Community Forum

Two pearl and champagne?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Royal Pie
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Two pearl and champagne?

Post by Royal Pie »

I've recently adopted this mare and I'm trying to identify her color.
It's clear that she carries quite a lot of genes that are Tobiano, Silver and Champagne. Her base color is black.
I just can't really figure out what dilutions she has. I'm currently leaning on a Double Pearl, as her eyes are dark, but I don't really have a reference picture for it.

What would the correct name be? Silver Black Pearl Champagne Tobiano?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Two pearl and champagne?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Royal Pie wrote:I've recently adopted this mare and I'm trying to identify her color.
It's clear that she carries quite a lot of genes that are Tobiano, Silver and Champagne. Her base color is black.
I just can't really figure out what dilutions she has. I'm currently leaning on a Double Pearl, as her eyes are dark, but I don't really have a reference picture for it.

What would the correct name be? Silver Black Pearl Champagne Tobiano?
You appear to have hit all the important genes.
Tobiano, silver, champagne, black.
Personally, I don't believe there are any cream or pearl genes. The light color comes from the combination of champagne and silver on the black base. Both champagne and silver lighten the body already, combining the two does so at a greater amount (of course) and does make it appear as a double or triple dilute.
So your mare might be considered a pseudo-double-dilute or pseudo-triple-dilute.

Her daughter will be the same color.

Something like: Silver Dappled Classic Champagne Tobiano
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Royal Pie
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Two pearl and champagne?

Post by Royal Pie »

BlackOak2 wrote:You appear to have hit all the important genes.
Tobiano, silver, champagne, black.
Personally, I don't believe there are any cream or pearl genes. The light color comes from the combination of champagne and silver on the black base. Both champagne and silver lighten the body already, combining the two does so at a greater amount (of course) and does make it appear as a double or triple dilute.
So your mare might be considered a pseudo-double-dilute or pseudo-triple-dilute.

Her daughter will be the same color.

Something like: Silver Dappled Classic Champagne Tobiano
I guess you may be right, seeing the color guide's reference pictures got me quite confused as combinations of silver and champagne on black all resulted in a darker color, kind of like a chocolate brown, while this girl looks almost creamish.

I'll probably try some cross test to make sure but for now I'll go with your guess. Thank you!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat May 18, 2024 7:08 pm

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 7:08 pm