Community Forum

Three Mares

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
ivy020
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Three Mares

Post by ivy020 »

Hello! I've been trying to figure out the genetics for a mare and her offspring and am stuck.

Showtym Grand Ivy AR

I think she's heterozygous for appaloosa, PATN2, grey, and possibly extension?

No idea about her offspring, aha.

BP Grand Aftershock

BP Moonlit Ivy

Thank you!
AltNazarach
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Three Mares

Post by AltNazarach »

ivy020 wrote:Hello! I've been trying to figure out the genetics for a mare and her offspring and am stuck.

Thank you!
Hi there,

Showtym Grand Ivy seems to me like a Chestnut Dun (or Red Dun) with Lp (based on her foal picture and as the varnish from leopard complex tends to darken all areas exept the white ones; also, one foal has obvious green eyes, so she has to have one tiger eye which doesn't show as it's a recessive gene)
so:
e/e A_ D_ Lp/n t/N

Moonlit Ivy is relativly simple; she is a Bay Dun with Tiger Eye (a clear off color body with a stripe along her spine shows the dun; bay, as she has black points and a brown body; the green eyes come from double tiger eye genes - as mentioned, they wouldn't show if it was just one)
so:
E/e A/a D_ t/t

Grand Aftershock seems like a Golden Champagne Dun Tobiano with LP to me (lightened body like Moonlit Ivy, freckles around her nose which indicate champagne, a sock from tobiano and the appaloosa blanket and snowflakes from lp; also, like her dam, she has a hidden tiger eye which is visible due to champagne)
so:
e/e A_? D_ Ch/n To/n t/N

I hope this helped a bit ^^
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

ivy020 wrote:Hello! I've been trying to figure out the genetics for a mare and her offspring and am stuck.

Thank you!
Well.... Naz posted before I could finish!!!! :lol:

And I agree. But it might help to see it typed up another way (plus I am already done with the write-up)...

Well, you're quite close! Congrats!

Showtym certainly is Lp with patn2 (we haven't yet located or bred a patn1, in game). She is a red-based, so chestnut. Her genes so far would look like: ee Lplp. Plus, but the looks of her foal picture, she also carries a dun gene. Her father was a tiger eye, so she has a hidden tiger eye gene. She did not inherit the gray gene (she'd look more like her dam at 13, the second picture that was taken). The graying appearance she has is from the leopard varnish gene. Any horse that has leopard will varnish, to a degree. Along with that is silvering of the mane and tail and even a type of roaning or fleabitten effect coming out as the horse ages, but not nearly as impressive or all-encompassing as the graying gene becomes.

Now as for her offspring...
Aftershock is difficult to describe, not only does she lack the yearling photo (an almost necessary one when dealing with Lp horses), she also doesn't have a newborn one. What I can say is that she has a champagne gene and also a cream gene. She is not a double cream. She inherited dun. She appears to be a chestnut base and not a bay base. And of course, tobiano. She does reveal the tiger eye gene she has, but it's only one (two would have made them appear much brighter, hazel-green in color). And that's as close as I can get. Although I don't believe I missed anything.

Moonlit is a lot easier. You can easily see the tiger eye, since it's not paired with champagne, this indicates it's double tiger. Champagne will only reveal a single tiger when paired together, otherwise it's hidden. She's on a bay base with dun.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
ivy020
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by ivy020 »

BlackOak2 wrote: . . .
AltNazarach wrote:. . .
Thank you both so much!