Community Forum

Exmoor Ponies

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Exmoor Ponies

Post by larissar »

Exmoor Ponies are one of the simplest breeds to create. They are a first generation cross between a Przewalski Horse and a Tarpan. This goal of this thread is to improve the population of Exmoor Ponies within HWO while maintaining true likeness to real Exmoor Ponies.
Wikipedia wrote: The Exmoor pony is a horse breed native to the British Isles, where some still roam as semi-feral livestock on Exmoor, a large area of moorland in Devon and Somerset in southwest England. The Exmoor has been given "endangered" status by the Rare Breeds Survival Trust, and "threatened" status by The Livestock Conservancy. It is one of the British Isles' mountain and moorland pony breeds, having conformation similar to that of other cold-weather-adapted pony breeds. The Exmoor pony is hardy and used for a variety of equestrian activities. In its free-roaming state, the breed's presence on Exmoor contributes to the conservation and management of several natural pasture habitats.

Equines have been present in Britain since 700,000 BC, and fossil remains have been found in the area of Exmoor dating back to about 50,000 BC. Some Exmoor fanciers claim that the breed has been purebred since the ice age, a claim unsupported by modern DNA research, although a close morphological resemblance to the primitive wild horse has been noted. Archeological investigations have shown that horses were used for transport in the southwest of England as early as 400 BC, and Roman carvings show ponies phenotypically similar to the Exmoor pony.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exmoor_pony

"Exmoor ponies on Porlock Common" by Nilfanion - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons -

The Ideal Exmoor Pony
  • Stocky, powerful build
  • Deep chest, broad back, level croup
  • Legs are short with good bone
  • Noted for strength and endurance
  • Mane and tail thick and long
  • Usually dark bay or brown, with pangare (mealy) markings
  • No white markings
  • Mature height (4 years of age): Stallions 11.1 to 12.3 hands, Mares 11 to 12.2 hands
Breeding Tips
If you have any advice to players trying to breed Exmoor ponies please share.
  • Breeding for colour is difficult due to the strong presence of Dun in both the Przewalski and the Tarpan, adding Shetland Pony, or Shetland x Forest Horse into your herd can help get rid of the Dun, while adding in darker browns, but you have to balance this out by breeding back to establish Exmoor's in order to keep the breed. Otherwise you'll end up with a Mixed breed herd.
Stallions for Breeding
These are the stallions currently available for public breeding. The quality is poor right now as the breed is still new on the game.

Bran Samwise Ailis

A first generation stallion meeting only a few points on the breed standard but a good point to start with.

Gatsby

First generation stud. Too tall, too much dun, mane too thin, and no sooty/brown, but has 5 green stats, and decent conformation. Hard to ignore that kind of performance potential.

Supplemental Stallions
These stallions are not Exmoor but may be helpful in furthering the breed.

Pony Pete

Forest Horse x Shetland stud, good colouring, good mane/tail thickness. Can be used to help improve the population.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Exmoor Ponies

Post by larissar »

I didn't expect to reply to my own post so soon but super stoked to get an Exmoor filly finally!!
She is by the champion Tarpan stallion ReDUNdant, out of my own Przewalski mare. She's the first Exmoor filly to be born on my farm, and the first time adding the ReDUNdant line into my herd. I'm really pleased with that choice! I've got a small selection of Exmoor studs I can send her too once she is of age. Soo happy!
First Lady
Shaderon
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Shaderon »

HI I'm a big Exmoor fan and hoping to create my first Exmoor fro my own ponies. I have purchased a young Exmoor colt today and named him after my favourite "Royal *" pony from years ago.

Good luck with the standards.
Kintara
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Kintara »

I love Abner! Not sure what breed you can make from him, cut he's very nice!
Nate
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Nate »

Abner? My Abner? My Belgian x Tarpan Abner?
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature! Everybody knows who I am already!
Kintara
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Kintara »

Yeh that's him, he came up when I clicked on one of those links above
Revenant
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Revenant »

This is so neat. ^^ I have a few Exmoor Ponies and am working on turning my remaining Przewalski Horses into them. From there I'll try for 4*, following the real life breed standard, and green stats. Insofar I'm just flailing because they're so cute. <3

Also it just finally clicked in my brain I can use other breeds and breed back to the purebred and eventually get back to purebred...nice. Thanks for that. I read the guides but I guess I forgot.
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

I had a lot of luck crossing my Exmoors with Shetland ponies before the reset. I got them pretty close to proper Exmoor coloring.

This time around in working on breeding Percherons. If anyone wants to take over this topic let me know.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed May 08, 2024 10:54 pm

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:54 pm