Community Forum

Smoky black?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
aersel
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Smoky black?

Post by aersel »

Anyone care to help me figure out what color this guy is? http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1892

Sire is perlino and mom appears to be a plain bay. Smoky black was my guess, but I'll admit I'm new to this!
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Smoky black?

Post by Argent »

brownskin
Acantha
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Acantha »

I've heard it called Smoky Brown more often than brownskin. IMO, it sounds better too. I have not heard a consensus for brown + 2 cream yet..I've heard Moreno tossed around.
Fuscontidox
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Fuscontidox »

it looks like a seal bay to me
aersel
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by aersel »

Interesting! Thanks all. I had never heard of brownskin but smoky brown/brownskin does make sense... and Acantha, I agree that smoky brown sounds better, maybe more P.C. too. :)

Fuscontidox, I had the impression that since the sire is perlino this horse can not be seal brown?
Fuscontidox
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Fuscontidox »

well the dam is a bay, and its not always that certain genes such as pearl are passed. I was just thinking maybe he carries for it but he doesn't really present it, though I could be wrong, but I never thought smokeys to have the lighter rings and spots like a seal has so...
Argent
Alpha Tester
Alpha Tester
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent »

More PC? Brown + buckskin = brownskin
Acantha
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Acantha »

Bay and Brown are both agouti, so they're on the same locus. Bay is represented as A, Brown as At, and not agouti as a. Bay is dominant over brown, so one parent must be AAt, and the other is also AAt or Aa. Your horse has to be AtAt or Ata.

Brownskin sounds like redskin to me.

Seal Bay and Brown are the same color, just different ways to say it--like chestnut an sorrel. Genetically, there's no difference. How chestnut/sorrel are used seems to be mostly regional. #randomfactoid.
aersel
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by aersel »

Acantha wrote:Bay and Brown are both agouti, so they're on the same locus. Bay is represented as A, Brown as At, and not agouti as a. Bay is dominant over brown, so one parent must be AAt, and the other is also AAt or Aa. Your horse has to be AtAt or Ata.

Brownskin sounds like redskin to me.

Seal Bay and Brown are the same color, just different ways to say it--like chestnut an sorrel. Genetically, there's no difference. How chestnut/sorrel are used seems to be mostly regional. #randomfactoid.
Wow. Thanks for all of the info! You all are a lot more knowledgeable about color than I am. I didn't even realize that brown and bay were on the same locus :mrgreen: My discipline in real life doesn't seem to focus on color genetics very much, but they sure are fun and interesting to learn.

I thought the same thing about brownskin, but I agree it makes sense as a term, etymologically speaking.
Rose
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Rose »

Interesting to read this discussion :) I call it brownskin too, and never really thought the term to be offensive. I can see where you are coming from though, but to me it just makes sense as a name.
I think this young lady might be a silver brownskin: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/4990
She has rather creamy 'tan points' though, but that might be her mother's mealy she might have inherited.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu May 09, 2024 12:06 am

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:06 am