Community Forum

Not sure about this one

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Not sure about this one

Post by BlackOak2 »

Cottens wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: As a last note, cryptic's often you can't tell if it carries the gene or not, until it appears on the foals. So unless you know they're homozygous for the gene, trial and error is the only real way to know.
I forgot, but I also wanted to ask :
Is the dark tip of the ears caused by the dun gene ?
Look in my signature (just below my post), go to my quick links and look for the dun study that's in my publications. It will offer you a list of all the indicators for dun and examples of each. If you can't find it, here's the direct link:

http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... 13&t=11515

Short answer, yes, it CAN be a dun expression.
Longer answer, no, it's more likely from the bay gene. Dun expression on the ears comes across a few different ways and can be hidden by or enlightened by the base color of the horse itself. Take a closer look at the study, I wrote it all down at length because it is quite the interesting gene, just like they all are. :mrgreen:
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Cottens
Visit My Farm

Post by Cottens »

BlackOak2 wrote: Look in my signature (just below my post), go to my quick links and look for the dun study that's in my publications. It will offer you a list of all the indicators for dun and examples of each. If you can't find it, here's the direct link:

Longer answer, no, it's more likely from the bay gene. Dun expression on the ears comes across a few different ways and can be hidden by or enlightened by the base color of the horse itself. Take a closer look at the study, I wrote it all down at length because it is quite the interesting gene, just like they all are. :mrgreen:
I already take a look at your study (but I didn't read it, only looked at the images :oops: ) and didn't see the dark tip in the list of indicators. All my dun horses have the dark tip on the ears, so it bothered me, but now that you mention it, they also all have a bay base !
I'll take a closer look at your study :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Cottens wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: Look in my signature (just below my post), go to my quick links and look for the dun study that's in my publications. It will offer you a list of all the indicators for dun and examples of each. If you can't find it, here's the direct link:

I already take a look at your study (but I didn't read it, only looked at the images :oops: ) and didn't see the dark tip in the list of indicators. All my dun horses have the dark tip on the ears, so it bothered me, but now that you mention it, they also all have a bay base !
I'll take a closer look at your study :D
I know, it's LONG! :lol:

If you come across more questions, let us know (me or the community) a great deal of us can answer your questions, as you've already found out. :mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Cottens
Visit My Farm

Post by Cottens »

BlackOak2 wrote: I know, it's LONG! :lol:

If you come across more questions, let us know (me or the community) a great deal of us can answer your questions, as you've already found out. :mrgreen:
Yeah XD Anyway, this is a great way to improve my english while learning more about the game :D

Thanks ! I have a new filly, I think it's a little early to say her color, but god :o , she seems to turn buckskin ! Neither of the parents have the creme gene XD (the sire is bay and the dam is black !)

Merry

Maybe she will darken until becoming bay, or it means one of the parents is hiding something... (as I believe mutations aren't possible, it would have been very funny if it was the case, hope it will be implemented :D)
I will see tomorrow :D I don't have any turn left for now.

I'm so much in love with this game :P I played since I was young to Howrse, but the game has no mechanics regarding genetics, apart from the potential of horses (it would be the HGP here). I loved this game when I was younger, but now they simplified some mechanics and the game become more like a milk cow... I just keep playing because of nostalgia, but it's not funny anymore :cry: Compared to HWO, it looks like a collection game now, not a breeding game.
Anyway, I'm just happy I found this game, I was thinking about making my own horse game, but this one is so good, I don't think I need to do my game anymore :) I know it's a little of topic, but I just wanted to say this :mrgreen:
Graya
Visit My Farm

Post by Graya »

Cottens wrote:Maybe she will darken until becoming bay, or it means one of the parents is hiding something.
One of the parents is hiding something!

I'm not the best at dilutions BUT I do know that a single cream doesn't show up on a black base. The dam carries the cream gene but doesn't show it. So the foal has a bay base and one cream gene, making the foal Buckskin.
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

Graya wrote:
Cottens wrote:Maybe she will darken until becoming bay, or it means one of the parents is hiding something.
One of the parents is hiding something!

I'm not the best at dilutions BUT I do know that a single cream doesn't show up on a black base. The dam carries the cream gene but doesn't show it. So the foal has a bay base and one cream gene, making the foal Buckskin.
The single cream on black does show, but only on a foal coat. As the mare is an AC horse, she has no foal pictures, so there is no way to tell she hides the cream, except this one - throwing a clearly cream foal from a non-cream stallion.
Cottens
Visit My Farm

Post by Cottens »

Tjigra wrote:
Graya wrote: One of the parents is hiding something!

The single cream on black does show, but only on a foal coat. As the mare is an AC horse, she has no foal pictures, so there is no way to tell she hides the cream, except this one - throwing a clearly cream foal from a non-cream stallion.
I didn't know this ! Thank you for your help :)
Those AC horses are giving me headhaches XD
Graya
Visit My Farm

Post by Graya »

Tjigra wrote:The single cream on black does show, but only on a foal coat. As the mare is an AC horse, she has no foal pictures, so there is no way to tell she hides the cream, except this one - throwing a clearly cream foal from a non-cream stallion
Thank you for the correction!
Cottens wrote:I didn't know this ! Thank you for your help :)
Those AC horses are giving me headhaches XD
Of course!

Lol my herd on my main account is crawling with cryptic duns and I can never be sure if I've got their colors right xD
Tjigra
Visit My Farm

Post by Tjigra »

I've been plagued by cryptic duns for ages, and if that wasn't enough, now cryptic flaxen has joined. Not by AC horses though, so there are surprises waiting to happen very far down the line too :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Cottens wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: I know, it's LONG! :lol:

Yeah XD Anyway, this is a great way to improve my english while learning more about the game :D

Thanks ! I have a new filly, I think it's a little early to say her color, but god :o , she seems to turn buckskin ! Neither of the parents have the creme gene XD (the sire is bay and the dam is black !)

Maybe she will darken until becoming bay, or it means one of the parents is hiding something... (as I believe mutations aren't possible, it would have been very funny if it was the case, hope it will be implemented :D)
I will see tomorrow :D I don't have any turn left for now.

I'm so much in love with this game :P I played since I was young to Howrse, but the game has no mechanics regarding genetics, apart from the potential of horses (it would be the HGP here). I loved this game when I was younger, but now they simplified some mechanics and the game become more like a milk cow... I just keep playing because of nostalgia, but it's not funny anymore :cry: Compared to HWO, it looks like a collection game now, not a breeding game.
Anyway, I'm just happy I found this game, I was thinking about making my own horse game, but this one is so good, I don't think I need to do my game anymore :) I know it's a little of topic, but I just wanted to say this :mrgreen:
It's as the previous posts have said. :D So I needn't add anything for colors.

As far as Howrse is concerned however, there are quite a few retired Howrse players that now play HWO quite happily, including myself. I was one of the very early joiners of Howrse when there was just a French and US (or english) servers. Before even the canadian server. I was on there for YEARS. I quite about the same time that groups... or teams... came out. It got way to pay-to-play and the new system they had set up for training your horse to increase their genetic potential... THAT was simply ridiculous. It used to be that you could build a bloodline straight from foundation horses. It took time, but was still doable. Anyway, you'll find more than a few words that could be said over Howrse and from quite a few players around here. :lol: We even had a Howrse bashing topic somewhere around here. That's NOT what it started out as, but the negative experiences started coming out... and it did turn into a bit of a Howrse bash. *shrugs*
So... HWO is better. :mrgreen: In so many ways. :mrgreen:
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 8:51 am

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:51 am