Community Forum

What colour is this?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Showtym
Visit My Farm

What colour is this?

Post by Showtym »

This filly has a strange mane and tail, could someone please explain how it works?

Showtym
Visit My Farm

Re: What colour is this?

Post by Showtym »

And this colt???

Veterinarian
Visit My Farm

Post by Veterinarian »

Arabmania wrote:This filly has a strange mane and tail, could someone please explain how it works?

This one is A mealy/pangere Flaxen Chestnut! Her basic coat colour is chestnut and then we have a few counter shading genes we can see: the mealy or pangere (they are the same gene) and the flaxen.

The flaxen gene is a trait that horses have which causes the mane and tail of chestnut-colored horses to be noticeably lighter than the body coat color. Some describe the different colouration of the mane or tale and body as a golden blonde shade.

Now the mealy/pangere gene is expressed by a lightening of the horses soft spots, generally the muzzle, belly, flank, elbow and/or eyes, which is most easily seen in HWO. It easily identified by a characteristic lightened muzzle. Now you can see that you horse does not have that lightning in any parts if its body that I told. If you remember the horse when it was newborn then you would of definitely seen the lightning in the horses muzzle and around its eyes. However, now it can also be noticed behind the horses ear.

However, it might instead of being a mealy/pangere flaxen chestnut type a mealy/pangere flaxen dun chestnut. The fact that it does not have lightened muzzle or legs or (around its) eyes really confuses me
Last edited by Veterinarian on Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veterinarian
Visit My Farm

Post by Veterinarian »

Arabmania wrote:And this colt???

Though the horse is not old enough for me to actually tell you what genes he has (the horse should at least be mature enough to breed) I am guessing a sooty, mealy bay (not a wild bay as the darkening, which is more prominent because of the sooty gene, on his legs is going way up)

Now you can definitely see the mealy/pangere gene on his muzzle, around his eyes, belly and leg as his coat colour is not spreading towards the black on his legs and muzzle.

The sooty is a countershading gene that is darkening the horses coat colour. It is incredibly noticeable on your horse as it darkens the 'white' parts of your horse.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Veterinarian wrote:
Arabmania wrote:...
Veterinarian described both of these horses' potential genes quite well. So I'm only adding in enough to correct or offer further insight.

Almost every horse born in HWO will look like they have pangare. This is foal pangare and can completely disappear when they blow their foal coat. This doesn't mean they have pangare, it's simply a baby-defining trait that even real-life horses are born with.

So the chestnut doesn't appear to actually have any pangare at all. However, she does have dun. It's a bit cryptic, without any real definitions. There's no stripes to speak of. But along the backbone, there is a limited dun stripping and the body itself does have a dun mask (if you look there at the front of her chest, it suddenly gets much darker). Plus one parent distinctly shows tiger eye, so she's a carrier of that as well.

As for Royal Spirit, he appears to be a bay, just like his parents. With tiger eye. But as Veterinarian has also said, knowing exact adult colors can be hard until after the foal coat is blown.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Showtym
Visit My Farm

Post by Showtym »

Veterinarian wrote:
Arabmania wrote:And this colt???

Though the horse is not old enough for me to actually tell you what genes he has (the horse should at least be mature enough to breed) I am guessing a sooty, mealy bay (not a wild bay as the darkening, which is more prominent because of the sooty gene, on his legs is going way up)

Now you can definitely see the mealy/pangere gene on his muzzle, around his eyes, belly and leg as his coat colour is not spreading towards the black on his legs and muzzle.

The sooty is a countershading gene that is darkening the horses coat colour. It is incredibly noticeable on your horse as it darkens the 'white' parts of your horse.
Thanks so much
Showtym
Visit My Farm

Post by Showtym »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Veterinarian wrote: ...
Veterinarian described both of these horses' potential genes quite well. So I'm only adding in enough to correct or offer further insight.

Almost every horse born in HWO will look like they have pangare. This is foal pangare and can completely disappear when they blow their foal coat. This doesn't mean they have pangare, it's simply a baby-defining trait that even real-life horses are born with.

So the chestnut doesn't appear to actually have any pangare at all. However, she does have dun. It's a bit cryptic, without any real definitions. There's no stripes to speak of. But along the backbone, there is a limited dun stripping and the body itself does have a dun mask (if you look there at the front of her chest, it suddenly gets much darker). Plus one parent distinctly shows tiger eye, so she's a carrier of that as well.

As for Royal Spirit, he appears to be a bay, just like his parents. With tiger eye. But as Veterinarian has also said, knowing exact adult colors can be hard until after the foal coat is blown.
Ahhh it's so wired how thier belly goes white. It's happened a few times
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

There have been quite unique foal coats. Take a look at the favorites post, there's a bunch in there.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... =8&t=10222
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Showtym
Visit My Farm

Post by Showtym »

BlackOak2 wrote:
There have been quite unique foal coats. Take a look at the favorites post, there's a bunch in there.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... =8&t=10222
they are really cool
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Mon May 06, 2024 12:18 am

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:18 am