Community Forum

Dilutes?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

Dilutes?

Post by RoyalCrownAcres »

What color! I’m assuming champagne and pearl have a role somewhere? I very well (and probably am) wrong.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1994755
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Dilutes?

Post by BlackOak2 »

RoyalCrownAcres wrote:What color! I’m assuming champagne and pearl have a role somewhere? I very well (and probably am) wrong.
Well for a very light colored horse (bordering on pseudo-white), you wouldn't be incorrect in your guess, champagne and double pearl will create a pseudo-white.

This horse is pink-skinned and blue-eyed, so that indicates at least a double dilute (double cream or cream and pearl).
And since your horse came from a pair of cream carriers, then this is double cream and not cream and pearl (pearl cannot hide when paired with a cream gene).
There is also no indication of champagne (no freckles), and neither parent has freckles either.

So we now go to what base, is it black, bay, brown, or chestnut? Bay and brown have distinctive points, in negative of one another (bay has darker legs, ears and nose and brown has lighter legs, stomach and nose), so we also know that your horse is not an agouti. This leaves just black and chestnut. Since your horse is light with a lighter mane and tail, this tells us that she's chestnut based.

Thus we come to the color: Cremello.
(With some tobiano thrown in there)
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

Post by RoyalCrownAcres »

BlackOak2 wrote:
RoyalCrownAcres wrote:What color! I’m assuming champagne and pearl have a role somewhere? I very well (and probably am) wrong.
Well for a very light colored horse (bordering on pseudo-white), you wouldn't be incorrect in your guess, champagne and double pearl will create a pseudo-white.

This horse is pink-skinned and blue-eyed, so that indicates at least a double dilute (double cream or cream and pearl).
And since your horse came from a pair of cream carriers, then this is double cream and not cream and pearl (pearl cannot hide when paired with a cream gene).
There is also no indication of champagne (no freckles), and neither parent has freckles either.

So we now go to what base, is it black, bay, brown, or chestnut? Bay and brown have distinctive points, in negative of one another (bay has darker legs, ears and nose and brown has lighter legs, stomach and nose), so we also know that your horse is not an agouti. This leaves just black and chestnut. Since your horse is light with a lighter mane and tail, this tells us that she's chestnut based.

Thus we come to the color: Cremello.
(With some tobiano thrown in there)
Thank you so much for explaining!
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

RoyalCrownAcres wrote:
Thank you so much for explaining!
:D