Community Forum

What form of Bay

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Diskid
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

What form of Bay

Post by Diskid »

I bred this filly, obviously a form of bay. But her coat seems really bright to me and I'm suspecting she's more than just a basic bay. Cherry Bay? Wild Bay? Bay Roan?

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: What form of Bay

Post by BlackOak2 »

Diskid wrote:I bred this filly, obviously a form of bay. But her coat seems really bright to me and I'm suspecting she's more than just a basic bay. Cherry Bay? Wild Bay? Bay Roan?
Wild bay would have much shorter socks (that gene is dominant over bay and wouldn't be able to hide). She doesn't carry the roan gene.
In each base color (as well as all colors), there is a great deal of color movement even before something like sooty comes into play.
So we can have a naturally much darker bay or a naturally much brighter bay then on top of that sooty changing the color of the coat as well. So a basic bay can look very different depending on the bay color variation they may have. Such color variations can be bred into bloodlines as well.

Being really bright is also emphasized by the training she's getting.

Calling her a cherry or a blood is up to the owner. We all have somewhat different definitions on some of those specific color descriptors.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed May 22, 2024 10:13 am

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:13 am