Community Forum

Champagne / pearl?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Purple Lightning
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Champagne / pearl?

Post by Purple Lightning »

Bluebell Melody

So after perusing all of the color threads I could find, I think Melody here has champagne (because of the freckles) and pearl (because of the pale muzzles and brown / hazel eyes). I think her mother is a graying chestnut, but I can’t tell anything on the sire’s side because he has the same unique colors. I’d love some input on possibilities here; thanks! :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Champagne / pearl?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Purple Lightning wrote:
So after perusing all of the color threads I could find, I think Melody here has champagne (because of the freckles) and pearl (because of the pale muzzles and brown / hazel eyes). I think her mother is a graying chestnut, but I can’t tell anything on the sire’s side because he has the same unique colors. I’d love some input on possibilities here; thanks! :)
You're correct about the freckles and champagne.
You're also partially correct about the fact that she's a double dilute of some sort (in this case champagne & another dilution gene). And she's not a triple dilute because otherwise she'd be a psuedo-white.
She is on a bay base (the differently colored legs and nose gives that away).

Her mother does appear to be a graying chestnut, but she also has flaxen (the light legs give the flaxen away).

AC Arabians don't carry any dilution genes, so her mother can't pass any on. So the dilution must come from the sire. And since we can see that your mare is a double-dilution and not a triple, the second gene CANNOT be pearl and MUST be cream (pearl is recessive and will only show itself with two genes or accompanied by cream).

This sire is a good example of a psuedo-white, on bay. He's a triple-dilute but still showing enough color to determine his genes (many psuedo-whites become so light that bay, black, brown and chestnut become imperceptible to most of us). So although I don't see any indication of pearl in his line (I looked back quite a few generations and only saw cream), there is still a chance he may have it hidden. That being said, I'm of the belief that he's a triple dilute with only cream and champange.

So your mare: Bluebell Melody is a double dilute (cream) and her color is what she's already named: amber champagne.

You're on the right track with your colors, congratulations!
As a last note, the hazel eyes is from the tiger eye gene, one when paired with champagne will reveal itself, but a single gene when not paired with champagne will hide. However, two tiger genes will offer bright green eyes, like her father.
Purple Lightning
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Purple Lightning »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Purple Lightning wrote:
You're correct about the freckles and champagne.
You're also partially correct about the fact that she's a double dilute of some sort (in this case champagne & another dilution gene). And she's not a triple dilute because otherwise she'd be a psuedo-white.
She is on a bay base (the differently colored legs and nose gives that away).

Her mother does appear to be a graying chestnut, but she also has flaxen (the light legs give the flaxen away).

AC Arabians don't carry any dilution genes, so her mother can't pass any on. So the dilution must come from the sire. And since we can see that your mare is a double-dilution and not a triple, the second gene CANNOT be pearl and MUST be cream (pearl is recessive and will only show itself with two genes or accompanied by cream).

This sire is a good example of a psuedo-white, on bay. He's a triple-dilute but still showing enough color to determine his genes (many psuedo-whites become so light that bay, black, brown and chestnut become imperceptible to most of us). So although I don't see any indication of pearl in his line (I looked back quite a few generations and only saw cream), there is still a chance he may have it hidden. That being said, I'm of the belief that he's a triple dilute with only cream and champange.

So your mare: Bluebell Melody is a double dilute (cream) and her color is what she's already named: amber champagne.

You're on the right track with your colors, congratulations!
As a last note, the hazel eyes is from the tiger eye gene, one when paired with champagne will reveal itself, but a single gene when not paired with champagne will hide. However, two tiger genes will offer bright green eyes, like her father.
Awesome! I came up with Amber Champagne after staring at that fantastic chart on Deviant art that I found a link to after posting this...I’m so crazy excited I got it right, haha! Thank you so much for your fabulous explanations. :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Purple Lightning wrote:
Awesome! I came up with Amber Champagne after staring at that fantastic chart on Deviant art that I found a link to after posting this...I’m so crazy excited I got it right, haha! Thank you so much for your fabulous explanations. :D
Once our HWO members begin to learn the basics, it's so much easier to aid them along. What I mean is, when we speak about certain things, they don't just get lost, they follow and understand.

It is exciting when you realize you're right on track.
So again congratulations!

Don't hesitate to ask if you get stuck again. We'll be around.
:D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 18, 2024 6:15 pm

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 6:15 pm