Community Forum

Not sure about this one

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Cottens
Visit My Farm

Not sure about this one

Post by Cottens »

Hi !
I think this horse is a liver bay dun, but I'm not really sure.
Storm

Also, I would like to know if I guessed the dam right :
Ivette

I think she's a liver grulla.

Thanks ! :)
Elaina Brewster
Visit My Farm

Re: Not sure about this one

Post by Elaina Brewster »

Cottens wrote:Hi !
I think this horse is a liver bay dun, but I'm not really sure.
Storm

Also, I would like to know if I guessed the dam right :
Ivette

I think she's a liver grulla.

Thanks ! :)
Both are Bay duns
Cottens
Visit My Farm

Post by Cottens »

Elaina Brewster wrote:.
Thanks ! Are you sure about the dam ? She looks too greyish to be bay... Is it because of the dun gene ?

Anyway, I have a new lady and I have a hard time guessing her color :
Pearl

At first, I thought she was a perlino, but her mane looks too light... So maybe a silver perlino ?
Elaina Brewster
Visit My Farm

Post by Elaina Brewster »

Cottens wrote:
Elaina Brewster wrote:.
Thanks ! Are you sure about the dam ? She looks too greyish to be bay... Is it because of the dun gene ?

Anyway, I have a new lady and I have a hard time guessing her color :
Pearl

At first, I thought she was a perlino, but her mane looks too light... So maybe a silver perlino ?
yes the dun gene causes the greyish look

Your horse there is a Silver Perlino
Cottens
Visit My Farm

Post by Cottens »

Elaina Brewster wrote: yes the dun gene causes the greyish look

Your horse there is a Silver Perlino
Okay :)

You're a pro, thanks !! :D
Cottens
Visit My Farm

Post by Cottens »

I have two new horses :
They both seems to be at least buckskin :

This one seems to be mealy buckskin :
Galaxy

---
And I'm not really sure about her, but I think she has the dun gene... So dunskin, which is strange, because neither of the parents have the dun gene :
Beauty
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Cottens wrote:I have two new horses :

Galaxy

---
And I'm not really sure about her, but I think she has the dun gene... So dunskin, which is strange, because neither of the parents have the dun gene :
Beauty
Galaxy is indeed a buckskin pangare (aka mealy), but there is also dun there, do you see the stripes at the top of his black legs? That's another indication of the dun gene.

Beauty you also have correct, She is also a buckskin dun (aka dunskin), and she inherited the dun from her dam. Pearl has the dun gene, though on HWO, we do have such a thing as 'cryptic' which means, so lightly expressed to be unseen. But you can see it quite readily in Pearl's pedigree, especially on Poets Ageless Dream, the dam, which has a style of dun that shows minimal descriptive factors (no stripes at all), just the dun mask.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Cottens wrote:I have two new horses :

Galaxy

---
Beauty
Galaxy is indeed a buckskin pangare (aka mealy), but there is also dun there, do you see the stripes at the top of his black legs? That's another indication of the dun gene.

Beauty you also have correct, She is also a buckskin dun (aka dunskin), and she inherited the dun from her dam. Pearl has the dun gene, though on HWO, we do have such a thing as 'cryptic' which means, so lightly expressed to be unseen. But you can see it quite readily in Pearl's pedigree, especially on Poets Ageless Dream, the dam, which has a style of dun that shows minimal descriptive factors (no stripes at all), just the dun mask.
As a last note, cryptic's often you can't tell if it carries the gene or not, until it appears on the foals. So unless you know they're homozygous for the gene, trial and error is the only real way to know.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Cottens
Visit My Farm

Post by Cottens »

BlackOak2 wrote: Galaxy is indeed a buckskin pangare (aka mealy), but there is also dun there, do you see the stripes at the top of his black legs? That's another indication of the dun gene.
I was not sure if I was seeing things or if he really has the dun gene :D
BlackOak2 wrote: Beauty you also have correct, She is also a buckskin dun (aka dunskin), and she inherited the dun from her dam. Pearl has the dun gene, though on HWO, we do have such a thing as 'cryptic' which means, so lightly expressed to be unseen. But you can see it quite readily in Pearl's pedigree, especially on Poets Ageless Dream, the dam, which has a style of dun that shows minimal descriptive factors (no stripes at all), just the dun mask.
Ooh ! Okay, thanks !
The dam gave me a new foal, she looks exactly like her mother, so she must have the dun gene too !
BlackOak2 wrote: As a last note, cryptic's often you can't tell if it carries the gene or not, until it appears on the foals. So unless you know they're homozygous for the gene, trial and error is the only real way to know.
I like this x) If it's too easy, it's no fun :D
Cottens
Visit My Farm

Post by Cottens »

BlackOak2 wrote: As a last note, cryptic's often you can't tell if it carries the gene or not, until it appears on the foals. So unless you know they're homozygous for the gene, trial and error is the only real way to know.
I forgot, but I also wanted to ask :
Is the dark tip of the ears caused by the dun gene ?
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 3:25 am

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:25 am