Community Forum

Snowflake Gene?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Shadow Scar
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Snowflake Gene?

Post by Shadow Scar »

Just a little confused with this gene. This mare has had four foals with only two carrying the snowflake gene, so I'm just a little confused on how to predict it being passed down. Is it dominant like silver or roan or recessive like flaxen? Or is it more complicated like the leopard and snowflake patterns? So confused!

Deep Nightmare
Zebracat1234
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Snowflake Gene?

Post by Zebracat1234 »

Shadow Scar wrote:Just a little confused with this gene. This mare has had four foals with only two carrying the snowflake gene, so I'm just a little confused on how to predict it being passed down. Is it dominant like silver or roan or recessive like flaxen? Or is it more complicated like the leopard and snowflake patterns? So confused!

Deep Nightmare
It has a 50-50 chance of being passed down, assuming the sire of her foal is solid. She has a single LP gene, since her sire had LP and her dam did not.

Lp is an "incomplete dominant", which I will quote below what wikipedia says about it to give you a better understanding:

"A dominant gene requires only a single copy to produce an affected phenotype; an incomplete dominant gene produces a different result depending on whether one or two copies are present. A horse's genotype may be lp/lp (homozygous recessive), Lp/lp (heterozygous), or Lp/Lp (homozygous dominant)."
Chincoteague Ponies | Thoroughbreds
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 18, 2024 6:20 pm

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 6:20 pm