Community Forum

Belgian Pony

Until registries are in place the Breeding Communities forum will be for players to work together towards creating or improving their favourite breeds.
Forum rules
Each breed may have only one topic. The first post in the topic is to be informative. It should help explain the breed, and breeding goals; advice on how to select mares and stallions; and links to ideal Stallions available for breeding.
Keeping a directory of breeders working on the same goal is also helpful.
All new threads must be approved.
Tom
Admin
Admin
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Belgian Pony

Post by Tom »

Belgian Pony!

The Belgian pony is a cross between Shetland Ponies and Belgians. The goal is to create giant ponies.

Tom
Admin
Admin
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Belgian Pony

Post by Tom »

Giant Pony.
Tom
Admin
Admin
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tom »

This pony isn't as giant.
Tom
Admin
Admin
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Tom »

Belgian Ponies are now for sale!

Virgo
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Virgo »

Tom wrote:Belgian Ponies are now for sale!

Can we actually make this a thing? i.e. Belgian Pony becomes a recognized breed. ;)
For your consideration

Knightshade
Metallic Smokey Black Belgian Stallion
#1 Log Pull and Marathon Driving Horse of All Time | RH Level 10: 54.31 ft | $5,000 LC
SeinaMacabre
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by SeinaMacabre »

Virgo wrote:-snip-
    • In future you will be able to register your own breeds :)
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198052805042]Image[/url]
Need help starting at HWO? Check out my Guide!
sableantelope
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by sableantelope »

I had an idea for breed description, just my own take on it. Please feel free anyone to edit and maybe we can come up with a guide line everyone's happy with!!
The Belgian Pony is a large pony noted for their strength and intelligence. Although 'horse sized' they maintain pony confirmation with short, stocky limbs shorter than their body length. The breed is used mainly for carriage and wagon driving and light draught work.
Smart and with decent agility for their build, the breed is strong and capable of putting in a solid day's work of hauling logs to a lumber yard, or pulling a gig along a hilly park hill. A 'roman' nose is encouraged in the breed, to help warm chilly inhaled air on cold working morning and help ensure a strong, steady oxygen flow. Tails should be naturally short, 'bob tailed', to keep the tail from becoming entangled in harness and to prevent sweat being flicked back onto the driver. Feet should be feathered to help protect the pasterns and lower legs from abrasions and thorns when working in rugged terrain. Short cannons bones are advantageous. 'Bull neck', a short, thick neck, is allowed and encouraged as it allows for superior pulling power. Head and ears should be small, with large eyes- 'pig eye' should be avoided.

Solid colour coats should display Pangare or mealy colouration, a nod to the breed's Belgian Draught heritage. Very light skin and coat colours should be avoided because of the increased risk of sunburn and sensitivity to wearing harness. Grey with dark skin is allowed. They should not carry the champagne gene as this is not found in Shetland Ponies. Flaxen mane is allowed, particularly 'Belgian Sorrel', as is silver dapple, bay is also acceptable as are all colours of roan. Pinto is allowed but not Appaloosa/leopard spotted. Stockings, socks and coronets should ideally be on all four legs, whether black or white.
Yeah, so just a jumping off point based on mixed traits of both breeds. What do you guys think? What should we set for ideal size?
Weaving
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Weaving »

Does this little one count as a Belgian Pony? (Is she big enough) Such a neat idea!
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/171247
haltanny
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by haltanny »

I have several of colts of this cross that I will be offering for sale. I have a variety of colors, such as champagne, palominos, roans in various combinations. I will post them here once I decide who wont fit in my program.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sun May 19, 2024 6:42 pm

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 6:42 pm