Community Forum

Tobiano genes

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Pieta
Visit My Farm

Tobiano genes

Post by Pieta »

Hi!
I'm wondering how the tobiano gene is inherrited, and how can happen anything like that, that foal is solid colour, but both his parents are tobiano.
Maestoso

His mother

His father

I'm also windering how to increase chance of facial markings. Because that is my final breeding goal with Lipizzaner breed that I would breed a colt or a filly that is chestnut, black, brown or bay in base colour with white legs and facial markings and on that colour there will be greying gene.

Thank you for your help.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Tobiano genes

Post by BlackOak2 »

Pieta wrote:Hi!
I'm wondering how the tobiano gene is inherrited, and how can happen anything like that, that foal is solid colour, but both his parents are tobiano.
I'm also windering how to increase chance of facial markings. Because that is my final breeding goal with Lipizzaner breed that I would breed a colt or a filly that is chestnut, black, brown or bay in base colour with white legs and facial markings and on that colour there will be greying gene.

Thank you for your help.
Tobiano hasn't been studied too in-depth yet.
Please find this link helpful: http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... 17&t=15190

Plus, some direct answers:
Tobiano appears to work the same as the Lp as you will need both the switch gene (to turn it on) and the markings gene (to see what's there).
So one of two things happened to your foal, either both of the parents have only one switch gene and only passed on the non-switch gene, or neither parent passed on any markings. My first thought is that the foal inherited the markings, but not the switch. By crossing this horse to a marked horse, you likely will get marked offspring reminiscent of these parents.

As for facial markings, you will need to inject a horse with facial marking genes. Belgians are great for socks and blazes, tarpans generally have some alright markings and turkmene. Remember, if you only breed in one horse with those genes, you'll likely only get those markings and nothing else. Or at least for a long time. So if you want different types of markings, make sure you breed into different types of marked horses.

Feel free to add to that tobiano post if you find out any additional information as you play with the tobiano gene. :D
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Pieta
Visit My Farm

Re: Tobiano genes

Post by Pieta »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Pieta wrote:Hi!

Thank you for your help.
Tobiano hasn't been studied too in-depth yet.
Please find this link helpful: http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... 17&t=15190

Plus, some direct answers:
Tobiano appears to work the same as the Lp as you will need both the switch gene (to turn it on) and the markings gene (to see what's there).
So one of two things happened to your foal, either both of the parents have only one switch gene and only passed on the non-switch gene, or neither parent passed on any markings. My first thought is that the foal inherited the markings, but not the switch. By crossing this horse to a marked horse, you likely will get marked offspring reminiscent of these parents.

As for facial markings, you will need to inject a horse with facial marking genes. Belgians are great for socks and blazes, tarpans generally have some alright markings and turkmene. Remember, if you only breed in one horse with those genes, you'll likely only get those markings and nothing else. Or at least for a long time. So if you want different types of markings, make sure you breed into different types of marked horses.

Feel free to add to that tobiano post if you find out any additional information as you play with the tobiano gene. :D
Thank you, these piece of information. It was very useful. I didn't know that tobiano gene works the same or at least similar as Lp gene. It really helps to understand that ;)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 04, 2024 9:15 pm

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:15 pm