Community Forum

Two hourses' colours

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
melanta
Visit My Farm

Two hourses' colours

Post by melanta »

Hey, could anybody give me some thoughts on these guys' colours? I'm trying to get a hang of colour genetics but I'm still not sure about these two. Thanks!

Barrio

Soldi
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Two hourses' colours

Post by BlackOak2 »

melanta wrote:
Hey, could anybody give me some thoughts on these guys' colours? I'm trying to get a hang of colour genetics but I'm still not sure about these two. Thanks!

Colors will come. Always start with your base coats first, then apply your modifiers and you'll get there.

We'll start with Bario.
There is no drastic color changes on the nose and lower legs to indicate bay, so bay is out. With no nose change and no lower-stomach shift, we can also rule out brown. This leaves is with possible chestnut or black. So lets save that and put that to the side.
Next we start adding the modifiers. We notice that your stallion has PINK skin and BLUE eyes. This tells us that he must be at least a double dilute. Either a double cream or a cream and pearl. By giving a quick glance at his parents and grandparents, you can easily see that they all appear to be cream carriers, buckskins, cremellos, smoky blacks... So we can determine that your stallion, Bario is a double cream.
I'm sure that you've noticed and are still questioning, why is there that weird line on his neck? That's one of the marks that dun makes (you can find the dun study in the links in my signature, below my post, it will offer much more insight into what dun can look like). Unless you already understand and have recognized dun on him. :D In which case, I'm just repeating what you already know. :lol:
So, Bario might be called something like: Smoky Cream Grullo, 'Smoky' indicates single cream on black or brown, 'Cream' indicates the same thing, a cream gene on black or brown, by using them both, you're indicating two creams. 'Grullo' is when black is paired with dun. Grullo is generally used for males (it's a spanish word), while grulla is generally used for females.
However, it's your decision how you want to indicate your colors. Keep them in a style that you can identify quickly.

Now for Soldi.
Soldi, I'm a little less sure on, myself. Dilutes are not yet a strong suit for me. So I get caught up by them still. Silverine or Raikit, Totina sometimes and even Nazarach, along with a few others, have come through and corrected me on them. They work with more dilutes for longer than I have and can pick up on things I still miss.
What I am sure of is that he's a double dilute as well. But in his case, his dilution is champagne and cream. Champagne will always have freckles around the muzzle and eye. They may be quite hard to see, but they are always apparent. What I'm unsure about is the base color. I keep waffling between bay and black. But bay is usually more golden-shifted, like his mother. If you compare the yearling photos, it's quite more clear. So I'm settling on his base being black.
I see no other indicators of other modifiers. He may carry hidden pangare (it doesn't show on black). His color might be called: Classic Cream
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
melanta
Visit My Farm

Re: Two hourses' colours

Post by melanta »

Colors will come. Always start with your base coats first, then apply your modifiers and you'll get there
Omg, thanks for taking your time! Such a good explanation.

Yess - then I was right to suggest Barrio is Smoky Cream (:
And yeah, I was definitely wondering about that mark but didn't think of dun.. Now it makes sense.

Soldi is harder to figure out for me as well, so it's a good direction. I'll keep loking into it.

Thank you a lot!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun May 05, 2024 10:05 pm

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:05 pm