn't have many generations in his pedigree to look through, but any hints as to everything he might be showing or carrying would help me out. I'm guessing for myself, but I'm very unsure.

Thanks!

Dogrose
Aela
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Brown? Or something?

Post by Aela »

Redpyre wrote:So, this guy appeared out of nowhere, haha. Is he brown, or are there extreme expressions of sooty that could make him look like this? Also, beyond that, what other genes might be at play, either hidden or just not visible to my inexperienced eyes? He doesn't have many generations in his pedigree to look through, but any hints as to everything he might be showing or carrying would help me out. I'm guessing for myself, but I'm very unsure.

Thanks!

Dogrose
He's (Metallic) Smoky Brown
Ee At_ CR/n

The difference between a cream and a non-cream Brown is the shade. Smoky Browns have light and yellowish areas like this horse while non-creams are more orange and red :)
Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
Redpyre
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Redpyre »

Aela wrote:
Redpyre wrote: He's (Metallic) Smoky Brown
Ee At_ CR/n

The difference between a cream and a non-cream Brown is the shade. Smoky Browns have light and yellowish areas like this horse while non-creams are more orange and red :)
Ah! Got it. So, if he'd been Bay, he'd be a Buckskin? And does that mean that Brown is recessive, because his parents don't show it?
Aela
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Aela »

Redpyre wrote:
Aela wrote:
Ah! Got it. So, if he'd been Bay, he'd be a Buckskin? And does that mean that Brown is recessive, because his parents don't show it?
Yes! On HWO, Brown (At) is recessive. So your horse is either AtAt or Ata :)
Realistic Breed Project
Pssst, take a look below!

Aegidienberger Project, 2015 - 2018
Nazarach
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Aela wrote:
Redpyre wrote:So, this guy appeared out of nowhere, haha. Is he brown, or are there extreme expressions of sooty that could make him look like this? Also, beyond that, what other genes might be at play, either hidden or just not visible to my inexperienced eyes? He doesn't have many generations in his pedigree to look through, but any hints as to everything he might be showing or carrying would help me out. I'm guessing for myself, but I'm very unsure.

Thanks!

Dogrose
He's (Metallic) Smoky Brown
Ee At_ CR/n

I think he might have pangaré as well, especially the area near his nose seems to get even lighter - like pangaré under/over the cream area, so
Ee At_ Cr/n Pg/n?
Redpyre
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Redpyre »

Nazarach wrote:I think he might have pangaré as well, especially the area near his nose seems to get even lighter - like pangaré under/over the cream area, so
Ee At_ Cr/n Pg/n?
Whoops, I replied while hijacking my girlfriend's account. Let me try that again...

That's great if he is pangare! I'd love to keep that from the Przewalski side of his family.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Redpyre wrote:
Nazarach wrote:I think he might have pangaré as well, especially the area near his nose seems to get even lighter - like pangaré under/over the cream area, so
Ee At_ Cr/n Pg/n?
Whoops, I replied while hijacking my girlfriend's account. Let me try that again...

That's great if he is pangare! I'd love to keep that from the Przewalski side of his family.
That's good if it's wanted xD I find that getting the pangaré out of a line is much worse x_x
Redpyre
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Redpyre »

Nazarach wrote:That's good if it's wanted xD I find that getting the pangaré out of a line is much worse x_x
Haha! And I'm sure that's because you don't want it there. On my main account, I'm knee-deep in primitive/pony type breeds, and I have a breeding project on this one where I would love the crosses to keep as many traces of their Przewalski progenitors as possible... so, of course, I have a hard time making it stick around and be loud about it.

If I wanted it gone, I'm sure it would do the opposite. :lol:
deviantkeeper
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by deviantkeeper »

He looks like a brown with gold. Not sure though.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

deviantkeeper wrote:He looks like a brown with gold. Not sure though.
That golden color is indicative of the cream gene.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 18, 2024 7:38 am

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 7:38 am