Community Forum

Flaxen

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Arctictea
KS Backer
KS Backer
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Flaxen

Post by Arctictea »

Okay. Status update:

1. All Turk stallions I've tried have thrown clear and nice flaxen foals when bred to other breeds.
King foal

Tangent Dune foal

Missing My Dye foal

Twisted Radiance foal

Involuntary foal

Mahogny Seed foal

Red Blizzard foal

So that's odd. Either flaxen is super common, or there is a bug somewhere.

2. Subtle/hidden flaxens seems to be a thing. My two Caspian flaxens got both very nice and clear flaxen foals, and some foals you really need to sit and study. The older they are, the easier to see.

Pure Caspan; clear flaxen

Pure Caspian; hidden flaxen

Both foals are of the same age on the pictures. If the parents are flaxen then both of them need to be flaxen; it should be noted that the parents give foals in between too:

3. So far breeding back pure Turks has not given my any flaxen foals whatsoever, despite serious grinding. I've checked that the foals I bred to did indeed carry flaxen; and most threw flaxens happily as soon as I crossed out them to other breeds. Since flaxens can be quite subtle I've begun to keep all their fails... So we'll see if they look better age 4 than newborn. I have a hunch that they will look just as flaxen as the adoption center horses though...

Typical flaxen check

Three of the four grandparents are Turks, so only a dash of NAB blood is enough to get clear flaxens. This is a typical example; I have five more (so six out of eight have proven flaxen).

I'm leaning towards three possibilities;
1. It's flaxen. It's supposed to be like this. Some breeds have very subtle flaxen coloration, so subtle you need to cross them out with other breeds to see they indeed are flaxen. Wouldn't be the first gene where some variations are breed-locked.
2. It's flaxen. It's not supposed to work like this. Maybe my clear flaxen foals are Ff but display as ff due to a bug or something. That could explain me needing to breed them with clear flaxens to get clear flaxen offspring. Should be pretty noticable in other breedings too though.
3. It certainly looks like flaxen, but it is something else, something obvious I'm completely missing.

Thank you very much for reading :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Flaxen

Post by BlackOak2 »

Arctictea wrote:Okay. Status update:

1. All Turk stallions I've tried have thrown clear and nice flaxen foals when bred to other breeds.

So that's odd. Either flaxen is super common, or there is a bug somewhere.

2. Subtle/hidden flaxens seems to be a thing. My two Caspian flaxens got both very nice and clear flaxen foals, and some foals you really need to sit and study. The older they are, the easier to see.

Both foals are of the same age on the pictures. If the parents are flaxen then both of them need to be flaxen; it should be noted that the parents give foals in between too:

3. So far breeding back pure Turks has not given my any flaxen foals whatsoever, despite serious grinding. I've checked that the foals I bred to did indeed carry flaxen; and most threw flaxens happily as soon as I crossed out them to other breeds. Since flaxens can be quite subtle I've begun to keep all their fails... So we'll see if they look better age 4 than newborn. I have a hunch that they will look just as flaxen as the adoption center horses though...

Three of the four grandparents are Turks, so only a dash of NAB blood is enough to get clear flaxens. This is a typical example; I have five more (so six out of eight have proven flaxen).

I'm leaning towards three possibilities;
1. It's flaxen. It's supposed to be like this. Some breeds have very subtle flaxen coloration, so subtle you need to cross them out with other breeds to see they indeed are flaxen. Wouldn't be the first gene where some variations are breed-locked.
2. It's flaxen. It's not supposed to work like this. Maybe my clear flaxen foals are Ff but display as ff due to a bug or something. That could explain me needing to breed them with clear flaxens to get clear flaxen offspring. Should be pretty noticable in other breedings too though.
3. It certainly looks like flaxen, but it is something else, something obvious I'm completely missing.

Thank you very much for reading :)
I'm not sure about which possibility it's most likely to be, although a breed-locked gene does sound most probable. For Lp genes, the black-based extension up the neck I theorize is locked not just to belgians, but to black-colored belgains. So I could agree with the first probability foremost. It's still odd that we haven't yet come across any flaxen AC stock however.

Maybe, a short note to admin to ensure some odd, new bug hasn't popped up is in order?

On that note, I think there is one other possibility. In certain breeds (most obviously AC Prze), there is a 'plume' gene that stains the bases of manes and tails and discolors them. I wonder if this could be the cause of it, instead of flaxen? There is next to nothing known of this 'plume' gene.

This is a great example of this 'plume'.

There's a little more info between myself and Silverine in the first two pages (or so) of the favorites topic.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... =8&t=10222
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 23, 2024 12:26 am

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:26 am