Community Forum

I need help with these markings.

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
LillyBlade
Visit My Farm

I need help with these markings.

Post by LillyBlade »

I've been through the guides and I know she's a Brown Dun, but I can't decide which white marking she has. Is it Snowflake because of the spots on her shoulder, or Snowcap because of her rump. Can they be combined? Would she be Brown Dun Snowflake Snowcap? Is it Snowcap as a blanket term because that's the bigger white pattern?

Kickin' Up Dust
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: I need help with these markings.

Post by BlackOak2 »

LillyBlade wrote:I've been through the guides and I know she's a Brown Dun, but I can't decide which white marking she has. Is it Snowflake because of the spots on her shoulder, or Snowcap because of her rump. Can they be combined? Would she be Brown Dun Snowflake Snowcap? Is it Snowcap as a blanket term because that's the bigger white pattern?
Congratulations!
You've hit on almost all of her markings and color.

First, the difference between brown and bay (when just learning dun on base colors, I got them switched myself)... so maybe you meant bay when you actually said brown. Bay is a reddish-colored body with black points (legs, nose, ears...). Brown is a black-colored body with reddish points (stomach, nose...). When paired with the dun gene, bay get's washed out but very often brown turns into a gray coloration.

Generally speaking, if they show a blanket AND snowflakes, at least our community here on HWO, will only specify the blanket. Usually (and I really can't recall any that don't), when they have a blanket, they'll also have snowflakes somewhere, however, they can have snowflakes and no blanket, so that's the distinction we make.

Snowcap is generally reserved for double Lp, not single Lp. But if you want to call it snowcapped, then nobody's really going to argue the point.

Also, she has those socks. At this present time, there are no markings that are socks, stars, stripes, coronets and so forth. All of these white markings are from the tobiano gene, so she's also a tobiano carrier.
I don't breed for tobiano, so I don't make note of it in colors, but others will.

So, you might call her color bay dun hip blanket with tobiano or just bay dun blanket... or some other version of them.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
LillyBlade
Visit My Farm

Post by LillyBlade »

So the grey in her mane would not be from say a Silver gene, it's from the Dun dilution of her black mane.

Thank you so much, you gave me a lot of good information and it answered some other questions I had for my other horses!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

LillyBlade wrote:So the grey in her mane would not be from say a Silver gene, it's from the Dun dilution of her black mane.

Thank you so much, you gave me a lot of good information and it answered some other questions I had for my other horses!
Actually, it's the Lp that makes the mane and tail turn silver, making it look like she carries the silver gene.

Dun doesn't change the mane and tail coloration.
This is why, for leopard horses, to help define their adult coat colors, a picture is best taken as close to 1 year as possible.

Granted, for AC horses, that's not possible, since they are already 4 at the time of adoption... but the good news is, since Lp only shows up on shetlands and tarpans from the AC, it's relatively easy to make the distinction.
Tarpans from the AC, cannot carry any silver. They can only carry dun (which all of them carry), bay (which all of them are) and maybe sooty. The also carry Lp, sometimes as you see... and tobiano, sometimes as well.
Shetlands can carry just about any gene except tiger eye, champagne and gray... I've also never seen a double pearl or wild bay. ... Shetlands can be a little frustrating sometimes on colors... :D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
big daddy donut
Visit My Farm

Post by big daddy donut »

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm